It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:58

Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lumagen Radiance 2144 - Always listen to Substance
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2016, 23:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
Hi Substance,
(had to temporarily loan some spending money from my partner - so lucky we very much respect each others collecting habits!!)
Thank you.

Wow, the AUD$ sucks against USD right now too. That's a lot of $AUD.. but hey, you can always be like most Australians who buy expensive stuff, just take it out of the low interest offset against the current astronomical value of your home instead of saving for it.

I'll tell ya, if house prices collapse like they did in Japan, US and Ireland we are more F'd than they were, EVERYTHING is based on real estate here, there's almost nothing else providing growth anymore..

I'm focusing on LDs from Japan right now because the yen is also so weak..I don't own property (missed the boat). I rent, save and pay cash for everything I have. Sometimes I feel like I'm so far behind it isn't funny..but if the property market fails bigtime (some say it never will, nobody knows) I'll probably feel pretty good. As long as I keep my job if/when that happens..you see, EVERYTHINGS going to get f'd up..

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2016, 06:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Thanks for your comments Substance (& Nissling).

I've already been reading through the manual for the 2144 a bit and always like to try to figure operational things as much as possible myself as it's the best way to learn.

However if I can't figure some of that out, or particularly for any advice on preferred settings etc, and if I have any more questions on the calibration side of things thank you in advance for the offer of assistance and I'll be in touch!

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2016, 13:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Would also like to notice that calibration isn't the same thing as profiling. Anyone with experience of ICC profiles knows what I'm talking about. Of course a good profile along with a decent screen may turn out rather okayish but you should always calibrate the two point grey scale in order to make the white balance as good as you can. However a monitor with untouched settings will turn out pretty horrible if you run AutoCAL since you'll compensate an error with another error. To make my point clear the results will be less than the whole. I'm not a fan of that solution and prefer to get my monitor calibrated first and then get a good source instead of using the source as an arbitrary reference.

Today most units do output a rather decent image, in fact there's a much bigger risk that the issues you see due to the source is in fact software related (incorrect black levels, color spaces, resolution etc), so getting your monitor calibrated will result in an improved image regardless of usage. Slight compensates with profiling may give you an extra boost in image quality but don't let the graphs fool you. Use your eyes to make sure that every value is distinguishably and aren't shifting in tone. If they do you should certainly look for the issue. If not, enjoy! :)

If you're a Mac user I'm not sure how friendly CalMAN is. I know they mainly developed software for Windows (which I'm using) for quite some time.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2016, 15:05 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

No you can't get calman on a mac but you can get the client 3 sw for auto cal for a mac display.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2016, 23:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yes and I'm using that for my PCs. Great stuff. :)

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2017, 22:58 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

forper wrote:
Coolness, coolness but a 2144 would be useless to anyone with a CRT display, only does HDMI out?

Actually for CRT projectors its a super nice scaler, as it can be used for frame tripling of 24hz sources, and do porch timings.. Im thinking about getting a 2144 myself, to replace my Crystalio and Radiance XS+, as the older Radiance models had terrible analog section... So im wondering if its better than my Crystalio II/ Lumagen XS+ combination for laserdisc, or at least on level.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2017, 23:47 
stridsvognen wrote:
forper wrote:
Coolness, coolness but a 2144 would be useless to anyone with a CRT display, only does HDMI out?

Actually for CRT projectors its a super nice scaler, as it can be used for frame tripling of 24hz sources, and do porch timings.. Im thinking about getting a 2144 myself, to replace my Crystalio and Radiance XS+, as the older Radiance models had terrible analog section... So im wondering if its better than my Crystalio II/ Lumagen XS+ combination for laserdisc, or at least on level.

do you have a lumagen for sale?

what's the condition of it?

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2017, 00:04 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

joey-buttafuoco wrote:

I'd probably sell my Crystalio II if I'd get a decent offer for it.
Just thought I'd mention it.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2017, 00:07 
lons_vex wrote:
joey-buttafuoco wrote:

I'd probably sell my Crystalio II if I'd get a decent offer for it.
Just thought I'd mention it.

thanks for the offer buddy

i'm looking for a lumagen coz their scalers have more S-video inputs

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2017, 23:44 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

joey-buttafuoco wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:
forper wrote:

I have a Lumagen HDQ i dont use, im using my Lumagen radiance XS to frame tripple and set porch timings for my CRT projector.

The HDQ do a better job as a comb filter than the radiance XD/ XE/ XS series, so for analog input ill surgest the lumagen HDQ or 2144.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 07:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

So did Substance's purchase work out? Is he mad-happy with the results?

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 09:30 
stridsvognen wrote:
The HDQ do a better job as a comb filter than the radiance XD/ XE/ XS series, so for analog input ill surgest the lumagen HDQ or 2144.

do you salg the Lumagen XS?

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 11:33 
Site Admin
Site Admin

substance wrote:
It is expensive but there are a dozen X9 sales a month. 2144 is a much better value as you can use it with other video up to 2K with lossless audio.

All right, I'm biting the bullet on this one and will order one Lumagen 2144 based on knowledgeable comments, reviews and recommendations from this forum (googling around on this specific model also brings very positive reviews).

I can't imagine another company sitting down to redesign a new generation of SD analog => 4K digital products with good performance and picture quality... as the analog world is fading away.
HDMI is pretty much the USB of audio/video now and who still cares about maintaining serial/parallel/DB9-DB25-DBxx connectors compatibility anymore.

Time to invest :-)

Julien

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 17:53 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Maybe someone will make a 3D comb filtr/ analog connector box with no scaling or cms features, to use with a advanced processoor, like the radiance pro.

It might not be compleetly impossible that Lumagen would make a thing like that if there is a demand.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 18:33 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

stridsvognen wrote:
Maybe someone will make a 3D comb filtr/ analog connector box with no scaling or cms features, to use with a advanced processoor, like the radiance pro.

It might not be compleetly impossible that Lumagen would make a thing like that if there is a demand.

I talked to Jim(Ceo of Lumagen) about that. He said he thought about building an analog to hdmi box to replace the 2144 but he said it would still be a major effort and sales aren't there to justify it. He decided to continue 2144 for another year.

Also my username elsewhere is uderman. Chances are you are reading my comments on avsforum and such on 2144.

If i have enough buyers for 2144, I can convince Jim to implement more analog oriented features added to 2144. He said he will look into exposing the 3d comb filters registers to user. Its not on top of the list but they will soon get to that. They are really putting too much effort into their 4xxx pro units as their most sales are there.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 18:49 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

substance wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:

I talked to Jim(Ceo of Lumagen) about that. He said he thought about building an analog to hdmi box to replace the 2144 but he said it would still be a major effort and sales aren't there to justify it. He decided to continue 2144 for another year.

Also my username elsewhere is uderman. Chances are you are reading my comments on avsforum and such on 2144.

If i have enough buyers for 2144, I can convince Jim to implement more analog oriented features added to 2144. He said he will look into exposing the 3d comb filters registers to user. Its not on top of the list but they will soon get to that. They are really putting too much effort into their 4xxx pro units as their most sales are there.

I fully understand its a hard thing to make happen, the 2144 is not cheap, and wont be a device to connect it all, so as it looks there is no way of having all from Laserdisc to UHD blu ray in one procesor.. And ill be honest to say i find it hard to justify buying the 2144 just to replace my XS+ and CrystalioII, and still not having the posibility to play with UHD, so im more likely to buy a Radiance pro and keep the crystalio as it looks.
Im in a bit different situation than most, as im running a Marquee 9500 Ultra CRT projector, and only use the lumagen for timing adjustment scaling and a bit of blue grayscale correction.

There is no way Laserdisc will magically look fantastic on a 110" screen compared to Blu Ray, so i must admit its not very often i fire up the hole Laserdisc setup.. If i have it on DVD or Blu Ray. thats what i play.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2017, 01:45 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I went from Crystalio II VPS-3800 (matter of fact I still have one) to Lumagen Radiance 2144. I am also a beta tester for the Radiance Pro. I have in my setup Radiance Pro 4449 for anything digital and Radiance 2144 for anything analog. I have the 2144's output connected into Hdmi 8 input on 4449. I talked to Jim and he assured me no Pro units with analog inputs in the future. That's why I kept my 2144.

There is a slight benefit in using two separate processors. I use a third processor in between for noise reduction. I still have a couple of the Algolith Mosquito HDMI video noise enhancers. 2144 does analog to digital conversion, 3D comb, tbc and deinterlacing to 480p. Algolith Mosquito HDMI does temporal and spatial filtering. 4449 does calibration, scaling and darbe processing (with the coming firmware it will do sdr to hdr conversion).

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2017, 01:59 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

substance wrote:
I went from Crystalio II VPS-3800 (matter of fact I still have one) to Lumagen Radiance 2144. I am also a beta tester for the Radiance Pro. I have in my setup Radiance Pro 4449 for anything digital and Radiance 2144 for anything analog. I have the 2144's output connected into Hdmi 8 input on 4449. I talked to Jim and he assured me no Pro units with analog inputs in the future. That's why I kept my 2144.

There is a slight benefit in using two separate processors. I use a third processor in between for noise reduction. I still have a couple of the Algolith Mosquito HDMI video noise enhancers. 2144 does analog to digital conversion, 3D comb, tbc and deinterlacing to 480p. Algolith Mosquito HDMI does temporal and spatial filtering. 4449 does calibration, scaling and darbe processing (with the coming firmware it will do sdr to hdr conversion).

And do you have any real performance bump changing from the crystalio to the 2144.? I run 480P 1:1 pixel mapping out of the crystalio into my XS+, who always run in game mode, so the croma resolution is kept as good as it gets. If i remember right the game mode bypass the deinterlacer and enhancement features.

I payed 56£ for my Crystalio II 3800, would you think im best off buying a 2144, or buying a Pro, and keep using the Crystalio for analog stuff.?

I would never ever want to convert anything from SDR to HDR, but if ever possible to do it right i would like HDR to SDR, to work without adding white clipping for projctors, who will never get anywhere near the 200nit that is needet to display a UHD SDR so it looks good, and ond out of black performance maintained.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2017, 10:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

stridsvognen wrote:

I payed 56£ for my Crystalio II 3800, would you think im best off buying a 2144, or buying a Pro, and keep using the Crystalio for analog stuff.?

Now that is what I call bargain of the year.
Some people are lucky finders.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2017, 11:15 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

lons_vex wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:

Now that is what I call bargain of the year.
Some people are lucky finders.

It was a public ebay auction, a few years back..
But if looking around it looks like they can be found for decent amounts these days.
https://www.avforums.com/threads/crysta ... r.2009724/

Also got my Calibre Vantage HD for cheap, wich has the best quality RGBHV output of any scaler i have seen.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/best-h ... t-23486674

Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next