It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:28

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: [LD-S2] Unable to play discs but pickup & motor seem to work
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2021, 17:44 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Here's the story: I found a cheap LD-S2 several years ago but it didn't work properly so I packed it up, put it aside and almost forgot about it. A couple of weeks ago I realized it was still sitting on the shelf so pulled it out. After finally getting my hands on the service manual I felt like giving it a try.

I managed to open it up and remove the top boards as well as the loading covers so I could take a closer look inside. The unit powers up normally, the motor spins and the laser pickup moves into position (with the lens moving up and down a little - focusing, I suppose). So far, so good. But when I open the tray (which works just fine) and insert a disk it doesn't do much. The red light on the front display is blinking but that's it. No movement, no disc spinning. I removed the disc and watched the pickup move into its starting position again. But instead of staying still it began constantly "rocking" back and forth a little, making a low "tik tok tik tok" noise if you listen closely. I turned it off, then back on again and the pickup started doing the same thing again, right from the start. Not sure what it means. Some kind of mechanical or motor related problem? Damage? Adjustment not working, maybe? The manual offers detailed instructions for a test mode but I don't own the original remote (maybe a similar remote might work as well? I got a few others lying around).

I doubt that there's anyone in Germany being able to check or repair a unit like this, apart from that this baby is super heavy so packing it up and shipping it seems almost impossible. I would of course love to repair it myself but haven't done anything like this before.

Sooooo.... anyone got ideas? Let me know about it!
Stefan

Post subject: Re: [LD-S2] Unable to play discs but pickup & motor seem to
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2021, 17:59 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Keep us posted on your progress.
The only thing I knew of is that its a hard player to repair and only a handful of techs would even tackle them back in the day.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2021, 02:10 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Try forcing playback halfway through a disc with tilt and tracking servos open and see if any video shows up.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2021, 14:35 
Honest fan
Honest fan

cplusplus wrote:
Try forcing playback halfway through a disc with tilt and tracking servos open and see if any video shows up.

Thanks for the tip but... how does it work? Tilt and tracking servos open... what do I need to do here, exactly? Like mentioned before I lack the necessary experience when it comes to extensive testing and/or working on LD players in order to fix certain problems.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2021, 05:20 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Service manual will cover how to enter test mode.

Tilt/Tracking open/closed means tilt/tracking off/on. It is displayed on the test mode screen.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2021, 07:49 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Sooooo.... I tried to get my hands on a working remote but was unable to find one. Then spend some more time doing research using both the web and the service manual - plus I had help a friend who was able to read an explain the circuit diagrams to me. We did some basic measuring and checking and it seems that (most likely) something's wrong with the large control board underneath the pickup assembly. Not entirely sure though. But in the end we were unable to narrow it down.

As rein-o had already mentioned it's a tricky machine and hard to repair - so I decided to tear it apart and sell the parts :( . Got rid of it all in the meantime and am now focusing entirely on the two working machines I still own, a LD-S9 and a CLD-2950. The grip ring of the LD-S9 was in need of deep cleaning as some discs were slipping a little after starting playback plus the lubricant inside got sticky over the years so I cleaned everything and apllied new grease. And the loading belt inside the 2950 was worn out and had to be replaced. Fortunately I had this one completely checked and repaired in 2010 as the spindle motor was worn out and even got a second unit in storage now in case I need parts like pickup or gears etc.

Watched a few movies during the last couple of days and they both work just fine. Still amazed by the picture quality of the S9 by the way - aside from a little ghosting here and there its really clean and sharp even though I'm now using a 48" Panasonic Full HD Plasma. Suppose only the HiVision models could offer me an even better picture when it comes to LDs...

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]