It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:08

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-M90] Won't play LD or CD
PostPosted: 27 May 2022, 17:47 
Second post
Second post

Hi, first post here. I picked up a Pioneer CLD-M90 disc player. When I first got it, it worked fine as far as playing ld and cd goes. There is a fishy smell. I shipped the player to someone, and they said it didn't work. They sent it back and sure enough, it doesn't work. 9 or out 10 times (or there abouts) when I put a ld in, it loads and displays LD. When I push play, it starts to turn, but wobbles like crazy. It stops then ejects the ld. When I try to play a cd, it loads, searches for the cd, finds it and attempts to pick it up, but stops short of that, pulls back and ejects the tray.

Now, when the unit does decide to play a ld, it smells like rotten fish. Sometimes, the smell will calm down a bit, but for the first 3-8 minutes, it's gross.

I saw where "ldfan" asked someone in another thread about the disc wobbling and also mentioned the fish smell.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

TIA - whathappened

Post subject: Re: Pioneer CLD-M90 - won't play ld or cd
PostPosted: 27 May 2022, 19:49 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s wobbling because something broke. Your only hope there is a compatible donor.

The fish smell is from failing capacitors in the power supply.

In general the M series are not highly regarded. Consider starting over.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 27 May 2022, 22:33 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

From what I think cplusplus mentioned before, the fish smell may well be capacitors in the spindle motor that need replacing. And if that is the case, the motor may not even spin up at all or may not reach its intended rotation speed.

As for the wobble, I did fix my M90 and it was simply caused by the tray not being properly aligned so the disc would never center properly. This also affected CD loading as the pick-up arm would be off center so the arm couldn’t grab a disc properly. You will need to retract the tray, remove it, and then try to re-insert w/ a perfect mesh of the gears (it may take several tries). I would download the service manual as it has a section on the procedure.

And don't ship this player anymore; probably did more damage doing just that on top of the fact that the repair shop you sent it to probably had little to no experience dealing w/ LD players.

Here is a pic of how off an LD’s centering hole was over the spindle motor before I fixed it…..

You’ll know you fixed it when the disc is precisely centered.

PostPosted: 29 May 2022, 04:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

M players are sadly basically unshippable, they have fragile plastics.

(Also don't ship any of the first year or so of late players (CLD-S104, D504/604, V850, early runs of the V2800 and V5000), they have an M-Holder basically guaranteed to break in shipping as well.)

PostPosted: 30 May 2022, 16:43 
Second post
Second post

Thanks all for the feedback and info. I'm going to fool around with this and see if I can't get it straightened out. Bummer on not being able to ship.... Wish they had some sort of locking-for-shipping things built in.

Going to give it a whirl and look for spare part in the meantime.

- whathappened -

PostPosted: 30 May 2022, 21:22 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

whathappened wrote:
Bummer on not being able to ship.... Wish they had some sort of locking-for-shipping things built in.

Some players had transport screws but they were usually the auto reverse (dual side play) models as they would be extra fragile.

Anyway, players would still get damaged back in the day but probably not as much as today. Players would usually be delivered to a retailer in large quantities via truck and shippers for the most part wouldn’t toss them around as much because it would be obvious what was inside a box clearly marked as an LD player. Today, it’s a different story since it’s now about players being delivered “individually” and not in an original box (in most cases) so a shipping person is just going to treat it like any other package they can throw around. Not to mention, cplusplus has emphasized that the plastics in these 20 - 30+ year old players are even more fragile due to age so they are more susceptible to cracking now more than ever.

So yeah…. It sucks that they really can’t be shipped without any degree of risk. I always say pick one up locally if you can but I understand that’s not always possible. And as for repair / maintenance work, we’re all going to have to learn to fix them ourselves since there are really no knowledgeable repair people left that can work on these machines.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2022, 14:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

ldfan wrote:
From what I think cplusplus mentioned before, the fish smell may well be capacitors in the spindle motor that need replacing.

Yep, I still need to find that spindle and open it up to confirm. The smell was overpowering, and I think there was some screeching. I really need to start taking notes.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]