It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:08

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-3080] n00b with a busted player
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2023, 19:31 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Good afternoon everyone. First post here, as I just picked up my first decent LD player.

Today I just picked up a CLD-3080 that was advertised as works, no video. Well I hooked it up to my TV with a composite video connection (I don't have anything that will take S-Video; I believe seller was using S-Video) and I have video but it won't play.

What I see:

1) little tray is open. This appears to be a common issue with these.
2) All segments of display and all LEDs on front of unit are lit.
3) Appears to have a service display? on screen. Blue background. Pic attached.
4) I was able to open the tray, load a disc, then nothing happened. Now I cannot eject the disc.

My first thought is that there's a broken belt or belts inside the unit. But that is a complete guess. If anyone has any advice, please let me know. In the meantime, I'm going to be looking for manuals, reading, and also trying to find a remote control for this thing.

Also a question - this has an optical audio out connection. Does that mean that if I have a multichannel disc I can hook that to my receiver and have multichannel sound with no add on decoders? I hope so because that was one of the reasons I was attracted to this unit.

thanks all!

Post subject: Re: [CLD-3080] n00b with a busted player
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2023, 19:42 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

All right, it doesn't look like the pic attached, let me try this again.

Looks like it was too big, I cut the size down some and it's OK now. Let me know if you want to see anything else.

Attachments:
CLD-3080.jpg
CLD-3080.jpg [ 317.02 KiB | Viewed 437 times ]

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2023, 20:31 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Is the owner's manual online anywhere? I found a couple scans of the service manual.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2023, 01:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Here is a link to our database for manuals on the 3070....

https://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pio ... /CLD-3070/

For the blue screen w/ all the data displayed, it appears you have accessed "test mode". Here is an excerpt from page 12 of the service manual on how to enter and exit this mode....

You will need the remote to exit test mode but for now you have other issues to fix. For the one big issue, almost all 2070/3070 models suffer from the dried grease issue. In order to fix this, you literally have to take this unit apart to get all removed from the loading mechanism so that it can work again. The belts may need replacing as well (except the tooth one's) but I would focus on the mechanism first. Here is a link that cplusplus made on tearing it down (it's not a easy job so be patient)...

[CLD-2070][CLD-3070][CLD-91][CLD-92] Loading Disassembly

As for the player having a digital output for multi-channel audio, that will work for DTS encoded disc only (and without the need of any additional components for decoding). If you want the player to output AC3 (Dolby Digital), you will have to mod the player and obtain an AC3-RF Demodulator to make it work w/ the current home theater systems.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2023, 12:58 
True fan
True fan

For Some Reason when you download the 3080 Service on here , it is the 3070 manual? Not the 3080! So, there is some confusion LDfan.

3080 doesn't share the 3070/2070 mech.

It is the same Loading and Laser pickup mech. As the 95/97 without the brushless spindle motor. Same laser pickup and Mech.

Much simpler and no grease problems.

Yes, the remote latch always breaks on these!

Highly regarded as a Audiophile CD player and as a CD transport as the 3080 and 95 had a better Dacs then the 97.. 10 or 12 years ago on here we had a big discussion on them.

The front door is known to warp on the CLD-3080 and not contacting the switch. That or the switch is faulty. I just don't quite recall what is causing the service screen to appear. The micro switches on a lot of these need detoxit. With age. Something I never had to do much until 2016-17 when I last service some 97's ,MLD7020'S.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2023, 15:08 
Site Admin
Site Admin

grasshopper wrote:
For Some Reason when you download the 3080 Service on here , it is the 3070 manual? Not the 3080!

Fixed, thanks!

First one was the SM for 3070, the 2nd one for the 3080.

Julie

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2023, 15:36 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

grasshopper wrote:
Yes, the remote latch always breaks on these!

I see that, what I didn't see is an easy fix, is there one?

grasshopper wrote:
Highly regarded as a Audiophile CD player and as a CD transport as the 3080 and 95 had a better Dacs then the 97.. 10 or 12 years ago on here we had a big discussion on them.

The front door is known to warp on the CLD-3080 and not contacting the switch. That or the switch is faulty. I just don't quite recall what is causing the service screen to appear. The micro switches on a lot of these need detoxit. With age. Something I never had to do much until 2016-17 when I last service some 97's ,MLD7020'S.

Fortunately, I came into this roundabout through vintage audio, so I have D5, D100, and F5 all at the ready :) My first "vintage video" project was a NEC DS8000U S-VHS deck that I found in a thrift store that needed just a little clean up and a new belt; hoping this one is as easy!

Yes, I have a thing for obsolete formats... right now I have aforementioned DS8000U, two Toshiba HD-DVD players, and now this LD player. Still looking for a good DAT deck or a 3-head cassette deck with HX Pro. (I do try to only pick up higher end/well regarded stuff so I am not overwhelmed by projects. Right now I have two busted Sony ES dual cassette decks, and those are a lesson in why LOL. Way too much work to clean up the belt goo for a 2 head deck, and of course there's two transports in each...)

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2023, 17:28 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

How much for the 3080 as a parts machine?

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2023, 18:12 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

So, thank you all for your input, I "fixed" the service mode issue by the technical procedure of gently pressing the door closed while powering up :)

Result - works! But, the seller was correct. There is video output, as evidenced by the service mode screen displaying properly, but it's not outputting the video from the disc. Playing a disc results in a grey screen, but the sound is coming out (at least of the RCAs, I haven't tried digital out. But the "digital out" light is not lit on the disc I'm using so I'm not sure if that would work? Does it output all sound to both RCA and S/PDIF? I really wish I could find an owner's manual, although I will be reading through the service manual more thoroughly)

Playing a CD works fine, although that just gives a blue screen, no screen saver or anything. On a LD, FF, Rew, side A/B flip, skipping chapters all work. Just no video coming out. Front panel display works 100% as well.

So, clearly there's an electronic problem. I'm going to reach out to a few friendly local techs tomorrow and see if any of them want a crack at this. Looks like seller was straight up about this unit, I bet the disc flap switch just started acting up because of the car ride home or something. But unit seems functional otherwise so I kinda want to save it. I guess I'll hold off on searching for the remote for this as it appears that there is a Harmony program for it and I don't want to spend money on it until it is fixed.'

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2023, 15:45 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Update: dropped player off at Shipley's in Frederick, MD last Saturday and the unit was fixed Wednesday afternoon. Apparently there was one bad capacitor that was taking out video on LD playback. Worth the money, I wouldn't have found that myself unless it just blew up. Anyway, it's all good now! Little drawer is not fixed however, he said the part was unavailable and it'd take lots of disassembly to replace it anyway. Is there an easy-ish fix for this or should I just be careful not to walk into it?

I do have to figure out how to get this working with my AVR, I currently have it playing through my TV but that's analog stereo only. Yesterday I messed with the remote to get it all tied into my living room system and figured out something cool - in service mode, when you press a button on the remote or even the faceplate, it throws the OBC up on the screen (in hexadecimal, but still that's handy). Got an upgrade done for my Xsight Color.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload ... e_id=26791

Will go back and edit it because I found more Pioneer LD codes in a different old file.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload ... le_id=2977

Now I'm headed out to hit a record store, because there's a RSD disc that I absolutely have to have. It's also payday. Wish me luck and a safe wallet LOL

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2023, 18:31 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

n8nagel wrote:
Little drawer is not fixed however, he said the part was unavailable and it'd take lots of disassembly to replace it anyway. Is there an easy-ish fix for this or should I just be careful not to walk into it?

Read from the sixth post of this thread and all the way down to the end. It might help you fix the door…

[CLD-3080] Control Drawer Repair

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2023, 19:09 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

ldfan wrote:
n8nagel wrote:
Little drawer is not fixed however, he said the part was unavailable and it'd take lots of disassembly to replace it anyway. Is there an easy-ish fix for this or should I just be careful not to walk into it?

Read from the sixth post of this thread and all the way down to the end. It might help you fix the door…

[CLD-3080] Control Drawer Repair

Thank you! Next time I get motivated to search for stuff like that I'll have to see if I can find that part anywhere.

I think the "tape it shut" idea may have to happen in the meantime; the way my A/V stuff is organized I cannot push the LD player back far enough to not have the drawer sticking out.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2023, 22:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I think keeping the control door shut is fine. There shouldn’t be any need to use it as the original remote appears to mimic all or at least the most used controls in there.

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]