It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:03

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-3080] Gets stuck in Test Mode because of bad door
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2022, 19:50 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Here's a question maybe someone has some insight on. I picked up a CLD-3080 and I'm really enjoying it. The picture is a bit nicer or at least on-par with my LD-V4400 (the CLD3080 is actually less sharp but in a nice way, if that makes sense) from Jan 1997 but obviously has the nice consumer features (auto flip, jog wheel, digital out, etc) so it will probably become my main player.

However, it has a problem with the tray door where it always boots up into Test Mode unless I press the door in. The door is sort of loose and doesn't completely close and the way to get into test mode on this player is to hold open the tray door, so because of the looseness the door switch thinks the door is always open.

The "fix" I've done is to press in the door when powering on the machine and then taping the door shut while playing discs... not very pretty. I tried watching some discs without taping the door but for some reason, it will stop randomly in the middle of disc. With the door taped up as pictured, discs play perfect start-to-finish on both sides.

I've attached some photos from the service manual of what I THINK is the switch causing this? Or am I way off the mark? Maybe the switch needs to be replaced (or removed?) or there might be some sort of mechanical adjustment on the door I can make to prevent the machine from seeing the door as "open" when it boots up?

More detailed images here

Attachments:
File comment: picture of my player with tape holding the door shut
resizeIMG_0784.JPG
resizeIMG_0784.JPG [ 35.83 KiB | Viewed 531 times ]
File comment: front panel and door assembly from the service manual and maybe the part in question?
resize tray assembly.jpg
resize tray assembly.jpg [ 181.81 KiB | Viewed 531 times ]
File comment: switch in question on the schematic maybe?
vsx1014.JPG
vsx1014.JPG [ 176.18 KiB | Viewed 531 times ]
File comment: parts list from service manual
Inkedparts_LI.jpg
Inkedparts_LI.jpg [ 263.54 KiB | Viewed 531 times ]

Post subject: Re: [CLD-3080] gets stuck in Test Mode because of bad door
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2022, 17:26 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I have a front panel from a spare parts CLD-3080. Do you want it?

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2022, 17:34 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

ldstl wrote:
I have a front panel from a spare parts CLD-3080. Do you want it?

Sent you a private message! Thanks

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2022, 16:44 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

OK, got a workaround for this issue in case anyone else has the same problem. It’s not necessarily a mechanical fix but it gets the job done just fine.

The switch on the unit is a momentary single pole double throw (SPDT) and it connects to the player with a little JST / molex connector. It is wired so when the switch is pressed down by the closed door, the connection is shorted and the player boots up as normal. However, because the door on my player is loose, the switch thinks it is open and thus boots into test mode.

My fix was to move the wire on one side of the throw, essentially reversing it. Now when the switch is disengaged, the connection is shorted and the player boots up as normal. If you press the switch, the two wires become open so it boots in the test mode. This works better for my purposes anyway.

I ended up removing the switch from its position on the tray door and set it off to the side. This way, I can boot into test mode by taking the lid off the player and just holding down the switch on start up.

Another fix if your switch is totally broken would just be to jump the two wires, but you’d have to disconnect them to get into test mode.

I made a rough guide with some photos here: https://imgur.com/a/9PB9956 — hope this helps!

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2022, 20:44 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Could you have just replaced the switch??
I'm sort of shocked if you can't get that type of SPDT switch as it was a pretty common switch.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]