It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:27

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-V820] Both Sides play woes
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2022, 03:19 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hey everyone, first post to the forumns, but as these sorts of mechanisms aren't in my usual wheelhouse I thought it best to ask some (possibly) more experienced folk. Basically I got this sweet Pioneer CLD-V820 from Goodwill for a crisp twenty dollar bill, and wouldn't you know it plays perfectly, no performance issues, just plain worked. I couldn't believe my luck, then it tried to change from side A to B. That's when I heard this horrible crashing sound and I panicked and took my disc out and just flipped it manually like I do on my Pioneer CLD-M301. With that the rest of my movie worked like a dream and I had no further issues. Now I wanted to get down to fixing it as generally speaking I'm fairly handy myself and I've been able to work some miracles before. Taking the lid off didn't answer my questions as much as it just confused me on what exactly was going wrong with it. As my ignorance prevents me from going further in on possible repairs I've decided to capture some video of the issue and hand off to all you and ask for any ideas or suggestions as to what I can do to get the old box working 100%. Now seeing as it does play fine on side A I would prefer to not do too much to possibly endanger that performance, I have not tried lubricating the top teeth as that issue didn't seem like it was a lubrication issue, but almost like it was going too far and crashing. It makes the same horrible noise with the lid off as it does on so with that. Thank you to everyone who can help me out here! I leave my player in this communities capable minds!

Post subject: Re: Pioneer CLD-v820 Both Sides play woes
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2022, 04:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

There is a switch on the front right of the upper metal base that is closed when the laser is at the start position for side B. Your switch is not working or the electronics that sense the switch position has failed. When failing the pickup assembly just keeps moving toward the spindle motor and you’re hearing the gear teeth jump on the track and the pickup is physically being stopped traveling too far. When the switch is properly read the pickup movement stops at the inner read point.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2022, 16:36 
Third post and above
Third post and above

krbahr wrote:
There is a switch on the front right of the upper metal base that is closed when the laser is at the start position for side B. Your switch is not working or the electronics that sense the switch position has failed. When failing the pickup assembly just keeps moving toward the spindle motor and you’re hearing the gear teeth jump on the track and the pickup is physically being stopped traveling too far. When the switch is properly read the pickup movement stops at the inner read point.

Thanks for the potential lead. I'll have to search for that switch tonight and see if there's any recourse for me replacing it as I would think the switch would be the most likely culprit in this scenario. I'll update after I've managed to do that.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2022, 02:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Not to state anything against Kurtis’ advice because I totally respect everything he states. However, I will say that if the issue appears to be the laser pick-up hanging up during its turn to Side B, I’ve always found my loading belt to be the issue because it was stretched and not providing enough torque to move the transport assembly during its tilting phase. Just thought I’d throw that out there.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2022, 23:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

ldfan wrote:
Not to state anything against Kurtis’ advice because I totally respect everything he states. However, I will say that if the issue appears to be the laser pick-up hanging up during its turn to Side B, I’ve always found my loading belt to be the issue because it was stretched and not providing enough torque to move the transport assembly during its tilting phase. Just thought I’d throw that out there.

I was going off the Youtube video link in the first message. I took it as that was how the LD player was operating.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2022, 01:18 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

krbahr wrote:
ldfan wrote:

I was going off the Youtube video link in the first message. I took it as that was how the LD player was operating.

I didn’t even notice that link. I just watched the video and that is definitely not what I was alluding too. My bad :silent:

Post subject: Re: [CLD-V820] Both Sides play woes
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2022, 21:14 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Ok so I finally got some time to check it out again, does anyone know if this switch is mechanical or digital in nature? I've been searching for a few minutes but haven't found anything obvious yet.
UPDATE!
I've found this one switch on the transport is this what I'm looking for?

Attachments:
File comment: The culprit??
20221106_121819.jpg
20221106_121819.jpg [ 491.32 KiB | Viewed 1293 times ]

Post subject: Re: [CLD-V820] Both Sides play woes
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2023, 19:09 
First post
First post

I had a very similar issue with my player, I will record a video later today and upload it to YT to see if I can help you! I hope my response isn't too late, I just stumbled across this post.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]