It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 09:07

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: [LD-700] Problems
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2016, 04:47 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Got a Pioneer LD 700 that was built in February 1984. I don't have the remote and it has limited buttons. it does open the drawer, but intermittently it gets stuck and won't open. Also when you press play (if the disc is perfectly aligned) it will spin the disc but it stops after a minute or so. Also when I hooked it up to the tv, there was no signal coming out.

Is this thing even worth my time trying to repair?
I'm pretty handy and managed to get the top (&bottom) off and saw a pretty scary warning label about laser radiation.. Is this thing gunna kill me??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much all!

Post subject: Re: Pioneer LD 700 from 1984
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2016, 16:27 
MadMaxeene,
If still checking in then we could try together as I have similar problem and skills.

Also have the LD-700 as well as 2 CLD-900.
Just started here today to fix all three.
The CLD-900 service manual is thorough and mentions the design similarities to the LD-700 so
I will start with the LD-700 to learn how these devices work.
Then the CLD-900 is more dificult but more features.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2016, 17:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

madmaxeene wrote:
I'm pretty handy and managed to get the top (&bottom) off and saw a pretty scary warning label about laser radiation.. Is this thing gunna kill me??

No. that is nothing more than a very indirect variation of the general warnings on Laser-Optical products,
the more direct/to the point ones warning one not to look directly into the radiating path of a laser emission.

while most LDP lasers are of the IR variety, similar to CDP lasers, and totally invisible to the naked eye,
early top-loader LDPs have Helium-Neon lasers, quite visible.

either type, you'd be well advised not to put either of your eyeballs into the direct lasing path of during Emissions.
that incredibly unlikely event aside, LD Players are as safe to work on as any other CE product,
just be sure to watch yourself around the HOT areas of the Power Supply circuitry...

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2016, 19:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yup, those labels are mostly for Protection From Lawyers (and federal requirements...) - as long as you're careful, and don't look directly into the laser when it's on, it should be OK. If you're regularly working on them and concerned, I'm pretty sure you can get eye protection.

However there isn't much general repair knowledge on the early diode players, and the CLD-900 needs a replacement part kit that's no longer available to be reliable.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]