It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:56

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: [LD-V8000] Bad loading mechanism
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2021, 22:51 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Well, my trusty V8 has been sidelined with a faulting loading mechanism, right in the middle of a project. Grr..

I opened it up and got down to where I could pull the tray out (still attached) and could see that the little white plastic gear on the right side that meshes with the teeth on the underside of the tray was way out of position, and looking fishy. I scooted it over into contact with the teeth and it worked! I sealed it up and it's back to not working (even worse now, though it opens), though I was able to rescue my collectible rare disc.

I'm wondering if I should try to get this repaired or just replace it. I'm very partial to the PQ and the stability of the pro unit, as outdated as they are, and would only go up if I'm changing models. From my reading, "up" would mean a CLD-97, or one of the HLD units. I have a CLD-79 (basically a 704) that I consider inferior.

Of course, if there's a way for me to fix it myself, that would be ideal, but this morning's adventure was pretty draining and not much to show for it.

Any thoughts? I'm in Northern California between Sacramento and the Bay Area.

Post subject: Re: LD-V8000 bad loading mechanism
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2021, 00:45 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If it is just plastic gear issues, you can reference the service manual here and try some glueing.

CLD-3080, CLD-95, CLD-97 are my go-to Both Side Play units. Single side: CLD-3030, LD-S1, LD-S2.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2021, 02:21 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Thanks for answering. Looking at your go to list, my understanding is that most people find the LD-S1 too soft, while the S2/X1 still has adherents. Id love an S2, but they don’t come around too often. I’ve heard the PQ is comparable to a V8. Its stability could lend to stacking caps.

I know that the 3030 has fans, but is it really at the same level of PQ?

My 79 is in the living room for direct viewing; I’m only looking at single sided to replace the V8 for my capture projects, so PQ is tops and usability features are langniappe.

I’m moving next week, unfortunately, and probably shouldn’t have spent the morning taking apart the V8. It’ll be awhile before I can make another attempt.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2021, 16:58 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

My list is just strictly personal preference. It is what I have found I liked the most based on features + picture quality.

I need to service a LD-V8000 in the next few weeks. I will post back on how it compares to my CLD-3030 and LD-S2.

Substance's post here is the most objectively accurate comparison I have seen: https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?p=73623#p73623

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2021, 21:45 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Cool thread.

There’s a guy locally who will look at my V8, but it’s $90 up front with no promises and pessimism on parts.

If it ends up being a couple hundred then that’s probably the best outcome; though it’s what I paid originally and then another 300 in ‘18 getting the laser replaced.

There’s a japanese LD-V800 on eBay for $500 now, more of a side grade with power conversion needed (already have), with the nice addition of BNC composite out. If it’s as cherry as it looks, not a bad deal, if not particularly good.

Local Craigslist has nothing of interest. Neither does yahoo japan (through buyee.com).

Are there any other sources that I should check?

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2021, 21:57 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rojan wrote:
Are there any other sources that I should check?

I would check on local electronics stores that sell used audio/video equipment or even a Goodwill. I've been able to pick up at least one gem doing just that (a Mitsubishi, M-V7055 for the ridiculous price of $40).

As for your gears possibly being damaged on your player, you might want to consider this idea....

https://www.instructables.com/Broken-Gear-Repair/

I have a Sony MDP-650 with a really chewed up gear and I'm going to try to try this idea since there is little hope of getting this part. I decided that I'm going to use this type of epoxy.....

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Magic-16002 ... B000FW7UOM

..... as it appears to combine the two mentioned in the above post.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2021, 02:38 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I pretty much agree with Substance's ranking of players. What I can say about the V8000 is that it has more ringing or ghosting of an image than these players and once you see it you'll know what I'm talking about. The V8000 is a good picture but was designed for presentations and video games with an electromagnetic movement for the laser, it can jump the extremes of the disc in under 0.5 seconds and if it is a CAV disc will be also be playing in under 0.5 seconds. For home theater the X0 and S2 cannot be beat for picture quality for a single sided player, you have to see them to understand. Like substance says the 95/97 are the best low noise for a dual sided player. The V8000 is a good machine but I don't remember it beating any of the machines in substances list.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2021, 07:18 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Yes, I’ve never had access to the TOTL players to personally compare.

I admit that having worked in facilities where genlock was a requirement, it’s hard to let go, despite its increasing irrelevance, at least to my applications. I have my LD-V8000 set for the narrow sync range option (which kills that speed advantage) but the fidelity there is probably below most people’s perceptions. Particularly with film-originated material, a frame is a wide target.

The LD-V4400 was a revelation to me after my old DVL-909, the geometry and color balance felt “pro.” The V8 has that plus an obvious bump in resolving power (as distinct from sharpness). The stability was rock solid, and I don’t want to give up those characteristics.

I’m actually in position to get a better unit, but $3,000 for an X0 is hard to justify.

I actually have the japanese version of the 95 (CLD-919), but it arrived in semi-functional condition. Should I be fixing that instead of the V8?

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2021, 23:25 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rojan wrote:
I actually have the japanese version of the 95 (CLD-919), but it arrived in semi-functional condition. Should I be fixing that instead of the V8?

Fix both! You can make a post on the CLD-919 and maybe some of us can help.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2021, 04:41 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Quote:
Fix both! You can make a post on the CLD-919 and maybe some of us can help.

LOL! Well, I’m more of an A/V enthusiast with just enough mechanical knowledge to fix simple and obvious things. I was afraid of disassembling the V8 too far and being unable to reassemble it, and unfortunately it’s in worse shape now, partly due to working around the stuff that was still in my way.

The 919 would load, and sometimes recognize and play a disk, but with an intermittent picture that rolled vertically. I got it in 2018 and need to check its condition.

So my question was really about how LD would look on the CLD- 919 (aka CLD-95) as opposed to the V8. It probably won’t be me doing the work.

Post subject: Re: [LD-V8000] Bad loading mechanism
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2021, 02:58 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You need to understand that you are asking a question that differs depending on a persons preferences. The 8000 was designed for presentations and games for computer control and syncing with other devices in the presentation where he CLD-95 was designed for home use.

Only you can say which looks best to you. I personally would use the CLD-95.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2021, 20:43 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

That’s where I think I’m heading. The old LD article at Moe’s Realm claims that the composite output for the 95 is on par with the 97’s. Since I wouldn’t be using S-video in any regard with these, my fixed CLD-919 should take care of me on the PQ front.

The side flipping and other home features tend to put me off in shopping for my project player (my 79 is in the living room), but if the picture quality beats the V8, then whatever. I should be happy, assuming the 919 is fixable.

If an LD-S2 shows up for sale, OTOH, I may succumb.

Last edited by rojan on 01 Apr 2021, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2021, 21:09 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I have a CLD-95. It is excellent. Much more low-noise, analog looking picture than your CLD-79.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2022, 02:49 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Just an update: my CLD-919 is working! It just needed a good cleaning.

It looks fantastic. A definite upgrade over the V8.

I'm watching through my DS9 discs now, it's better than the DVDs. In the market for the Japan-only episodes. :D

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]