It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 19:11

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-D604] Pickup not moving, worm gear spinning  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2023, 00:54 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hi friends, I have a CLD-D604 that was damaged upon arrival that I've been trying to fix. I replaced the belt, as the tray was reluctant to open and only CDs were spinning, not LDs. Now I'm getting a whirring noise from the laser pickup, which after a great deal of research I've determined is the sound of the worm gear spinning without being able to move the pickup. I've attached a YT link to the gear spinning and two pictures of the pickup. If I ever so carefully move the pickup back myself, depending on where I've manually cranked the tray's gears to with my finger, sometimes the tray will move into position and it sounds like it's ready to go, but the pickup's lack of movement seems to put everything on hold. I was getting it to read CDs before as I said, so I feel like this is just something dumb I knocked out of position when I was messing around with the unit prior to changing out the belt.

I'm about out of ideas and I don't have much experience with LD players, so any help would be appreciated. I've read online that an M-holder could be the issue, but I can't see any damage to the worm gear. You tell me. Thanks!

Worm Gear Operation Video:

Post subject: Re: CLD-D604 Pickup not moving, worm gear spinning
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2023, 02:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

More than likely you simply have a broken M-Holder (motor holder).

It has been discussed a lot on the forum. You can order a replacement here…..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175047713710?m ... media=COPY

And you can read more about the issues here….

LaserParts VNL-1779 "M-holder" equivalent release!

Look for broken pins on your M-Holder that holds the smaller gears. That is essentially the issue as the pins don’t hold the gears in their proper position and can’t move the pick-up assembly.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2023, 05:26 
Third post and above
Third post and above

ldfan wrote:
More than likely you simply have a broken M-Holder (motor holder).

It has been discussed a lot on the forum. You can order a replacement here…..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175047713710?m ... media=COPY

And you can read more about the issues here….

LaserParts VNL-1779 "M-holder" equivalent release!

Look for broken pins on your M-Holder that holds the smaller gears. That is essentially the issue as the pins don’t hold the gears in their proper position and can’t move the pick-up assembly.

I had read about this being a potential problem but thought that the pickup would make some attempt to move around. Is it possible for the pickup to completely cease to have any ability to move itself along the rails due to the m-holder going bad? I can still move it manually without any issues if it's unlocked, it glides along the rails no problem. In any case, I'm happy to order a replacement and swap it out, the video makes it look well within my comfort level when it comes to repairs.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2023, 07:42 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If the pins of the M-Holder don’t hold the gears in place because they have broken off, then the gears are just floating around loosely and not able to get their teeth to intertwine with the other gears. If you think of it that way, of course you can still move the pick-up around since they are turning loosely all over the place.

I think you are assuming the gears are busted or jammed which in some cases could lock something down like a pick-up assembly on a track. However, this is not it.

Just take a close look at your M-Holder and look for those small gears and look closely at the pins holding them in place. If you can nudge those pins freely with the gear, they are broken.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2023, 10:35 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Broken on arrival, eh? Oh well, add another destroyed player to the pile…

If it’s the M Holder (sounds like it) and it’s an original part then it was probably at least half broke when they mailed it. Please do not mail players though, seriously. I know you got bored on YouTube and just wanted to try something but please try to see the larger picture: players that worked for decades are being smashed almost daily by noobs in Facebook groups who only heard of LD a month ago. They think they are entering a scene but they are also helping to end it completely by rapidly accelerating the rate at which players are being consumed.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2023, 15:05 
Third post and above
Third post and above

signofzeta wrote:
Broken on arrival, eh? Oh well, add another destroyed player to the pile…

If it’s the M Holder (sounds like it) and it’s an original part then it was probably at least half broke when they mailed it. Please do not mail players though, seriously. I know you got bored on YouTube and just wanted to try something but please try to see the larger picture: players that worked for decades are being smashed almost daily by noobs in Facebook groups who only heard of LD a month ago. They think they are entering a scene but they are also helping to end it completely by rapidly accelerating the rate at which players are being consumed.

Thanks for standing at the gate of LD heaven. I've been collecting laserdiscs for about 7 years, and have enjoyed tinkering with vintage electronics and computers for a lot longer than that. I wanted to get this player so that I can use it with my vintage surround sound setup with my Wega Trinitron I've also had for years. I'm well aware of the issues shipping can cause, which is why I bought the player I did, which is not a rare model. I've seen exactly 4 players show up within 100 miles of me in 7 years, and because yes, LD seems to be having a little bit of a resurgence online I decided to bite the bullet and spend less than $130 to get a player with AC3 capabilities shipped to me in the hopes I'd be able to fix it if it had issues, which so far has been well within my electronics capabilities and has allowed me to support the awesome guy running the LaserParts store keeping this hobby alive. I made my first post here for this because I've never had an issue with my CLD-V2600 I couldn't fix myself with research since I found it locally and re-discovered the format 7 years ago.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2023, 15:14 
Third post and above
Third post and above

ldfan wrote:
If the pins of the M-Holder don’t hold the gears in place because they have broken off, then the gears are just floating around loosely and not able to get their teeth to intertwine with the other gears. If you think of it that way, of course you can still move the pick-up around since they are turning loosely all over the place.

I think you are assuming the gears are busted or jammed which in some cases could lock something down like a pick-up assembly on a track. However, this is not it.

Just take a close look at your M-Holder and look for those small gears and look closely at the pins holding them in place. If you can nudge those pins freely with the gear, they are broken.

Makes sense to me. With the angles I can get and my big hands it's hard to see exactly but from what I can tell yes it's those pins. I've ordered a new holder and I'll swap it out when it arrives. Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2023, 22:28 
Third post and above
Third post and above

In case anyone stumbles across this forum, I just wanted to say that ordering a new M-Holder from thelaserparts store on eBay did fix the problem. The plastic rods that hold the gears in place on the original had both cleanly snapped off. The new M-Holder works perfectly. Thanks to it and a new belt the player has been restored to its original glory. Thanks to ldfan for his helpful comments.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]