It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 06:56

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: [LD-S9] Spare parts?
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 13:15 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hey everyone! I was wondering if I can still obtain certain spare parts for the LD-S9 like belts etc. anywhere? My unit is still working but I would like to stock a few spare parts just in case...
I am also searching for a good lubricant in case I need to regrease some of the moving parts and/or the slider / pickup assembly. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: LD-S9 spare parts?
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 14:13 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Can't help on the parts, but any lithium grease will do. I picked up a can from Ace and it works wonders.

That's a nice record collection you have. :/

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 14:19 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

knatterbuechse wrote:
Hey everyone! I was wondering if I can still obtain certain spare parts for the LD-S9 like belts etc. anywhere? My unit is still working but I would like to stock a few spare parts just in case...
I am also searching for a good lubricant in case I need to regrease some of the moving parts and/or the slider / pickup assembly. Any suggestions?

Belts are readily available on eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PRB-SCQ-3-6-Square-Cut-Belt-for-VCR-Cassette-CD-Drive-or-DVD-Drive-SCQ3-6/254015352933

The cushion is still available from PacParts - http://www.pacparts.com/part.cfm?part_no=DEB1169&mfg=Pioneer

Most of the other mechanical parts including laser pickup can be taken cheaply from a CLD-503 so might want to grab one of those.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 16:51 
Honest fan
Honest fan

GREAT, thank you both for the quick reply and information! Had no idea that the 503 can be used as a "donor" regarding pickup and mechanical parts. Does the spindle motor fit as well? I remember another topic where Kurtis mentioned that the service manual for the CLD-99 could be used for the LD-S9 too, so maybe the spindle motor from this unit is also compatible?

Last edited by knatterbuechse on 12 Dec 2018, 13:42, edited 2 times in total. _________________
The all-knowing, all-seeing trash heap!

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 19:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

knatterbuechse wrote:
GREAT, thank you both for the quick reply and information! Had no idea that the 503 can be used as a "donor" rgearding pickup and mechanical parts. Does the spindle motor fit as well? I remember another topic where Kurtis mentioned that the service manual for the CLD-99 could be used for the LD-S9 as well, so maybe the spindle motor from this unit is also compatible?

I am not honestly sure but that is a good question. The 'top' of the S9 spindle is bigger but I believe the base is the same, not sure if there is different programming or what?

I know the entire sled is basically the same except the S9 has a hard stop which uses the limit switch on the pickup while the 503 and its variants use two limit switches on the sled (CD and LD) besides that most of the moving parts are interchangeable.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 21:02 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I’m pretty sure the spindle motor and magnetic clamper are not the same for the S9 and D503 since the former is an LD only player vs the latter being a CD/LD combo.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 23:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

ldfan wrote:
I’m pretty sure the spindle motor and magnetic clamper are not the same for the S9 and D503 since the former is an LD only player vs the latter being a CD/LD combo.

I've literally had both sleds in my hand in the past week, what I've described is 100% accurate. The spindle may be different but the rest of the sled mechanically is identical with the exception of the limit switches which allowed the 503 pickup to go to CD position. In fact I used a lot of 503 parts to get an S9 going....

Kind of shocking that a lowly 503 is mechanically EXACTLY the same as a 704, 79, 99, and S9 huh? We even use 503 trays in X9s lol.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 23:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The 503/703/79/99 all have the same mechanical assembly and power supply as the S9. Just remove the disc clamp hub from the spindle motor and put your S9 disc hub on the motor. The S9 also only uses the LD position microswitch so the CD microswitch is not used. The only difference between the 99 and S9 is the electronics in the Adaptive filter which is proprietary anyway and the programming to use the different adaptive boards.

Word of warning. I ordered a bunch of the motor grip pads from PacParts and Pioneer must have old stock left over as the majority I received were dried out and did not grip. Plasti-Dip is the best choice.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2018, 00:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

krbahr wrote:
The 503/703/79/99 all have the same mechanical assembly and power supply as the S9. Just remove the disc clamp hub from the spindle motor and put your S9 disc hub on the motor. The S9 also only uses the LD position microswitch so the CD microswitch is not used. The only difference between the 99 and S9 is the electronics in the Adaptive filter which is proprietary anyway and the programming to use the different adaptive boards.

Word of warning. I ordered a bunch of the motor grip pads from PacParts and Pioneer must have old stock left over as the majority I received were dried out and did not grip. Plasti-Dip is the best choice.

I've done several with plasti dip but on one S9 I must have laid it on too thick because I had to tweak spindle height, luckily they are set with those stupid allen screws.

Post subject: Re: [LD-S9] Spare parts?
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2018, 14:56 
Honest fan
Honest fan

What can I say, once again thanks for all the useful information - MUCH appreciated!

Thing is that I recently had a small problem with my S9. All of a sudden it refused to play a disc but gave me a "P5" error instead, and judging from the noises emanating it seemed like the disc was slipping during startup. I opened it to take a closer look and both rubber pad and lens looked pretty dirty (haven't used it very often during the last couple of months). I cleaned 'em both and also checked the mechanics to make sure everything was okay. Right now it works just fine, but I felt like doing a little research regarding spare parts wouldn't hurt so I would be prepared in case something serious happens. Like the spindle motor or pickup giving up etc. etc.

And I didn't know about Plasti-Dip so I had to run a little search but found a german retailer right away. Do you prefer using the spray or the liquid? Don't know what seems to be the best choice here...

Last but not least thanks Kurtis for mentioning the problem regarding the grip pads from PacParts as I was about to order some of those.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2018, 01:41 
Serious fan
Serious fan

knatterbuechse wrote:
And I didn't know about Plasti-Dip so I had to run a little search but found a german retailer right away. Do you prefer using the spray or the liquid? Don't know what seems to be the best choice here...

I only found the spray so I sprayed a little into a dish, removed the old pad, and applied the Plasti-Dip with a fine brush.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2019, 16:42 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Ah, thanks for the advice!

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2019, 06:38 
Honest fan
Honest fan

To OP:

I have a LD-S9 in storage for a while since its falling down during transition. Let me know if you still need any parts out of the box.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2021, 03:06 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

FYI: I make and sell replacement grip rings. Look up DEB1169 on eBay.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]