It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:43

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-D702] Laser carriage doesn't move
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2023, 01:58 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hi lddb. I have a CLD-D702 that refuses to play discs. When I first got it the tray didn't open, however I managed to get it open by nudging the plastic guide that lifts the tray up and down. I'm not sure if that's related to my problem but I figured it was worth mentioning. The issue I have now is that when I put a disc in and press play, the disc doesn't spin up. The display registers when I press play, but nothing else happens. I pulled the cover off and saw that the laser carriage the moves the pick up, doesn't move. It just sits in the back. The laser itself does move up and down I search of a disc, but obviously there's nothing at the back of the player.
Does anyone know why this might happen?
I have an identical player that doesn't work at all so maybe I could take the carriage out of that one if need be. Although I'm not even sure that's possible with a component that delicate.
If anyone has any idea I'd be grateful!
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: [CLD-D702] Laser carriage doesn't move
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2023, 07:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You might want to first check the lever switch to see if it's connected properly back to the main board.....

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2023, 03:11 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I checked the wires at the sensor and they seemed ok. I followed them to where the meet with the board and they seemed fine as well. Sorry about the poor quality on the sensor pic, it's deep in the player so my camera didn't wanna focus on it.

Attachments:
IMG_4148.jpg
IMG_4148.jpg [ 212.08 KiB | Viewed 656 times ]
IMG_4155.jpg
IMG_4155.jpg [ 313.13 KiB | Viewed 656 times ]

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2023, 05:25 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

So let me get some clarification....

You say the laser pick-up assembly doesn't travel at all (just the laser moves up and down)? If so, have you tried (with the power unplugged) to move the laser pick-up toward the middle the player by hand and then power it up? Try doing that first and report back if the laser pick-up stays in the same place or actually moves to the rear of the player.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2023, 05:35 
Third post and above
Third post and above

yeah I tried that, nothing. I thought moving the laser under the disc might let the player sense the disc. but it wouldn't even try to play unless the laser started at the back of the machine.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2023, 09:46 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

So the laser did move to the back of the player on its own when you powered up the machine?

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2023, 14:28 
Third post and above
Third post and above

No it just sat there. It doesn't move no matter what I do.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2023, 18:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If that is the case, the motor riding on the pick-up assembly appears to not be getting power. A simple thing to try is to re-seat all the ribbon cables running from the pick-up, to the turnstile unit, and then to a main board (two cables and four connectors, I believe).

I’ve had cables that looked fully inserted that ended up not being the case and doing just that fixed it. Just make sure you fully comprehend how these cable disconnect as I think they all have locking tabs you need to pull up at the plugs before trying to pull the cables.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2023, 04:23 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I popped the tabs up and pulled the white cable was quite chewed at the ends. The orange cable to the laser looked fine though. I thought I could try a cable from the other player but it seems to be missing. Go figure I guess. I have a working CLD-D504 which has the same cable so I'll try testing it with that tomorrow when I get a chance.

Attachments:
IMG_4180.jpg
IMG_4180.jpg [ 209.71 KiB | Viewed 606 times ]
IMG_4179.jpg
IMG_4179.jpg [ 178.15 KiB | Viewed 606 times ]

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2023, 05:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If this ends up being the only issue, you are lucky then.

You can get a replacement AWM-2896 on eBay but many do not come in a 22 pin configuration. However, you can cut them down to the appropriate number of pins.

Just measure how long a cable you need and hopefully someone is selling one close to it.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2023, 22:35 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Cracked open the CLD-D504 only to realize it doesn't have the same cable. So unfortunately I'll have to buy a cable and pray it fixes the issue. I don't have an ac-3 decoder and the d702 has a decoder built in so I'll finally be able to take advantage of my surround sound discs. I'll let you know when the cable comes in, but either way, thank you for helping me out.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2023, 22:50 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

11swp03 wrote:
Cracked open the CLD-D504 only to realize it doesn't have the same cable. So unfortunately I'll have to buy a cable and pray it fixes the issue.

The 504 is totally different animal compared to the 702 since their laser pick up set-ups are different. Anyway, getting a cable is only the next step but it's one you have to take if you want to progress further. Or see if you can bend some of these messed up tabs in place to see if that might work but the risk is creating a short if one those pins goes out of alignment in the plug housing.

11swp03 wrote:
I don't have an ac-3 decoder and the d702 has a decoder built in so I'll finally be able to take advantage of my surround sound discs.

Maybe your confused about something but the 702 is not an AC3 capable player (unless you modify it like many of us have to add the AC3-RF Out). Are you assuming the digital outputs carry AC3? All you will get is PCM to playback Dolby Pro-Logic or Stereo and DTS if you have a DTS encoded disc.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2023, 05:27 
Third post and above
Third post and above

ldfan wrote:
Maybe your confused about something but the 702 is not an AC3 capable player (unless you modify it like many of us have to add the AC3-RF Out). Are you assuming the digital outputs carry AC3? All you will get is PCM to playback Dolby Pro-Logic or Stereo and DTS if you have a DTS encoded disc.

Oh that's good to know. Sorry I've had a player for a while but only recently had the space and time to set up the hi-fi system to go around it. So I'm still learning about the sound encoding systems.

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]