It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:46

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-HF7G] Won't spin disc
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2022, 13:47 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

After 7 months, my HF7G and HF9G players finally arrived from Japan. The HF9G seems to be working. The HF7G had a loading belt issue, which I fixed, but it still won't play any disc, not LD's, not even CD's. It takes the disc and won't spin it. It just shows a "No disc" message on the front panel. Is it a dead laser or a bad spindle motor? I can get the parts from another HF9G, which has a sound board issue that I have not fixed. There was also a black piece of plastic that got broken off from the inside.

EDIT: I've located the broken plastic piece's place. It's at the back end of the tray. I will be able to glue it back, but it may not make much of a difference...

As for the lens, it does light up briefly

Post subject: Re: CLD-HF7G won't spin disc
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2022, 18:33 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Maybe the tilt sensor cannot get any reflected signal from the LD surface, resulting "no disc" message. You may try cleaning the tilt sensor (located next to the lens) with an alcohol cotton swab stick as the very first step to see if it helps.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2022, 21:26 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

That didn't work unfortunately. The issue could still be a weak laser, because red light is very dim when it lights up.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2022, 23:07 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

siutakkei wrote:
Maybe the tilt sensor cannot get any reflected signal from the LD surface, resulting "no disc" message.

Basically this, but it is the pickup itself rather than the tilt sensor. Each have their own light source and photodetectors.

gergo77 wrote:
I've located the broken plastic piece's place. It's at the back end of the tray.

The back left elongated piece often snaps off on these if shipped, but I've had no issues adhering it back.

If you observe the lens from the side, you should see it try to focus three times before giving up.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-HF7G] Won't spin disc
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2022, 16:21 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I tried cleaning the lens, it didn't work. What about the lens adjustment screws? I might try that before replacing the lens...

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2022, 19:25 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Those screws should be for tangential direction angle adjustments. Normally the adjustments should be carried out with an oscilloscope with the player being able to play discs. Since your player cannot play discs at the moment, the adjustment should better not be performed. I remember I've fixed my previously not reading CLD-560 by tweaking the "Focus Sum" pot on the main board. This pot no longer exists in newer players like yours. Instead you may try tweaking the "Focus Gain" pot on the main board to see if there are any good results. If not, tweak it back to its original position. Since I'm not a guru in this field, I hope members like cplusplus can give you more professional advices.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2022, 04:50 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Every time I feel I have a decent understanding, I'm presented with a completely new issue. There is just a lot going on, particularly with the older models.

If it looks dimmer than your HF9G, you'd need to look at the power going to it. The pickup itself could simply be bad though.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]