It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:21

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: [CLD-3080] Has issues reading side B
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2023, 18:24 
True fan
True fan

I just received this in the mail. Everything seemed to be working perfectly when I popped in the widescreen elite version of Nightmare on Elm Street 2 but then when I put in the Widescreen version of Terminator it seems to have issues going to side B. Do I have to clean the belt again like I did with my Pioneer Elite CLD-53 or is this a bigger issue and I might actually have to replace the belt entirely? It eventually read side B on Terminator but it took a long time to do it about 30 seconds or something. I'm assuming that it means there's an issue with the belt.

Post subject: Re: Pioneer CLD-3080 sometimes has issues reading side B.
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2023, 19:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Sounds like the player made it to you intact :thumbup: . Congratulations in that case as what you are experiencing right now is the best case scenario.

In all likeliness you probably need to replace the loading belt. You can try and clean it with alcohol first to see if that might give it more torque again but it will only be a temporary fix if it does work. In any case, the part number is PEB-1013 and are available on ebay for about $10.

Just be aware that there are two belts in this player. The other belt is of a tooth designed and that one should be fine. PEB-1013 is standard toothless belt design just like the CLD-53. It should be located on the front left side and should be accessible w/ the tray retracted.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2023, 20:29 
True fan
True fan

Any pictures or videos to help guide me? I want to clean first to see if it helps.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2023, 21:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I do not own a CLD-3080 so I have nothing to offer.

What you can do is open up the player, take a lot of pics of the internals including details on the loading belt area & clamping mechanism, and post it here so I can look @ them and mark up the pics to point out things to you.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2023, 13:19 
True fan
True fan

ldfan wrote:
I do not own a CLD-3080 so I have nothing to offer.

What you can do is open up the player, take a lot of pics of the internals including details on the loading belt area & clamping mechanism, and post it here so I can look @ them and mark up the pics to point out things to you.

I took it apart tried cleaning one of the belts underneath and I put back together. Seems to be working a little better but the thing is nothing was coming off the belt at all. It already seemed like someone may have either cleaned it or replaced it. I think someone may have already replaced the belt. I'm done messing with it for now. There's apparently paper protecting the electronics in it and when I took off the top of the player that paper started coming out in pieces. It's weird but I think it was just paper to protect it even though I don't think it really needs the paper to protect it. I just think it's an extra safety precaution by Pioneer.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2023, 13:44 
True fan
True fan

Oh yeah wanted to mention one more thing. This player is pretty heavy. I don't know if it's awkward weight or what but it feels like its built like a tank and weighs like a tank. It's much heavier than my LX-900 revision 1995, LX-h670, and my Pioneer Elite CLD-53. Funny thing is the CLD-53 looks bigger tall wise but it's not as heavy. I think the parts built into this ld player are metal and not plastic. It's pretty heavy feeling. Again I don't know if it's awkward weight making it feel heavier or maybe the metal it's made out of it thick. I also made sure the seller sent this with the best care possible because I read horror issues with this player on here where someone received one cracked on the side of the front panel. This is a pretty cool looking player because I like the front jog panel which is not on any other laserdisc player. That will probably give this nice resale value in the future if I ever decided to let it go. Right now I'm going to enjoy what I have. Going to mess around with it more and do some tests by watching movies and stuff if I can fit some free time in.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2023, 20:08 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The older a player is, the better built they are going to be which equates to weight. That’s the way most devices go through in the product life cycle. Nothing odd about that.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2023, 01:38 
True fan
True fan

ldfan wrote:
The older a player is, the better built they are going to be which equates to weight. That’s the way most devices go through in the product life cycle. Nothing odd about that.

What about the black paper on the side of the panel that was coming off in pieces when I took off the top of the player? How important is that? I'm assuming that it's not a big deal but at same time I was irritated how easily it was coming apart.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2023, 01:59 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Not sure the reason for the black paper but I assume it might have been meant as an insulating material. They do deteriorate over time. I wouldn't worry about it and just keep it as is. I have some black foam coming off of my LD-W1 and CLD-3030 and I just leave it alone.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-3080] Has issues reading side B
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2023, 08:59 
True fan
True fan

Can the alignment be off on side B? I just got done watching Slaughterhouse rock on laserdisc and when it went to side B it struggled to pick up the proper picture. Maybe took about 15-20 seconds to detect the picture properly and image was flipping and stuttering at parts before it finally fixed itself up. This laserdisc might be slightly warped or have some scratches. I know on my LX-h670 this particular laserdisc gets distorted at certain parts on side B or maybe my LX-h670 is defective or has issues too and could be off it's alignment. If this CLD-3080 does have an alignment issue I'm pretty much screwed unless I got a professional to fix it which could cost more $$$. Could be the laserdisc but I know my lx-900 revision 1995 will play through this disc without issues. I really need to do more tests on this cld-3080 but been tired lately and a workout recently has my body in pain. I'm still recovering. I'm pretty sure I'm keeping this because I've already had way too many issues with ebay sellers and if I sent it back ebay might start thinking it's me, lol. Also, I really like this player a lot. I know another one that is in working condition of any type probably won't pop up again and if it does it might command even more $$$. As far as I know there's not many people who know how to properly repair these beasts when they have minor issues. Maybe it does need both belts replaced but the problem is i can't even get to the belts easily. The inside is not like the Elite CLD-53.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2023, 15:04 
True fan
True fan

Capturing Small Soldiers right now through s-video and optical with Hauppauge PVR. This looks incredible and also it went to SIDE B without any major issues. Though for some reason I didn't get a still image. I got a black screen for some reason and it probably took about 15-20 seconds to go to side B but I'm going to chalk that up to this being a 1990 player and the fact the side changes were new in 1990 I believe. The picture quality is impressive on S-VIDEO. I read some where either on lddb or reddit that the s-video on the CLD-3080 was suppose to be good. It looks good and the colors are popping out even on Hauppauge PVR. I'll take screen grabs of it later. Definitely looks really good in my opinion and might actually have the best picture quality out of all my players since S-VIDEO is actually making a noticeable difference. The S-video on my other players are not this good.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2023, 06:33 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jesuslovesgood wrote:
Can the alignment be off on side B? I just got done watching Slaughterhouse rock on laserdisc and when it went to side B it struggled to pick up the proper picture. Maybe took about 15-20 seconds to detect the picture properly and image was flipping and stuttering at parts before it finally fixed itself up.

It's possible but if the player plays the rest of Side B fine w/ no video or audio distortion then it likely is okay. However, the issue could be simply the player not being used much prior to your purchase and maybe some of the moving parts are in need of some lubrication or movement to loosen it up. The distortion @ the beginning of Side B could just be the Side B Centering mechanism not locked in as tight as it could and that can still be a loading belt not clamping the disc tight enough. For now, I would use it more for awhile to see if that loosens up the player and keep it powered to AC to ensure the mechanism stays warm (these older players w/ the amount of metal in them sometimes needs this).

jesuslovesgood wrote:
As far as I know there's not many people who know how to properly repair these beasts when they have minor issues. Maybe it does need both belts replaced but the problem is i can't even get to the belts easily. The inside is not like the Elite CLD-53.

As I have said before, "we" literally have to learn to be technicians to maintain these players now. There's no hope of seeing repair shops return and even if they did the technicians today would not be versed in technology like this. With that said, you don't need to be a pro to understand basic troubleshooting techniques. Start out slow by studying how the mechanics of the machine moves just to get an understanding. You don't have to worry about the electronic side (at least for now) since most issues on LD players start with something very simple like a rubber belt.

And regarding belts, there's always a way to reach it and most of the time it is simple. If you take a pic of your player's internals, I'll do my best to point certain things out.

As a quick tutorial on a CLD-D701 belt change, see this link.....

ldfan @ Does it get much better than a CLD-D702?

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2023, 17:08 
True fan
True fan

Damn it I was capturing the Paper Boy laserdisc and side B did not flip. So one of the belts probably does need a clean or replacement. I'm so annoyed right now. Need help opening it. I don't understand what I'm suppose to unscrew and what not to unscrew. This looks a bit different than the 701 model.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2023, 19:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The loading belt is located about an inch or more to the front of the toothed belt assembly you have pictured. Here is the best I can do to show you the approximate location.....

You should be able to reach it from the rear if you have long fingers or tweezers but if not you may have to try from the front if the loading tray is not in the way (when the tray is open). If it is, then you have to remove the tray to reach it or possibly remove the front facade (neither is something I would try if you are uncomfortable with it).

Also, I'm assuming this was not the belt you said you cleaned before so if that is the case you can try a long swab to give it a dab of alcohol to see if cleaning it will help or not.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2023, 23:32 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Did it try to flip? if it did not even try then the table of contents were not read correctly from side A which defaults the player to play side A only. Otherwise there is a gear sticking out the back of the pickup that fits into a hole in the turn mechanism to turn it over. If the disc is initially loading OK then the load belt should be good.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2023, 20:50 
True fan
True fan

Side B no longer works. Apparently I am going to have to unscrew a bunch of s**t to get to the loading belt. I'm so annoyed right now.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2023, 21:09 
True fan
True fan

Oh wow this is nuts. When I tried capturing star wars it wouldn't go to side B but now I have NightFlyers laserdisc in and I have the laserdisc player open and it's going to side B without any issues now. Also this player is a pain in the a** to get to the belt. I can't get to it. I don't know how to get to it. I just want to be able to unscrew something to get to it but is that not even possible with the stupid design of this player? :lol:

Okay this is strange. I have the top of player off and it does switch to side B but now it's not reading it when it comes to the star wars laserdisc. As if it's having issues trying to read this laserdisc. So is this not a flipping issue? Is this a laser issue where maybe the laser on this is weak and will struggle with certain laserdisc?

https://youtu.be/PaUU0svrzBs

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2023, 00:22 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Not all disc are created equal, you need to accept that first. So if the Side B laser centering to the spindle motor is adjusted to the edge of the tolerance window then it will not read all LD's. First thing you need to do is have the Side B laser centering to the spindle motor checked.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2023, 00:35 
True fan
True fan

krbahr wrote:
Not all disc are created equal, you need to accept that first. So if the Side B laser centering to the spindle motor is adjusted to the edge of the tolerance window then it will not read all LD's. First thing you need to do is have the Side B laser centering to the spindle motor checked.

So does this mean I'd have to find someone who knows how to repair these? Many people who used to repair these are either dead or may have even forgot how to. :lol: Oh well the player works pretty good as it is but it's a shame some discs cause it issues. At least I have 3 back up players. :clap: Though I was really enjoying the look this player was giving off picture quality wise. Anyways here's a comparison in video quality from the CLD-3080 side A s-video vs Elite CLD-53 side A composite. Truth be told I think the Elite CLD-53 at times might be giving a cleaner picture with less noise but for some reason I really like the CLD-3080. I think cosmetically I love the front panel. Also the CLD-3080 supports the unnecessary and kind of pointless stop motion/still frame. I think a player from 1990 aka the CLD-3080 is giving off a pretty good picture quality since the Elite CLD-53 is from 1994.

CLD-3080 s-video

CLD-53 Elite composite

CLD-3080 s-video

CLD-53 Elite composite

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2023, 11:58 
True fan
True fan

Do you agree with him? Does this sound right? Also, how easy is it to get to the laser assembly on a CLD-3080? If I do what he says will it fix it in your opinion and can I possibly damage anything if I do something wrong?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next