It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 00:42

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: [CLD-3080] Has issues reading side B
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2023, 18:13 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Who is this guy?? I trust krbhar, grasshopper and the other one or two, LDfan and one other I can't remember his name now.
They have been fixing stuff and have had players go through their hands to know what to do.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2023, 19:41 
True fan
True fan

rein-o wrote:
Who is this guy?? I trust krbhar, grasshopper and the other one or two, LDfan and one other I can't remember his name now.
They have been fixing stuff and have had players go through their hands to know what to do.

He has repaired a cld-3080 in the past I think. He is showing stuff on his channel but it's snippets. It's not much. I do not know if he is correct on the issue I am having. I find it odd that it jumps to chapter 3 and gets stuck at 0 minutes. To me that sounds more like a laser alignment issue. I don't know how greasing something would fix alignment issues if it's struggling with certain discs. I could be wrong but I think adjusting the strength of the laser would make more sense than greasing something. However I'm not an expert at repairing a cld-3080 or laserdiscs in general.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2023, 19:56 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Well read and re-read what the ones that I have posted say about how to repair this, that's your only hope, or ship it to get it
fixed but that will cost you shipping both ways plus repair etc.

At this stage of the game you're going to have to figure it out and fix yourself with advice from the above I mentioned.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2023, 00:02 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You can just get a little white silicon high speed grease and stick you finger on the rail to re-grease but if this was the issue you would have jumping or skipping on playback with your discs that do work for side B. Just put in a disc that doesn't work, flip it to side B and add pressure to the right to see if it starts up and if it doesn't the add pressure to the left. If it works with pressure added then the centering is out of proper adjustment. You cannot try to permanently bend the top to make it work as that will cause other issues, it will need to be properly aligned. Don't add too much pressure as you could break the plastic mounting part at the back.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2023, 01:59 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

krbahr wrote:
You can just get a little white silicon high speed grease and stick you finger on the rail to re-grease but if this was the issue you would have jumping or skipping on playback with your discs that do work for side B. Just put in a disc that doesn't work, flip it to side B and add pressure to the right to see if it starts up and if it doesn't the add pressure to the left. If it works with pressure added then the centering is out of proper adjustment. You cannot try to permanently bend the top to make it work as that will cause other issues, it will need to be properly aligned. Don't add too much pressure as you could break the plastic mounting part at the back.

Hey Kurtis. Couldn't this issue still be loading belt related? I was thinking if the belt is not torquing up enough on the clamper it could still be telling the microprocessor to not play at times (especially affecting the side B centering mechanism in this case)? What do you think?

I do agree with you that it's not grease related as you noted there would be more skipping issues. I also doubt it's a weak laser as OP has considered since if it was weak it would not play side A as well (which doesn't appear the case).

rein-o wrote:
LDfan and one other I can't remember his name now.

I think the other guy you are thinking about is cplusplus. Also, don't give me that much credit, I really don't mess with these machines as much as the other mentioned members. I really just do a lot of AC mods and the occasional repair job that comes along when I really need to fix something. ;)

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2023, 04:14 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I was wondering what was happening and the last video showed side B trying to read the disc and then quitting where with other discs side B worked. I’ve seen this before.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2023, 05:18 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I guess I should have watched the video first, my bad :oops:.

Seeing that issue of the player going to chapter 3 and the minutes counter moving back & forth, it definitely looks like an alignment / centering issue. My 704 had this problem but in my case the upper track framing was bent out of alignment when it was possibly shipped before I owned it. I ended doing a side by side comparison of the mechanism to a 703 to get it back in alignment with my bare hands (not a very professional approach but it worked).

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2024, 20:06 
Honest fan
Honest fan

rein-o wrote:

Hi rein-o, that's me. Early on in posting to my newly minted Youtube channel. I'm trying to publish things as I work on them, good or bad. I usually post my results at the end.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2024, 00:03 
True fan
True fan

Flipping is no longer an issue with this player but it seems to struggle to read side B for whatever reason. Now I'm forced to flip the discs manually which defeats the purpose of owning a player that reads both sides. :lol: I hate this CLD-3080. It has given me headaches over the years. Sure that James Bond pop out built in remote is cool but it seems it has issues reading discs on side B properly. Like the video is messing up at times but when I flip it manually it works fine.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2024, 05:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

krbahr wrote:
Just put in a disc that doesn't work, flip it to side B and add pressure to the right to see if it starts up and if it doesn't then add pressure to the left. If it works with pressure added then the centering is out of proper adjustment.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2024, 16:17 
True fan
True fan

cplusplus wrote:
krbahr wrote:
Just put in a disc that doesn't work, flip it to side B and add pressure to the right to see if it starts up and if it doesn't then add pressure to the left. If it works with pressure added then the centering is out of proper adjustment.

Confusing as hell. :lol: I'm more of a visual guy. Text is hard for me to understand. Something about applying pressure to the right side. :lolno:

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2024, 03:45 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

As it starts attempting to read Side B, apply a very small amount of pressure towards the right where the left arrow is. If it doesn't help, start over and try the other direction where the right arrow is (covered by video board in photo). If either of these help, you will need to make an adjustment to the point in the cyan square. This is optimally done with an oscilloscope and a special tool, but neither are absolutely necessary.

Attachment:
Centering.jpg
Centering.jpg [ 71.19 KiB | Viewed 35 times ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2