It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:24

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: [Magnavox VC-8010] Looking for troubleshooting help
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2019, 00:08 
Second post
Second post

This is probably a long shot, but here goes.. I bought a Magnavox VC-8010 (Pioneer LD-1100 clone) at a thrift store a few weeks ago and it worked perfectly until yesterday. It was working fine until it got to the end of side one. I flipped the disc and she wouldn't read it. I tried several discs and she wouldn't read any of them. I noticed that when I push play with no disc, the laser does not activate. It tries to focus, but does not activate. Does anyone have any experience with this machine, or maybe have seen this problem before? Are these helium-neon lasers prone to just dying?
I know this machine probably isn't worth repairing. My house is full of vintage tech that I collect and repair.
Thanks!
Tim

Post subject: Re: Good Evening! Looking for troubleshooting help.
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2019, 01:00 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

You sure the disc isn't slipping and the laser can't read the TOC?

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2019, 02:03 
Second post
Second post

That's a good question. If I hold down the lid switch and press play, the lens moves up and down a few times, but there is no laser. I'm assuming I should be able to see the laser beam on the lens. I have noticed that when I put a disc in the machine sounds like its spinning faster than it did when it was working.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2019, 02:17 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

You can see it yeah, but it’s not super bright. You almost have to be looking right into the lens which of course you’re not supposed to do. :)

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Post subject: Re: [Magnavox VC-8010] Looking for troubleshooting help
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2019, 14:11 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

The players are made to not work without a disc and when open.
So you have to try it with a disc, these are not LP players which you can get to run without a record.

You need the LD and the door closed.

Post subject: Re: [Magnavox VC-8010] Looking for troubleshooting help
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2019, 18:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

If you bypass the latch and beam interlock on the lid, when pushing play you will definitely see a beam spot on the lid (assuming it's partially closed) and you can see the red glow on the lens itself.

Alternatively, you can load a disc, stand the player on the end (the back - see the little legs poking from the back?), take off the bottom and then try playing the disc. If the laser is firing, you will see red reflecting off the disc.

If none of that shows a beam, the laser is gone.

However, you mentioned the disc spins up, which makes me think you are actually getting a beam because the motor won't start until the lens achieves focus. If that is the case, focus will start the disc, but as soon as the player can read the track, it will lock on and the "motor start" current is removed the disc comes up to speed under "player control". If the track can't be read, the "motor start" current is held until a timeout expires and then dropped off, leaving the disc to spin down on its own. If this is the case, it could be a number of things; tracking alignment, tangential alignment, focus alignment (all have "gain" and "bias" adjustments, plus focus has a 3rd setting, "balance"), slider motor failure, seized mirrors (tracking and tangential), bad focus motor....

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]