It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:58

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: [LD-S2] Tray loading belt
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2016, 16:25 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I have an LD-S2 with a slow tray (mostly when its cold). Anyone know which SCQ belt would work to replace the original?

Post subject: Re: LD-S2 tray loading belt  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2016, 17:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Pioneer VEB1110

You can get from Pacparts, I just ordered mine.

Kurtis tells me you access from under the player after removing the servo board, I am still a little concerned with attempting that but I guess I'll have no choice...

Post subject: Re: LD-S2 tray loading belt
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2016, 18:25 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Great! Thanks

Post subject: Re: LD-S2 tray loading belt
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2021, 23:59 
Serious fan
Serious fan

pbiancardi wrote:
Kurtis tells me you access from under the player after removing the servo board, I am still a little concerned with attempting that but I guess I'll have no choice...

I just did mine today by following the service manual that I downloaded here.

The method above did seem daunting and after looking at the SM it appeared that the belt was not on the underside of the player at all and I'm not sure how you could even get to the belt from the underside. So I followed the disassembly procedure in the SM and once I removed the tray it was very easy to access and change. However, getting to that point is quite a few screws.

Unfortunately for me, once I closed it up again to test there was no improvement.

Again, I disassembled and removed the tray.

From there I plugged it in to observe what was happening.

Its hard to explain what I think fixed this issue since I was messing with the pulleys and gears that the belt drives. I also cleaned up all of the old lube with alcohol. Then, accidentally, I hit the close button and the loading motor roared to life and the pulleys and gears were also spinning in an attempt to close the non-existent tray. F***!

Not really knowing what to do since it would not stop if I pressed it again and I was afraid to power it down, I gently pushed in the tray after making sure it was properly aligned! It happily grabbed the tray and took it right in and started to look for a disc. I hit Eject and it came out smooth as butter. Closed it up just as smooth even better than ever! I put in a disc and it closed/opened perfectly. Success! To be fair I was lucky it didn't break any teeth or get jammed.

Attachment:
LDS2_belt.jpg
LDS2_belt.jpg [ 73.41 KiB | Viewed 1549 times ]

What I *think* was the issue was that the pulley in the image had some sticky lube on the underside that I couldn't clean with a regular Q-tip. I used a smaller one like used for make-up and was able to soak it with alcohol before I pressed the close button. Once it started to spin freely with out the tray that lube loosened up at last. I also think that its possible the toothed gear was out of sync/alignment somehow. It has a dot on it to indicate something I assume.

So, for reference, follow the service manual and be very careful! There are several fragile boards, wires, connectors etc. Keep track of your screws! I have one left over...it'll find its home when I do the AC-3 mod.

Anyway, it works so good now I can't even explain how happy I am. Baby's been sitting in the corner for a few months :( and now she's been resurrected on Easter ;)

Post subject: Re: [LD-S2] Tray loading belt
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2021, 00:13 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Yeah when I bought my LD-S2 it would not eject. I arrived at the sellers house and to my horror he had a power drill out trying to disassemble the unit...

My belt was good enough- the grease was causing the issue. I really should have replaced it while I was in there due to how difficult it is to get to it but I didn't have one. Tray ejects really fast.

Nice job :thumbup:. Definitely nerve-racking!

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2021, 07:15 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The S2 has two different belts, one you get to from bottom which raises the tray up and down then the other you get to from the top that moves the tray in and out.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2021, 17:53 
Serious fan
Serious fan

krbahr wrote:
The S2 has two different belts, one you get to from bottom which raises the tray up and down then the other you get to from the top that moves the tray in and out.

Exactly, thanks for the clarification Kurtis. There is a red/orange toothed belt that you can access from underneath the servo board as described but it isn't the loading belt (VEB1110). I'd hate to have to find a replacement for that since it may be hard to find...though I should probably get a few to have when I need.

cplusplus wrote:
My belt was good enough- the grease was causing the issue. I really should have replaced it while I was in there due to how difficult it is to get to it but I didn't have one. Tray ejects really fast.

Nice job :thumbup:. Definitely nerve-racking!

Same here man, for some reason mine wouldn't eject either. Upon disassembly it looked like it had been re-assembled incorrectly and the tray was not able to move at all (blocked by the clamper). In the end it was a good score for me at $200 with remote.

Glad to hear yours was due to old grease/lube as well and easy to fix. Mine was slow then just refused to eject. The tray is great now but squeaks a bit. I think I can get this thing disassembled in a heartbeat now but nothing less than 20 or so screws to get to the belt!

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2021, 23:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

sonicboom wrote:
In the end it was a good score for me at $200 with remote.

:shock:

sonicboom wrote:
The tray is great now but squeaks a bit.

I did a pretty lousy re-greasing job on mine while I was in there. I'll probably do a proper job when (or if) I get back in there to add AC-3 RF.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]