It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:56

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-2730K] No Audio
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021, 01:23 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Howdy,

I just picked up a 2730k from goodwill recently. After connecting it to the tv I had picture, but no audio. I tried several Laserdiscs and an audio cd. I did some additional testing with the second set of audio outputs, flipping the attenuator, trying a second set of rca cables, pressing the stereo audio buttons, as well as the headphone jack. All of these had the same result, giving me video, but no audio.

I figured I was missing something so I downloaded the manual, read it, and didn’t come up with any new ideas. I’m new to Laserdisc players, but I do have experience with vintage stereo and computer equipment.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I’m hoping there is just some setting, but if I can be led in the right direction I have a solder iron and will use it if need be.

Post subject: Re: CLD-2730k No Audio
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021, 01:52 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Its a Karaoke player, does it have some type of mute in the manual???
Only guess I have, sorry.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-2730K] No Audio
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021, 02:26 
Site Admin
Site Admin

czar_roland wrote:
I figured I was missing something so I downloaded the manual, read it, and didn’t come up with any new ideas.

They do mention No sound with solution The NORMAL/KARAOKE/AUX INPUT selector is set to the AUX INPUT position.

Would that apply to you?

Julien

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021, 02:47 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Unfortunately no. I swapped the switch back and forth a times. I don’t have the remote, not sure if that matters.

Thank you!

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021, 03:15 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Assuming all the other settings are correct: If you have neither analog or digital audio when toggling the audio mode button on the player (while playing a LD that has both analog and digital audio), I'd try it with another TV unless you know that TV's RCA inputs are fine with a VCR/older game console/etc. I've had an older LED TV's analog audio fail and I have a LCD with it almost going out.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021, 14:41 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Also just came to mind, wonder if the switch needs some contact cleaner spray, may not be working due to being dirty.
Lot of these Karaoke players were in areas with smokers.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-2730K] No Audio  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2021, 00:43 
Third post and above
Third post and above

It is indeed the switch. I noticed this time while fiddling with it that the screen kept reading AUX. if I leave the switch in between, at the right place, everything works. I’ll clean the contacts on Saturday when I have time to take the lid off. Thanks to everyone! Look forward to being a part of the forum.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2021, 01:00 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Happy to hear the switch is the issue.
I use Deoxit.
If it doesn't work you may need to replace the switch. But I can't see why the cleaner won't work.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2021, 04:04 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

czar_roland wrote:
Look forward to being a part of the forum.

Nice! Welcome. :wave:

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2021, 21:56 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Long time no see! Quick update. I have been using my player but it has stayed in karaoke mode. As stated before, this was the only way to get audio, and only if the switch was between positions. This has been an issue for two reasons. One is that on some discs I have to press play between each scene. The second is that some discs have garbled audio in this mode (I’m guessing it’s an analog/digital thing).

So; today I took everything apart to grease the switch and found the VNZ1541-b board (the one with the audio switch, power, and balance settings) is cracked. So I remove the front panel, which was pretty awful, and removed the piece. The crack is near the balance knob section of the board. Any ideas on replacement parts? I guess I could scrape off the solder mask and jump the broken points. Any help would be appreciated!

https://ibb.co/1Qcjsg5
https://ibb.co/fY29fdC

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2021, 09:43 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The damage isn’t as bad as it could have been since only a few traces were cut (could have been near a major IC and trying to jump 50+ connections would be a headache).

It wouldn’t hurt giving a repair a try since parts are not going to be readily available. Not sure what would be a good type of glue to reassemble the boards. Maybe an epoxy.

czar_roland wrote:
Long time no see! Quick update. I have been using my player but it has stayed in karaoke mode. As stated before, this was the only way to get audio, and only if the switch was between positions. This has been an issue for two reasons. One is that on some discs I have to press play between each scene.

That is exactly how Karaoke mode works. It’s designed to pause at the beginning of each chapter because you want to cue up a song for the next singer. Also, the player is also told to prioritize the “analog” audio track since that is where on some discs you can utilize the multi-audio vocal assist (usually left audio is soundtrack only and right audio is vocals w/ soundtrack and you turn the balance knob to get a combination of both). Once you are able to get your board fixed, Normal mode is where you want to be for playing movies.

czar_roland wrote:
The second is that some discs have garbled audio in this mode (I’m guessing it’s an analog/digital thing).

As mentioned above about listening to the “analog” audio tracks, you are probably hearing the static associated w/ the AC-3 encoding (assuming you have some disc in your collection that are encoded that way). If that is the case, there is nothing wrong. You just need to fix your player and get it in normal mode to play the “digital” audio track.

You can tell if you have an AC-3 encoded disc by looking on the cover for logos like “Dolby Digital”, “Dolby Surround AC-3”, “Dolby AC-3”, etc. Also, most of these discs will have been manufactured from 1995 and later.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2021, 15:57 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Thank you for replying. I tried my hand at fixing the board by jumping traces but I think the wire I have on hand is too stiff. I am not an expert with these kinds of repairs. I can solder pretty well, but in a paint by numbers follow the guide way. I am going to keep this player as a spare and hopefully can fix it one day.

In the meantime I was able to pick up a Yamaha player that will fit my needs.

Thanks again, now I can focus on watching and collecting movies.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]