It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:35

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: Showing off my newly obtained Pioneer Laserdisc Player.
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2023, 15:12 
True fan
True fan

For some reason it did that 10-15 second disc eject problem again while making video. I notice that for some odd reason if I let the player sit for awhile and then eject it will usually eject the disc immediately. I'm a bit annoyed because this might mean the belt or something might have to be changed. I hope that's not the issue but I don't know why it would take awhile for it to eject sometimes. I believe this player is a rebadged Pioneer CLD-D503 from what I read online. I like the faceplate on this player and overall looks like an awesome player cosmetically. Video performance wise I think it's fine but I haven't been able to test on our bigger tcl 65 inch 4k tv. I do not know if the softer image will cause more issues on a bigger tv.

Post subject: Re: Showing off my newly obtained Pioneer Laserdisc Player.
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2023, 17:34 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Oh boy is this the M-holder or motor holder?
Hope others can chime in.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2023, 18:07 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Can’t tell by the video but in most cases a slow eject is due to a dirty grip ring on the spindle platform

You can try cleaning it with alcohol to see if that fixes it but there is the possibility that it needs replacing. I believe these gamma turn models do seem to have this issue more than others. Here is a link to a replacement ring if you need it later.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174686647125?m ... media=COPY

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2023, 02:04 
True fan
True fan

ldfan wrote:
Can’t tell by the video but in most cases a slow eject is due to a dirty grip ring on the spindle platform

You can try cleaning it with alcohol to see if that fixes it but there is the possibility that it needs replacing. I believe these gamma turn models do seem to have this issue more than others. Here is a link to a replacement ring if you need it later.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174686647125?m ... media=COPY

How do I get to that part? Is it like that if I open it with player off or do I need the player on to get to that area?

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2023, 03:44 
True fan
True fan

This Pioneer Laserdisc player is whisper quiet during operation. I cannot hear it reading the disc at all when the movie is playing. That's funny because my Panasonic Laserdisc players are loud and make all types of noises. Is that normal that the Panasonic players I own are loud? Also I don't know if it's because this is a Pioneer Player or if it's because this is a softer picture compared to Panny's laserdisc player but there's a noticeable difference in video. I'm not saying it's worse or better at this current time but it's not ugly or anything. I actually like how it looks. Currently capturing Tourist Trap which is probably not the best laserdisc to capture to compare quality between the players since I don't believe I captured this on a Panny yet. It just happened to be a movie I had laying out that needed to be backed up. I wanted to capture something I've already captured before. Actually I might have Ernest Saves Christmas laying around some where and I have captured that both on the LX-H670 and LX-900. I believe I have captures of both of them posted on lddb if memory serves me correctly. Right now I don't feel like opening my box up to find other stuff such as Dark Tide. I own way too many laserdiscs and it's not easy to find movies with how I have it setup right now.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2023, 06:35 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The CLD-53 is the Elite version of the CLD-D503 and yes it has the grip ring issue as mentioned. No MHolder is this model.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2023, 07:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jesuslovesgood wrote:

How do I get to that part? Is it like that if I open it with player off or do I need the player on to get to that area?

1) Take the cover off of the player (seven screws total).
2) While the player is still powered, eject the tray & then unplug the power.
3) See the following two pics......

4) Get a q-tip dipped in alcohol and rub it somewhat hard on the rubber portion of the spindle (which is the grip ring) to remove whatever build up is on it. You might see the q-tip turn black or not. Let it dry for maybe about 10 minutes and then play a disc.

What you should see is that the disc will brake very quickly after the cleaning (if it's not too worn) and then the player will eject the disc very quickly. The reason it was not ejecting before is because a dirty or worn grip ring will not be able to brake the disc properly and the player then ends up letting the disc come to a slow stop on it's own (which can take awhile). Once the disc stops spinning, then the player allows you to eject it.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2023, 07:27 
True fan
True fan

Would you fix it or leave it alone for now? Could anything else get worse on the player if I leave it alone? It seems to open quickly if I just wait a couple minutes for everything to stop making noises like it makes noises while it's resetting things I think. What do you think?

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2023, 07:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jesuslovesgood wrote:
Would you fix it or leave it alone for now?

For something this simple, it wouldn't hurt to get your hands dirty and just get it done. At some point, you're going to have to learn to do stuff like this especially if you plan to stay w/ the hobby. This is as easy as it gets (if it really is just dirty).

jesuslovesgood wrote:
Could anything else get worse on the player if I leave it alone? It seems to open quickly if I just wait a couple minutes for everything to stop making noises like it makes noises while it's resetting things I think. What do you think?

Eventually it will get to the point that it may not have any grip left to even spin a disc and you'll start to hear a sound of a disc slipping when the player is trying to stop a disc or attempting a side change. Otherwise, that would be the worst of it but it will be annoying to the point that you'd want to fix it.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2023, 18:05 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

After a point it could also put a wear ring on your label, so at some point you will need to clean and or replace to protect that
disc you just paid 100 for.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2023, 06:19 
True fan
True fan

rein-o wrote:
After a point it could also put a wear ring on your label, so at some point you will need to clean and or replace to protect that
disc you just paid 100 for.

The player seems to open up immediately if I just wait a couple minutes after movie is over. Maybe I shouldn't mess with anything in fear I might make things worse. It seems to be fine as long as I don't try to open player quickly. It seems it's re-adjusting something because I hear the machine doing something internally maybe around 30 seconds or so after I press stop. Or is it adjusting very slowly because of the issue that it needs to be cleaned?

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2023, 07:14 
True fan
True fan

Awww s**t I'm probably going to have to open it up and clean it a little bit in the future. When I was capturing Dark Tide and I was upstairs it didn't automatically flip the side. So yeah something is going on with this player sadly. Though the fix might be easy. Probably just have to open it up and clean it or buy that 20 dollar part.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2023, 08:37 
True fan
True fan

Holy s**t this thing is dirty. I've been cleaning it for about 30 minutes and black is still coming off. :lol:

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2023, 08:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jesuslovesgood wrote:
Holy s**t this thing is dirty. I've been cleaning it for about 30 minutes and black is still coming off. :lol:

Don’t overdue it. You might be taking off rubber from the pad.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2023, 09:27 
True fan
True fan

ldfan wrote:
jesuslovesgood wrote:

Don’t overdue it. You might be taking off rubber from the pad.

I think I repaired it but when I was scrubbing hard with rubbing alcohol the rubber part or whatever it is did ripple and I thought that would break the player. It has not broken the player so far but it did ripple and has bumps in it now. I believe that's the dirty belt or band I was cleaning that was rippling for so much rubbing alcohol used? Either way the player is now working properly I believe. I am able to eject immediately after stopping the player and I don't have to wait. Then I fast forward manually on the front of the player to near the end of side A of Dark Tide and now it's flipping to side B automatically without any issue. Now I haven't played the movie entirely just yet and I will know around 4:40am or 4:50am if it is properly flipping the laser to read side B but I'd imagine it will if it did when I fast-forwarded to check if it would. We shall soon find out. Thanks for all your help. You all might have just repaired this player so it works properly. I was paranoid I'd break something cleaning it but I don't think I did but the rippling bumps that are now on the band or belt that I was cleaning does concern me. Also I didn't fully clean it because I felt like the rubbing alcohol was stripping off too much black. I spent like 50 minutes cleaning the black s**t off it and it seemed like it had an infinite amount and it looked like it was starting to ripple.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2023, 17:33 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

If you kept cleaning it and black kept coming off it may tell you that the rubber is breaking down so much you need to replace.

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ]