It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:26

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: [LD-S2] Won't play discs
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2012, 18:48 
Recently came across on of these incredibly heavy players for a good price.

The unit powers on and the tray open/close works great. However that's about all that happens. When I hit play there is no response from the unit whatsoever, same with chapter skip, etc. I can turn the display on/off but it stays at 00 M 00 S I don't hear the disc begin to spin and when the tray closes I don't hear any mechanical noise like I do with my other players (laser mechanism moving into position?, not sure what is actually happening).

Any ideas on where to start diagnosing what's wrong?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: LD-S2 won't play discs
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2012, 23:31 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Once the tray fully loads the machines takes a while to un-lock the laser pickup so it can move, this can take 15 seconds. Then it will move to the start position and look for a LD inserted. This has a totally different loading system than any other consumer player.

To debug you have to first remove the top clamp piece from the top, this is fun all by itself, then remove the bottom, swing the servo board with the mechanical assemble to the side and go into service mode and see if it will spin the LD.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2012, 18:10 
Thanks Kurtis. Is there anywhere online that would have more details for disassembling and/or troubleshooting this model? I'd like to give this a shot but I have limited electronics knowledge and want to make sure I'm doing this correctly.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2012, 02:59 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

ucfmatt wrote:
Thanks Kurtis. Is there anywhere online that would have more details for disassembling and/or troubleshooting this model? I'd like to give this a shot but I have limited electronics knowledge and want to make sure I'm doing this correctly.

I've never looked online for a site, you can check. This player has a lot of adjustments, probably the hardest Pioneer player to adjust properly.

Post subject: Re: [LD-S2] Won't play discs
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2021, 01:50 
True fan
True fan

I’ve got the same issue with mine. I’ve owned it about 5 years and it always had trouble getting going although it would work reliably after it warmed up and I gave it a running start. By running start I mean, hitting play with the tray open. It would start after a couple of tries.

Recently, nothing I did could get it to play. I took the lid off and decided to retest before I really dug in. I used Postman Always Rings Twice and it worked flawlessly every time even if the tray was in. It worked 10 times straight. I figured maybe the jostling around shook off some dust or something.

I put it back in my AV shelf and tried another disc. No joy. On a whim, I tried Postman again and it worked flawlessly again. I can’t get it to not work. Tried another disc and had the same problem.

Maybe it is the weight of the discs?

There is a slight tilt front to back based on the slope of the floor. I shimmed it to get to level and I have the same play issues.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2021, 02:14 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Mine was an S1 but the issue I had was a slight film on the laser.

But you have to be careful on the S2 as it has a special film on the laser, I believe you can use windex but NO alcohol as alcohol will remove
the film.

My S1 would only play some discs and not others, I thought it was slipping but it was a dirty laser and it works perfectly now.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2021, 02:23 
True fan
True fan

Attachment:
6B29D32E-BB70-429D-979F-018B9078627C.jpeg
6B29D32E-BB70-429D-979F-018B9078627C.jpeg [ 121.24 KiB | Viewed 2138 times ]

#13 of the troubleshooting section on page 37 of the user manual seems relevant.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2021, 22:02 
True fan
True fan

Cleaning the laser with distilled water worked! It’s working like a champ now.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]