It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 12:27

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: [LD-V8000] Alignment
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2020, 22:23 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Hello all, I’m looking to improve the tracking of my LD- V8000 by performing an alignment myself.

From the service manual, it would seem that I don’t need the service remote in order to get it into service mode. So what I really need is the 8 inch reference disc and an oscilloscope.

Donberg.ie seems to have the disc for about $60; a little steep but it seems rare otherwise. Has anyone gotten this from them?

I know jack about oscilloscopes. What’s the minimum that I would need for this project? Probably going on eBay for this.

Finally, I’m going to be tracking some old DiscoVision titles. Would I approach the alignment any differently for these?

Post subject: Re: Alignment of LD-V8000
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2020, 23:56 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I'll help as much as I can.
Players must be aligned to specs, they are a standard.
This will NOT mean you can play all discs if you have a correct aligned player, some older or flawed discs are just the way they were when new
and you can't do much.

If the test disc costs 60 I'm guessing a scope will be around 80-100 with shipping, so you are talking about 140-160 minimum.
Also you must make sure said test disc will work with said player, sort of remember Grasshopper saying that some discs will work with some players?
Or I may be wrong with that.

Just remember that he has 3 or 4 different test discs.
Good luck.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2020, 01:26 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I would advise against this. Purchase a player that is known for working well with Discovision titles to see if that helps. It will be cheaper than buying an oscilloscope and test disc and you won't have to worry about damaging your LD-V8000. If you do not have issues tracking newer discs then tracking is not in need of adjustment.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2020, 23:33 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Thank you both.

My LD-V8000 isn’t bad, it just skips around at certain points on discs with problems. Cleaning with Novus and buffing the discs improves this, I’d just like to get a similar marginal improvement from the hardware side, if possible.

DiscoVision titles benefit from the red lasers of that era, but those players have a much lower picture quality. The MUSE players brought back the red laser, but are still quite expensive.

My LD-V8000 is for my archiving projects. I also have a CLD-79 in the living room for direct viewing and a working LD-V4400 in storage (the V8’s predecessor) and a mostly not-working Japanese CLD-919 (akin to a CLD-95) also in storage.

I continue to lust for a CLD-97 and an LD-S2, so those may join the party at some point.

My point is, I have a number of players that could benefit from me getting on top of the maintenance angle, short of anything with a soldering iron.

Also, the V8 is a quality floor that I don’t want to go below for my archiving, so patching my digital versions with caps from, say a Sylvania VP7200GY would be taking a hit.

No?

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2020, 21:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The red laser found in the HLD players is different from the HeNE lasers found in pre-infrared models. The LD-660 I have looks a lot better than I thought it would. Hardware aside, early discs in general will not look as good as later discs even on a LD-S2.

I'd love to have a LD-V4400 or even a LD-V8000 if I could find one locally for a reasonable price. With your LD-V4400 at least you should be able to follow an amazing alignment guide (thank you Simon) at https://www.domesday86.com/?page_id=2896

But again, in regards to maintenance. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Wait until you start experiencing crosstalk, track jumping, audio issues on discs you know are good.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2020, 22:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

If you're just getting started with alignment, get one of the late players such as a later production V2800 (the early ones have the really bad m-holder and are *not* shippable IMO) or a 406 or somesuch. When well aligned they track most Discovision pretty well.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2020, 23:59 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Thanks for the link cplusplus. Looks pretty intimidating.

If you are in Northern California I’d be glad to sell the 4400. It’s a champion tracker, it reads better than my v8 but it has a softer picture. The BNC video output doesn’t work, but the RCA is just fine.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]