It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:40

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-91] (3070 clone) looking for repairer or advice in UK
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2022, 16:16 
Third post and above
Third post and above

First of all I've like to give a massive thank you to @cplusplus who has given me invaluable advice in trying to repair this player. He has been incredibly patient and got me far further than I ever imagined I would.

A little back story - I managed to get this CLD-91 in the UK from someone who used to live in Hong Kong, they bought it sometime between 89-92 and I'm fairly sure had it from new. This model does not have the Elite branding - but does have the wooden side panels. It's also got a world power supply, so I'm able to run it set on 220v as this is close enough to the 230v in the UK, (the UK used to be 240v a long time ago). To confirm this is still an NTSC only player.

The fault with the player was it the tray would no longer come out and it couldn't clamp the disc. It was otherwise believed to have been working before this.

Having sought advice on the Laserdisc Forever! on Facebook - I'd come to realise this was not a simple case of swapping the belt like I'm used to on elliptical players such as the D515 and D925 which I am much more familiar with!

With @cplusplus's advice I have been able to take the loading mechanism apart and remove all the bad grease - replacing with new. I did however leave the large white cog alone and didn't pull that apart. After a lot of trial and error I got it back together and the mechanism works well. It'll now accept a disc and recognise if it's an LD or CD (usually).

However - it doesn't begin playback properly, you will get something along the lines of:
- corrupted display (such that using a capture card or HDMI adaptor thinks there is no video signal - so you have to use analogue inputs to see
- it's been suggested the video output is not being muted
- some sound will come out, usually very corrupted and it will loop. If very lucky you can make out very distorted dialogue or music
- The spindle motor will occasionally hunt/rev up - this usually links in with the sound
- Front display will dim very slightly as it hunts/revs up. though I have seen CLD-950 do this, that otherwise worked OK
- Sometimes the digital sound is picked up, other times just the analogue (I do have the remote, so swap between them)
- Playback counter does not start, no chapters get listed
- Tested on 8" LD and 12" LD (both NTSC)
- Putting a PAL disc in for a laugh doesn't seem to make much difference

Initially I was able to get CDs playing - but this seems to have stopped. It would seek for a very long time and was quite selective about which discs it would play:
- Skipping between tracks would occasionally miss the first few seconds
- CDs now keep seeking until they hit the end of the disc.
- Sometimes when trying a CD to just spins up very fast and then stops

I fear my investigations are now doing more harm than good, so sadly I've had to give up. I am well aware I have likely damaged a wiring loom or shorted a component or damaged the lens or worse.

I would like to try to repair this player if possible - so if anyone is UK based and up for the challenge - please get in touch. Failing this I have been considering trying to get hold of a broken 3070 from the USA and use it for parts (the wiring looms especially - more on this later).

Things I have tried:
- Adjusting all pots (returning to their solder position after) - makes no difference
- Repaired wires that were accidentally crimped in my investigations (using solder and heat shrink) for 4-5 of the the front panel 12 wire loom and also one of the video board wires - it's been suggested these wires are very fragile - made no difference sadly
- Checked continuity on all wiring looms where I've potentially stretched or damaged them in disassembly
- Checked continuity on most components in the area of the video board where I was concerned I may have shorted it on the frame (I haven't tested every single component as I do not know how)
- Applied light pressure in corners of the laser assembly
- Cleaned the lens with isopropanol in a circular motion and with a q-tip/cotton bud
- Got desperate (and stupid) and tried to cleaning the lens and tried using compressed air on the lens. I did not factor in the moisture content. CD playback stopped sometime after, initially was still working - but LD playback seems the same.
- Checked CN104 pins 9 & 10 - voltage seems OK
- Checked chassis and feet for any bends or obvious signs of damage. I collected this by car, so unlikely it was couriered recently
- Changed the springs on the clamper as I had stretched them through ignorance
- Tried test mode, didn't find anything obvious

Post subject: Re: CLD-91 (3070 clone) looking for repairer or advice in UK
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2022, 16:27 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Links to videos to show playback:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

One shows CD playback where it keeps seeking, the other is an LD playing where you'll hear the sound loop.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2022, 16:38 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Just a quick read on your post.

These players have lots of old grease that needs cleaning, I do know that and have heard you need to take everything apart but its
very hard to get back together correct.

Other thing that is my guess is the laser is dirty, don't use alcohol to clean, I believe windex is OK or someone used distilled water
but very careful to not break the laser.

Worst case would be capacitors leaking or starting to go bad.

I'm no tech so do all repairs at your own risk.
I have 2 3070s and have read and talked with other techs about issues in the past.
One of my 3070s is having trouble flipping and I need to one day open and see what it may be, but that's my deal :lol:

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2022, 01:18 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I checked out the videos and If I had to guess I think the issue could be a combination of alignment / centering and possibly a problem with the field memory board for CLV special effects.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2022, 22:57 
Third post and above
Third post and above

ldfan wrote:
I checked out the videos and If I had to guess I think the issue could be a combination of alignment / centering and possibly a problem with the field memory board for CLV special effects.

Thanks! As a long shot I'll give a CAV disc a go.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2022, 17:56 
Third post and above
Third post and above

ldfan wrote:

I gave a CAV disc a go - doesn't noticeably try to spin at the faster speed. With regarding to alignment and centering - would that be a mechanical adjustment?

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2022, 10:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

It’s mechanical but I am not very versed on the procedure and you will need a special disc to help out on it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]