It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:49

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-1070] Help making list of cleaning equipment
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2022, 20:45 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Today I picked up a 1070 player which turns on and has all buttons working, yet won’t spin any disc. I haven’t had the chance to open it yet since I’m at work, but I’ve already noticed a lot of dust on the tray, and I’m only expecting to find more inside.

So, I’m looking for a list of cleaning products I will potentially need to get the player working again. I’ve heard of 99.9% ISA for lens cleaning and white lithium grease to replace old gunk, but if anyone has any idea of other stuff I should be looking for/get in replacement of the aforementioned, please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Help making list of cleaning equipment for Pioneer CLD-1
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2022, 06:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

First off, don't try to clean the inside of the player especially w/ chemicals as you might end up damaging the player (especially the plastic parts as they start getting brittle as the player ages).

As for dust issue, it's not really an issue if it gets inside the player unless it really affects the functionality of the unit (which is usually does not). But if you must remove the dust, a lint free cloth on the tray is where I would start. For the laser pick-up lense, gently using a moist cotton swab (only water) over it should suffice.

As for the player not spinning up, you probably just need a new loading belt for starters. Most issues w/ LD players are stretched loading belts that are unable to apply enough clamping force on the disc. Here is one you can get on eBay....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174686696306

When you replace the belt, then you should clean w/ alcohol the parts of the drive pulleys that touched the old belt before installing the new one.

Last edited by ldfan on 29 Jul 2022, 05:09, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2022, 16:32 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

ldfan wrote:
First off, don't try to clean the inside of the player especially w/ chemicals as you might end up damaging the player (especially the plastic parts as they start getting brittle as the player ages).

As for dust issue, it's not really an issue if it gets inside the player unless it really affects the functionality of the unit (which is usually does not). But if you must remove the dust, a lint free cloth on the tray is where I would start. For the laser pick-up lense, gently using a moist cotton swab (only water) over it should suffice.

As for the player not spinning up, you probably just need a new loading belt for starters. Most issues w/ LD players are stretched loading belts that are unable to apply enough clamping force on the disc. Here is one you can get on eBay....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174686696306

When you replace the belt, then you should clean w/ alcohol the parts of the drive pulleys that touched the old belt before installing the new one.

Thanks! I’ll keep that in mind. Also, what about a contact cleaner like Deoxit?

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2022, 00:25 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I would only use that on the RCA and Coax jacks only.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2022, 12:39 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

ldfan wrote:
I would only use that on the RCA and Coax jacks only.

I was able to open up the player yesterday, and the lens had quite a bit of dust on it, which led to a clicking noise whenever i tried to play an LD. I read in another post that could be due to the lens not being able to track/recognize a disc.

What solution do you recommend I use to clean the lens? Would the 99.9% ISA I mentioned in the original post still be a good idea?

Post subject: Re: Help making list of cleaning equipment for Pioneer CLD-1  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2022, 17:33 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You don’t want to use any chemicals on the laser lense as my understanding is they are made of a plastic material (not glass) so there is always the potential of damage that includes fogging it up and then it will never work.

Just use a little water on a swab and gently go over the lense with it.

Also, do you see any red light emitting from the laser pick-up when it tries to read a disc?

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2022, 00:43 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

ldfan wrote:
You don’t want to use any chemicals on the laser lense as my understanding is they are made of a plastic material (not glass) so there is always the potential of damage that includes fogging it up and then it will never work.

Just use a little water on a swab and gently go over the lense with it.

Also, do you see any red light emitting from the laser pick-up when it tries to read a disc?

used water on a q-tip and ried it, and lo and behold it spins!! Plugged it into my tv and av receiver and got it working!! Thank you so much for helping me with something so simple :D :D .

I just have one more question. The felt pads on the tray are very worn out, and leaving an imprint on the LD. Would you happen to know what material i can use to replace them?
Again, much thanks!

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2022, 04:56 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Are you saying that sticky material meant to hold the worn out felt in place is now getting on your discs?

If so, I would recommend seeing if you can find replacement felt in the same thickness, cut them out in the same shape as the areas they fit into on the tray, and then use Scotch brand double stick tape to attach them.

https://www.staples.com/scotch-double-s ... NqEALw_wcB

Also, congratulations on getting your player working again. Always nice to see a player working and avoiding the dumpster :thumbup: .

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]