It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:51

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Radiance XS vs DVDO Edge
PostPosted: 20 May 2019, 09:22 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hello,

I have the opportunity to buy a Radiance XS (1U) for less than $500
I already have a DVDO Edge which I think do a good job, will the difference be significative with the Radiance XS ?

Thank you for your help

Post subject: Re: Radiance XS vs DVDO Edge
PostPosted: 20 May 2019, 16:57 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Just from reading the forums here it has been said that the DVDO Edge has the ADV7800 3D comb filer which is also present in the Lumagen 21x4 series and is said to be the best for LD. The Lumagen XS has a 2D comb filter from what I've been told.

Here is a quote from Jim, Lumagen founder:
Quote:
The XD/XE/XS/Mini, and 20XX, all have 2D Comb Filters. The 21X4 models have a 3D Comb filter which is a significant improvement versus the 2D Comb filter.

That said, Lumagen scaling is said to be superior to DVDO, however DVDO also has the best cadence detection according to the forums here.

Based on the opinions here on the forums I recently bought a Lumagen XE-3D from eBay for a similar price. Local pick up. The Composite and S-Video performance was not great IMO. It had the latest FW installed as well. While Jim did respond to my E-mail inquiries he was very short and didn't seem interested in supporting older models from the used market. In fact, he did not even respond at all to my last E-mail about the issues I was having with the XE-3D. He was, however, eager to sell me a replacement remote, power supply or a refurbished XE-3D with 1 year limited warranty for $1000...almost twice what I paid on eBay.

I ended up returning the unit as it was not behaving with my system. Even after turning off any enhancements on the TV, a factory reset of the Lumagen and trying several output settings I had poor de-interlacing, weird motion stuttering, jaggies issues, etc. None of those were issues I was having previously and I'm much happier now without the XE-3D and money in my pocket.

Perhaps your experience will be more positive than mine - I certainly hope so.

Choose....wisely.

Post subject: Re: Radiance XS vs DVDO Edge
PostPosted: 20 May 2019, 22:44 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

sonicboom wrote:
however DVDO also has the best cadence detection.

That is true.
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]