It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:01

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-3070] Loud noise when tray opens and closes
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2022, 21:27 
Second post
Second post

I'm a newbie to the laserdisc world. I recently got a CLD-3070 from an auction to start playing a few laserdiscs I acquired from a library years ago. The unit plays well overall, but when I first open and close the tray it makes a loud grinding like sound. Once the player is warmed up the sound goes away when inserting a second disc during a viewing. Below is a youtube link for reference.

https://youtu.be/RXzfrZCPBek

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing it? Any help is much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-3070] loud noise when tray opens and closes
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2022, 22:56 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You probably just need to re-grease the entire mechanical assembly.

The 3070 has a bad rap for using a grease that hardens really bad over time. Cplusplus helped me out a few months back to re-grease a 3070 and it was not the easiest job since the player I was working on was totally seized.

Since your machine appears to be working okay, this might be easier for you to re-grease. You need to open it up and carefully chisel away the hardened grease that you find on the plastic gears & metal rails and then apply new white lithium grease (safer for plastic). In hard to get areas, you might need to do some partial disassembly but don't worry about that for now. Focus on what you can reach now and constantly test for improvement.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2022, 05:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I agree with ldfan, I've had to disassembly re-grease and reassemble a few of these. Common problem. You need to get the timing marks correct when you reassemble.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2022, 22:21 
Second post
Second post

Thanks so much for the insights. That makes sense to take it step by step and constantly test for improvement. And thanks for the suggestion of white lithium grease too.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2022, 23:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

In case I was not totally clear, just make sure to focus on the "load assembly" right now (any part that moves the tray in/out and up/down). Don't mess with anything related to the moving laser pick-up (for now). Keep us posted on your progress :)

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2022, 16:28 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Heads up, it is a nightmare to clean and regrease the loading assembly on these so as ldfan said go for the easy to get places (where there is visible orange goop) before attempting further disassembly. The problem is that the most important spots require advanced disassembly to get to.

I'm not positive, but that sound is probably the red toothed loading belt slipping due to the loading gears not being able to easily turn on their posts due to orange goop.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]