It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 09:17

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-D515] Advices
PostPosted: 22 May 2022, 20:13 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hi everyone!

I am very new to the LD community. I recently won an LaserDisc player, model D515 and the seller said it doesn't play CDs (but the motor spins). They didn't say anything about Laserdiscs but someone on Reddit said that the motor or lens could be faulty. The reason why I got one that has this issue is because it's the only one in my budget I could afford, even if I have to pay for it to be repaired. It also plays PAL and NTSC discs which is a bonus.

Can anyone give any advice, that it can only play CDVs and not normal CDs? I also brought a new belt incase the current one becomes an issue.

Attachments:
File comment: ebay listing
Screenshot 2022-05-22 20.11.32.png
Screenshot 2022-05-22 20.11.32.png [ 9.76 KiB | Viewed 1701 times ]

Post subject: Re: CLD-D515
PostPosted: 23 May 2022, 00:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Whether or not it plays CDs is less important than whether or not it plays LDs, don't you think?

PostPosted: 23 May 2022, 05:38 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I think you need to first wait until it arrives to properly test and then give us a full report on what it does or does not do (chances are it will get even more dinged in shipping as that can’t be helped even if double boxed :|).

PostPosted: 23 May 2022, 11:20 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Yes but it would be helpful it it did play CDs. I also got a quote from a repair place too. I just hope the seller sends it this time round (someone selling a fully functional one never dispatched it and its been over a week now).

PostPosted: 23 May 2022, 13:22 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Quote:
The reason why I got one that has this issue is because it's the only one in my budget I could afford, even if I have to pay for it to be repaired.

I don’t see how you could make this determination. It takes some luck (having access to the right guy, access to OOP parts, test disc, etc) just to be able to repair an LD player at all, at any price, and they break very easily in transit. Nobody knows right now what it’s going to take to get this thing going, therefore the cost of repair isn’t known, therefore how could you know this is in your budget?

If it doesn’t play CDs…not a great sign. But it plays CDVs which also have CD sections on them and have to spin faster? More questions than answers on that one…

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 23 May 2022, 15:50 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

M-Holder is probably going to be broken. Stay away from any repair places unless they specialize in LD.

ldfan wrote:
I think you need to first wait until it arrives to properly test and then give us a full report on what it does or does not do (chances are it will get even more dinged in shipping as that can’t be helped even if double boxed :|).

eBay "for parts or repair" is sketchier than buying one "working". I have bought several. My main outcome is that any existing internal damage is amplified in transit, followed by the seller thinking "Well, it is already broken. No need to pack it well."

PostPosted: 23 May 2022, 19:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

cplusplus wrote:
M-Holder is probably going to be broken.

I was thinking the same but didn't want to jump the gun on it. However, if that is the only issue, that would be a best case scenario since the 3D part is now available for it.

PostPosted: 23 May 2022, 22:21 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Well I'm an idiot. Luckily I got to cancel the order and with the refund of the seller of the working player who never sent it im back to square uno. Thanks for the advice everyone, sorry for seeming to be a complete moron, just new to this :crazy:

PostPosted: 24 May 2022, 00:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

toastyfloss wrote:
Well I'm an idiot.

I would look at it more like dodging a bullet and saving yourself from a lot of frustration. Anyway, I suppose where you live may not have a huge used electronics market as it would be best to pick-up a player locally.

PostPosted: 25 May 2022, 13:35 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

ldfan wrote:
However, if that is the only issue, that would be a best case scenario since the 3D part is now available for it.

The safest way to ship these with broken M-Holders is probably by putting a long strip of tape over the carriage motor (running front to back, not over the lens). If the M-Holder is already broken, there is a high chance the motor is going to completely sever in transit which requires some precision soldering to repair.

I have had a few where the Side A rail completely detaches and that is the worst thing that can happen to these last generation CLDs.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]