It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:26

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-737] Power Issue
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2023, 03:33 
Third post and above
Third post and above

First time posting so go gentle on me.

I picked up a Pioneer CLD-737 a while ago and I'd be very happy to get it working as a daily driver. At the time, it powered up and functioned long enough for me to play a laserdisc successfully, so I know it can do that. But the power would cut out suddenly while playing the disc (never for longer than 5 minutes IIRC). Now, it will go to standby mode when plugged in, but when I push the power button the display lights up only for about a second before it goes back into standby mode. Only difference is the red LED will sort of flicker continuously until I unplug it, which I end up doing because it won't respond to anything else at that point.

I'm still a beginner with electronics repair, but soldering is something I'm comfortable with. From poking around on these forums, am I in the ballpark saying this problem is related to capacitors? Or am I totally off?

While I'm at it, are the power supplies for the CLD-535 and CLD-737 interchangeable? They look identical to me, but I could very well be missing something. If this is a power supply issue, I'm wondering if I could replace the 737 with one from the 535.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-737] Power Issue
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2023, 03:49 
Site Admin
Site Admin

black3daa wrote:
But the power would cut out suddenly while playing the disc (never for longer than 5 minutes IIRC). Now, it will go to standby mode when plugged in, but when I push the power button the display lights up only for about a second before it goes back into standby mode

Player going to standby by itself is a protection mode where some of the internal voltages are not received properly (too high or too low).

That would usually denote dying capacitors or broken/damaged soldering.

Not easy to fix.

Julien

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2023, 08:08 
Third post and above
Third post and above

admin wrote:
Not easy to fix.

Not easy but...not impossible? :think: Probably beyond my skills, but in theory could replacing the capacitors starting with the power supply then moving on to other boards potentially fix the issue? Assuming I didn't screw anything up along the way...

Any idea about swapping the power supplies or where I might find that information?

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2023, 08:11 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You would need the Service Manual for both but we don't have them yet here:

https://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pioneer/CLD/

Julien

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2023, 18:13 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The CLD-737 appears to be the Japanese market equivalent of the CLD-D701.

You can look up that manual but remember the difference is going to be the power supply (100volt vs 120v).

In any case, a power supply issue is sometimes the best case senario in respect to repairing anything. As Julian said, it does sound like bad caps so the first thing you can do is look @ the power supply and see if you can find any leaking or bulging caps just to get a quick evaluation of the issue. Replacing them is fairly simple if you are well acquainted to using a soldering iron and know how to read the values on the caps.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2023, 00:31 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Use the service manual and take a multi meter and measure the output voltages from the power supply. The good one will go up to proper value until unit powers down, the bad one will never reach desired voltage. Then you have to determine if the issue is the power supply or the boards that power output goes to. Isolate the power bad from the supply output and then see what happens. Could be easy, could be a nightmare.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2023, 02:24 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Thank you everyone! I'm not sure if or when I'll get around to attempting this, but if I can I'll give an update.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2023, 11:27 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I too had problems with capacitors on my LD player (a Yamaha) and a recap of the entire power board has given it a new lease on life. :)

Cheers,

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]