It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:59

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: [LD-S2] Slow tray even after belt replacement
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2020, 13:35 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I picked up an LD-S2. After powering on, the first tray eject happens slowly and would sometimes not extend fully and then retract by itself. Every eject cycle after that is just fine and quick (the power has to be off for a while in order for the problem to start again). Once the tray is extended out fully on that first "cold" eject, I can hear a small motor spinning inside for a couple seconds. That may be normal and unrelated, I don't know.

Reading another post suggested replacing the belt to remedy a slow tray. I picked up a couple new belts (VEB1110) and replaced it. Thankfully, I had no extra screws left over when I was done, haha. :)

However, the problem persists, but I think it is slightly better. Since the replacement, the tray is still sluggish on the first eject, but it has made it out all the way every time on that first eject.

Any ideas on what I should check, if anything?

Post subject: Re: [LD-S2] Slow tray even after belt replacement
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2020, 16:19 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

My LD-S2 would not eject at all when I bought it. The original grease had become quite sticky. I cleaned and replaced the old grease with fresh white lithium grease and have not had a problem since.

See the spots marked 2 in the attached image. I would just replace what you can easily get to in order to avoid any issues that might arise from further disassembly.

Attachments:
LD-S2_Loading_Grease.jpg
LD-S2_Loading_Grease.jpg [ 119.09 KiB | Viewed 1885 times ]

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2020, 16:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Seconded, pretty sure that old grease has got to be your issue here...

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2020, 19:02 
Serious fan
Serious fan

cplusplus wrote:
My LD-S2 would not eject at all when I bought it. The original grease had become quite sticky. I cleaned and replaced the old grease with fresh white lithium grease and have not had a problem since.

See the spots marked 2 in the attached image. I would just replace what you can easily get to in order to avoid any issues that might arise from further disassembly.

Thank you! Mine does the same. I'm in no rush to open this beast up but maybe if I get the courage to do the AC3 mod I can do both at the same time.

I love how we all share knowledge and help each other just to keep these things alive!

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2020, 19:35 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Thank you, all. I will redo the grease in a few days and report back. Sounds like that is the culprit for sure.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2020, 21:59 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

sonicboom wrote:
Thank you! Mine does the same. I'm in no rush to open this beast up but maybe if I get the courage to do the AC3 mod I can do both at the same time.

Yeah in addition to the LD-S2, I think every CLD-X01/CLD-X02/CLD-3070/CLD-91/CLD-92 I've seen has this dark orange sticky grease. Disassembling the LD-S2 to the point of where you can get to this grease is tedious, but straight forward. Service manual is available here. After resolving this problem, it seems like the LD-S2 tray comes out much faster than my other players.

sonicboom wrote:
I love how we all share knowledge and help each other just to keep these things alive!

Absolutely. I've pretty much learned everything from the community here. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2020, 01:17 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I've never taken a player apart like this but just make sure you take pictures to get it back together again.

And take your time so you don't slip or strip your gears.
Good luck.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2020, 19:39 
Serious fan
Serious fan

cplusplus wrote:
sonicboom wrote:

Absolutely. I've pretty much learned everything from the community here. :thumbup:

Same. Loving LD has somewhat forced me to become more adept at mechanical/electronic repair. I've actually gained a deeper appreciation for this technology from diving in deep to how they work and how to keep them working. This forum has been a huge resource. Reminds me I need to make another donation soon...

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2020, 05:07 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Great success! :thumbup: Thank you for all of the tips and encouragement to take this on.

I had previously disassembled this player to the point where I could reach the tray belt. Tackling the extra step of removing the guides to more easily get to the sliding plastic plates was daunting, but I got it done. Very well worth the effort, even with the trouble I encountered getting everything put back together "just exactly perfect" on the tray lifting mechanism. I had tried greasing the grooves through the vertical slots, but that did not help. You really need to get to those sliding plastic plates to remove that old, thickened grease and ensure nice, uniform coverage of the new grease. I encountered the old grease mentioned above, but thankfully not gobs of it. I am proud to say the tray slides out and in elegantly now.

One thing I did find which was not been mentioned yet is one of the plastic spindles near the tray belt gears did not turn freely. In fact, it was pretty well stuck. The tray slides against this spindle when it goes in and out so that is obviously an issue. I circled this particular one in the picture below. I worked the spindle manually for a while and wiped up any gunk that would seep out as I did that. It was better, but not enough to where I thought it would not cause issues later. I put a drop of 3 in 1 oil on it overnight hoping it would work its way into it between the brass post and inner wall of the plastic. Working it some more after that helped get it to where I was satisfied it would not cause any problems. It still has a slight bit of friction, but much better than before.

Here is the location of that stuck spindle. If you're thinking of doing this job yourself or even you are in there far enough to get to that belt, then make a point to check the spindles mounted on this plate just in case. You're already there so it can't hurt.
Attachment:
Screenshot from 2020-09-10 23-44-00.jpg
Screenshot from 2020-09-10 23-44-00.jpg [ 84.64 KiB | Viewed 1819 times ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]