It is currently 18 Jul 2024, 09:50

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-D99] Repair
PostPosted: 04 May 2024, 08:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I was brought a CLD-D99 with some playback problems. There would be an intermittent P5 error. I opened it up and noticed Side A centering locking had been broken (never a good sign unless it has been reapplied). Even worse: half of the Side A centering adjustment screw had been broken off:
Attachment:
Centering_Broken.jpg
Centering_Broken.jpg [ 69.75 KiB | Viewed 267 times ]

The adjustment seemed quite stubborn so I took a look at the side to see where it was at:
Attachment:
Centering_View.jpg
Centering_View.jpg [ 34.52 KiB | Viewed 267 times ]

The underside of this adjustment screw is similar to a half circle, and it was all the way around where the flat side was against the motor base (only should be this way when the motor base needs to be separated from the tilt base). This is what the service manual means by "Be careful not to turn the centering adjustment screw past its limit." I could not get it back around so I pulled the entire mech. What had happened is the back of the motor base disconnected from the tilt base. This photo is after I corrected it:
Attachment:
Tilt_Base.jpg
Tilt_Base.jpg [ 57.82 KiB | Viewed 267 times ]

After that it was mostly downhill with the servicing except for the frustration of re-centering with a torx screwdriver into what was left of the centering screw. Better than the underside being broken off at least.

On a side note, I did not know there were two types of CLD-D99s: one with a voltage selector and one without. This one has the voltage selector and (based on SM) came out the year after the one without the voltage selector.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-D99] Repair
PostPosted: 04 May 2024, 22:06 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Looks like whoever did that made the same mistake as my dumbass did on my poor DVL-909 (rip).

One has to wonder if it was really necessary for Pioneer to design the adjustment screw that way, considering it can make things significantly worse just by turning it too far...

PostPosted: 05 May 2024, 01:23 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You have to find the pins and holes one each part, physically align then and manually push to the extreme, then you can turn the adjustment tab back around to its proper position.

PostPosted: 10 May 2024, 01:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

jd213 wrote:
One has to wonder if it was really necessary for Pioneer to design the adjustment screw that way, considering it can make things significantly worse just by turning it too far...

It was designed to allow the main mech pieces to separate, but very rarely does that need to be done. No excuse for making it out of plastic though :lol:.

krbahr wrote:
You have to find the pins and holes one each part, physically align then and manually push to the extreme, then you can turn the adjustment tab back around to its proper position.

I did not realize it was completely out, but now I know to check. It had decent playback for such a severe issue.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]