It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:47

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: LD-1100 Laser is VERY finicky please help!!
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2020, 14:58 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hi all, I recently got my hands on an LD-1100 second generation LD player. It's had some problems that I've managed to resolve, but I'm thinking I'll need some help for this last one: the laser is very, VERY temperamental. I've checked the laser with a white card, and it seems to be in good alignment. It has never successfully played a CLV disc, but in the event I can coax it into playing a CAV disc this is what I get:

The sound is coming from the last two mirrors and the lens constantly moving back and forth. I've checked to make sure the mirrors and lens are all clean, so I'm left thinking one of the following could be the reason for the problem:

1. the capacitors and other components have aged, thereby pushing some of the pot adjustments out of spec.
2. as there are missing screws, one of the previous owners tried to fix the machine by himself and adjusted the pots improperly
3. an IC has gone bad

Or of course, something else is wrong that I have no idea about because I'm not an expert! Please, if you can help or have any advice I'd be very grateful to hear it!

Last edited by galgo on 01 Jul 2020, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: LD-1100 Laser is VERY finicky
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2020, 16:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

This is typically going to be the tracking gain or tracking bias. But the first issue is using a DiscoVision disc. With DiscoVision, the disc is always suspect until you know the player is working correctly with a newer CAV disc, or you know the disc plays well in another player.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2020, 17:10 
Third post and above
Third post and above

blam1 wrote:
This is typically going to be the tracking gain or tracking bias. But the first issue is using a DiscoVision disc. With DiscoVision, the disc is always suspect until you know the player is working correctly with a newer CAV disc, or you know the disc plays well in another player.

How do you suggest I proceed? Slightly tweak one of the pots to see what difference it makes? I also had my eye on TANG GAIN since apparently it's one of the first pots to suspect if the color is affected.

Regarding the discs, the player performs about equally with DiscoVision CAV discs and later Pioneer manufactured CAV discs.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2020, 19:21 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Interesting development, I've noticed that changing the disc's rotation speed seems to stop to constant screen blanking, leaving me with a stable black and white image with no audio. Disc is unresponsive to trick play controls, and my TV doesn't recognize it as an NTSC image.

The black and white picture makes sense since I'm changing the disc's RPM, as the chrominance portion of an NTSC signal is most sensitive to disc speed, what doesn't make sense to me is why the lens seems to act up only when the disc is spinning at the correct speed to properly recover the color and audio.

When it IS at the proper speed and starts blanking like in my earlier video, there's a flash of color RIGHT before it does so, and sometimes even audio. By the way, I've learned the little click sound that always seemed to accompany the screen going blank is actually from the lens resetting back to its default position, then coming back up.

I haven't gotten any results from tweaking pots related to focus and tracking though. :(

Post subject: Re: LD-1100 Laser is VERY finicky please help!!
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2021, 22:02 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Any advice? I tried it again today for the first time in a little under a year, and of course, same problem. I'm not an expert but I think I suspect a tracking issue.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2021, 22:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I think you are just going to have to step through all the adjustments in the SM. If all those look good, you'll have to look at the boards.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2021, 00:29 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Try with another disc, make sure as blam says your disc plays fine before you start tweaking your player and cause more trouble.

C++ Knows also but I would try another disc first that you know plays fine then start tweaking.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2021, 01:17 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Unfortunately the same thing happens with every disc.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]