It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:58

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Changing color settings on XS-3D
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2021, 21:10 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Since I bought my scaler about 8 years ago I never did any proper settings improving picture quality.
I always used factory settings.

Now that I have some free time on my vacation, my idea is to do some tweaking with Noise reduction, Color and Hue changes in the menu system.
I'm not 100% satisfied with the current factory settings when I watch LD's on my 32" LCD screen.
Skin tones on all actors are pink-reddish almost looking like tomatoes and certain scenes looks like mosaic paintings.
Picture is not always looking natural instead it sometimes looks artificial in certain scenes through the scaler.
Not using the scaler which means watching LD's directly on my LCD screen A/V is even worse in dark nighttime scenes, skin tones on every actor turns very brown and strange uneven clouding smear appears onscreen in dark scenes. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Choosing between plague and colera I rather prefer watching LD's through my XS-3D even if I never had any time to properly dial in color settings.

Changing settings:
White level?
Should this settings bar be low or high, can't remember if it's from 0 - 50?

Black level?

Color RED?

Color GREEN?

Hue RED?
Should this setting bar be low or high, can't remember if it's from 0 - 50?

Hue GREEN?

Different noise reduction settings for a natural improved picture:
Mosquito noise?

Vertical noise reduction?

Horizontal noise reduction?

Luminance?
Should this settingc bar be low or high, can't remember if it's from 0 - 50?

Chroma?

Over all, I'm quite pleased with my XS-3D but need to do some more thorough tweaking with color and noise settings to get an even better picture quality when I watch LD's.
The manual isn't very informative how much to raise or lower each setting?
Any good advice I can get from the experts using scalers?

Thanks for your help.

Post subject: Re: Changing color settings on XS-3D
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2021, 21:54 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

You need Video Essentials (1996) [ID3487ISF]

or

Video Essentials (1996) [ID3487ISF]

You can use Video Standard, A (1989) [LD-101]
But its a lot harder and not as self explanatory.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2021, 10:22 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Those video enhancement discs seem to be difficult to use for proper color settings?
I have dialed in all settings on my TV which shows a wonderful resolution watching broadcast channels.

Now the same thing needs to be done to my Lumagen.
What is the best way to get natural skin tones?

If I increase black level on my scaler, picture turns more whitish with faded and washed out colors.
The black bar I have only set to a low level.

When I increased white level, IIRC color settings turned much better.
So I set the white bar much higher.

When it comes to tweaking colors RED, GREEN and the different HUE settings I have only slightly increased these color settings as I don't want to have pinkish-redish skin tones on each and every character seen onscreen.

It's too bad Lumagen didn't make a good instructions manual explaining how much to toggle between each color settings to get the best out of Lumagen.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2021, 14:56 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Sorry I don't own any scaler and hope others can help.
I just know that if you change colors etc you need the discs, it helped me incredibly.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2021, 05:57 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Going to echo rein-o here, just get one of these discs. If you use skin tones as your measuring stick, you'll always be playing catch-up with different movies you watch because transfers vary (to say nothing of actors' skin tones). Video Essentials comes with lots of important test patterns and a detailed manual. I won't pretend it's easy (I thought it was a bit of a headache, at least), but it'll get you where you want to be, which I can't say the same for when it comes to messing with your scalar's color settings without a calibration disc.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2021, 13:35 
Serious fan
Serious fan

rcarlson wrote:
Going to echo rein-o here, just get one of these discs. If you use skin tones as your measuring stick, you'll always be playing catch-up with different movies you watch because transfers vary (to say nothing of actors' skin tones). Video Essentials comes with lots of important test patterns and a detailed manual. I won't pretend it's easy (I thought it was a bit of a headache, at least), but it'll get you where you want to be, which I can't say the same for when it comes to messing with your scalar's color settings without a calibration disc.

Same thing annoys me when explosions occurs onscreen.
Color of the explosions doesn't appear natural yellow, they have more of a red color tone same as with skin tones on actors.

There's lots to tweak for best picture quality

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2021, 17:55 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

And keep tweaking for each film that may not have a standard.
One film may have the correct colors but another will be faded or too saturated.

Its a rabbit hole for sure, that's why those calibration discs are to get you in a good point for all variants of film quality that is on
home format discs etc.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2021, 12:57 
Serious fan
Serious fan

If I tweak the scaler with this essential video disc do I have to do the same thing with TV color settings?
I might get a wonky picture watching broadcast TV because I have tweaked my TV with the essential disc for proper color settings for laserdisc.

If I tweak color settings on my TV for perfect picture watching broadcast TV channels, this will also give me the same color settings on A/V channel, TV can't have different color settings for different purpose.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2021, 14:38 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Don't touch your TV settings when calibrating for laserdisc if you have a scaler and you use the same TV settings for other sources; just change your scaler's settings. The results are always a function of your player's, scaler's, and TV's settings, but there are multiple solutions to the puzzle. You can get good results without impacting other sources by adjusting only the scaler to fit the other two.

Think of it this way: the numbers in your scaler's menu don't have to be the same (indeed shouldn't be the same) as other people's: they just have to be right for your player and your TV. That's why calibration exists.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2021, 18:15 
Serious fan
Serious fan

rcarlson wrote:
Don't touch your TV settings when calibrating for laserdisc if you have a scaler and you use the same TV settings for other sources; just change your scaler's settings. The results are always a function of your player's, scaler's, and TV's settings, but there are multiple solutions to the puzzle. You can get good results without impacting other sources by adjusting only the scaler to fit the other two.

Think of it this way: the numbers in your scaler's menu don't have to be the same (indeed shouldn't be the same) as other people's: they just have to be right for your player and your TV. That's why calibration exists.

OK, got it :!:

Thanks for clarifying. :thumbup:

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]