It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:09

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-3080] Spindle Motor runs when power is off
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2022, 00:57 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I have a weird one. Here's the story.
I won a CLD-3080 (Player A) off eBay. It stated that it worked, but the front jog dial wouldn't stay retracted. I get the machine and the description is accurate, so I take the machine apart just enough to replace the jog dial back clasp (detailed in other threads on here).

After I finish putting the machine back together, I notice a sound after I turn it off. Looking around, I find that the spindle motor is spinning after power has been turned off. Nothing was on the front display. I have to unplug the machine from power to get the spindle motor to stop turning. I double check everything, making sure everything was plugged back in. It all looks fine.

Unplugging the spindle motor from the power supply gets it to stop spinning (duh) and there is a multi-cable molex connector running from the power supply to the system board across the player. If I unplug that set of wires, it also kills the spindle motor, but doesn't really help to solve the issue.

Fast forward to this week, I bought another 3080 (Player B) that has the typical laser won't read a disc problem. My thought is to bring this second machine in, take all of it's good boards and parts and just re-use the laser assembly from the good player. I did turn on Player B and it did not have the spindle motor turning with power off issue.

First, I tried to just take the laser assembly out of the Player A (first one) and put into the new player (Player B), but Player B also has some tray issues. So, I remove the good laser assembly from Player B and reverse the process, moving all boards (power supply, video and system board for lack of a better term)from Player B to Player A. I even played with using the front display panels of both Player A and Player B on Player A's chassis. The issue still persists! I'm going crazy.

Here are some videos to demonstrate this. I'll upload photos later tonight to further illustrate things.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-3080] Spindle Motor runs when power is off
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2022, 05:56 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Here is some new info
I performed a couple of tests, scenario A and B

Scenario A - Spindle motor leads (red and white) connected to the power supply board
With the player plugged into the wall, but not powered up, the spindle motor turns as soon as player is plugged in. I get voltage on each of the two leads
Red -14.28V and White 13.89V
No voltage on Pin 1 of either CN104 or CN106

Scenario B - Spindle motor leads (red and white) connected to the power supply board, CN201 unplugged (other side is CN106)
The spindle motor does not turn when the player is plugged into wall power. Red and White leads both measure 0 Volts.
Pin 1 of CN104 reads 0V
Pin 1 of CN106 reads 1.17V

What's interesting here is the red lead for the spindle motor reads a negative even though CR+ is printed on it and the white lead has CR- printed next to it. But the read outs for voltage are flipped.

On my spare unit, I put it all back together with parts from the original player. One problem there, the tray freely slides in and out. It seems like there should be something grabbing it, but it isn't. If I push the tray in, the push the slider mechanism through it's slot, the tray does drop and the machine finishes trying to read a disc. After the load of the disc has finished, I push eject and it will lift the tray/disc back up, but doesn't push the tray out.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2022, 03:45 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If your spindle motor is spinning after you power off then your power supply is not properly powering off. The power supply keeps enough circuits powered on for sensing the power button or remove sensor and the rest should be turned off. You need to debug the power supply to find out why the lines to the spindle motor are not completely shutting down.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2022, 22:47 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Thanks Kurtis. I’m going to through and double check tonight, but I could’ve sworn I took a power supply from my spare 3080 and swapped it in with the problem still remaining. Before I touched anything on the spare 3080, I made sure it didn’t exhibit the same issue. Could the problem lie at all with the front panel since that is where standby power starts?

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2022, 14:26 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Sounds like SP RUN CN106-1 is high when it should not be.

SP RUN comes from IC207 "I/O Expander" pin 64 which should be a CXD1095Q. These ICs were known to be problematic in the 90s and still so today. That being said, it is highly unlikely you have two bad ones if you have tried both. It might be powered by CN106-5 if I traced it right. After plugging player into wall, check if CN106-5 or R103 has voltage (whichever is easier to measure). There should be none.

Make sure all power supply grounding is connected.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2022, 03:41 
Honest fan
Honest fan

This thing has some ghosts. I took the power supply out, check it completely and reinstalled it along with the transformer. When I got everything plugged back in, the spindle motor no longer spins when I plug it into the wall! Progress...

You know how this goes, you fix one problem, two more pop up. I seem to have issues with the playback of a CD (won't play at all, vigorously tries to load but gives up) and LDs skip backwards when watching on side A. It looks like I need to adjust Side A centering and that is done from underneath the player? I saw a diagram for the 3080 where you put it between two tables, then you can access the adjustment screw.

Second issue is the front display doesn't show a counter when I begin playing a disc, it drops the 1-20 something chapter list on the front display and just says "LD 0:00" and doesn't begin counting when the disc starts playing. Weird, I can live with that one, but not sure if it's something simple like changing out a front display ribbon.

I know I bring a lot of these issues to the forum, but this is so fun when you make progress on a fix! Thanks to everyone for your help.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]