It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:37

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pioneer CLD 2950 Video Hook Up....Please Help...!
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2013, 22:39 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Okay I have a Pioneer CLD 2950 model with a samsung HDTV,got great results from composite connection and stereo jacks...recently I changed to composite into Scart,and it looked very slightly different,but not for the worse or better...has anyone out there in Laserdisc Land got a 2950 and what leads have you got and if anyone wouldnt mind posting some pics up,hopefully Independence Day,because I think that is the most common Laserdisc,everyone has it......

My Tv has also got Scart and Component and connections available...Im gonna have to plug a Scart adapter into my tv from the S-video......Im gonna try connecting using the S-video Lead,and then after seeng the results from S-video to component to see what happens,Im leaving the audio plugged up from RCA Jacks and Optical as it is.....but Video connections,I was just wondering if anyone can give their thoughts,all the leads dont arrive until next week..........Many thanks.......

Post subject: Re: Pioneer CLD 2950 Video Hook Up....Please Help...!
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 14:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The composite output is taken earlier in the signal flow where the scart it seems it flows through some further additional circuits, however please make sure the HQ circuit is switched off a this reduces the sharpness significantly.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013, 00:38 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Turning HQ off does sharpen up the picture but at the same time it gives edges a blueish glow,and amplifies picture noise.....yet when the HQ picture setting is ON,they disappear,to compensate I just turn up the sharpness by 3 notches and the detail returns without the blue halos...But I dont see what your getting at by saying the signal flows through more circuits using scart,why is that a bad thing...?...if by using composite,Im letting my tv do the filtering,and using S-video,my laserdisc is doing the filtering,how do I know which is better at it,have you got a Pioneer 2950..?...if so how is it connected to your HDTV....?

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013, 01:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The grand majority of modern HDTVs have better comb filters then even the very best Laserdisc players. The HQ picture setting is bascially DNR/digital noise reduction, and so just like with the comb filter being better in your HDTV, the noise reduction settings on your HDTV will be better equipped as well.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013, 14:24 
Serious fan
Serious fan

oooo Ive already messed with the DNR settings of my 6 year old tv,and it was awful....smear city and blurry picture palace....They are rubbish,so I turned them all off,even turned all the settings that relate to high definition off.....ie backlight and Dynamic Contrast....basically turning the tv into an analogue display.....anyway,Im thinking if it looks better without the tvs involvement then maybe the laserdisc player will do a better job with the comb filter,even the manual recommends S-video over any other connection......

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2013, 13:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

mercury77 wrote:
Turning HQ off does sharpen up the picture but at the same time it gives edges a blueish glow,and amplifies picture noise.....yet when the HQ picture setting is ON,they disappear,to compensate I just turn up the sharpness by 3 notches and the detail returns without the blue halos...But I dont see what your getting at by saying the signal flows through more circuits using scart,why is that a bad thing...?...if by using composite,Im letting my tv do the filtering,and using S-video,my laserdisc is doing the filtering,how do I know which is better at it,have you got a Pioneer 2950..?...if so how is it connected to your HDTV....?

I am using a CLD-D925 and I do not have the issues you face when switching off the HQ circuit, also the cinch ouput is equal to the scart output.
I have both the cinch composite output and S-VHS output connected to a scaler which converts it into a progressive RGB signal, selecting between both inputs I do not see a major difference in picture quality on my Samsung 200Hz 40" monitor.

I know it takes a lot of time to try what gives the best results on your configuration, just select what you think are the best settings / connections.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2013, 07:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good morning mercury77,

I have just read your post sir

Thank you for sharing with us here, I hope that some one better qualified than myself can give you the full answer.

Pioneer CLD 2950 is a fine player, of which had a better more solid build quality feel than say the CLD 925, of which is also a fine player.

Has your player received a modification with reference the AC3-RF output?

I currently have my 2 main players connected CLD 925 Scart to S-Video and my HLD X9 S-Video to Scart however, I would like to try the composite line at some stage.

The picture quality that I am getting is good, and if the opportunity presents itself then I would like to purchase a good line scaler connected through the SDI connection, as I consistently hear good results.

Sincere Regards to you.

:thumbup: :D

P.S Keep us informed of your results from the cables when you receive and connect, and compare.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2013, 09:59 
Serious fan
Serious fan

No Mods on the player.....I believe in listening to the soundtrack the way it appeared in the cinema.....stereo for Films that can be converted through a pro logic system,although my living room does not allow for surround sound as the fronts do a good job of bouncing sound.....

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2013, 18:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good evening mercury77,

Good to read from you

I know what you mean, and that's why I haven't modded one of my players CLD-97, as I have enough other player with the RF-Mod.

I wanted to leave the player alone in it's original state.

I hope you have a pleasant weekend.

Kind regards

:thumbup: :D

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2013, 12:38 
I have just picked up a 2950, how did you get on with the connections?

I was looking at Scart to HDMI convertor to and LG LED
Again, audio by optical.

Thanks,
Sam

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2013, 13:22 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

samf wrote:
I have just picked up a 2950, how did you get on with the connections?

I was looking at Scart to HDMI convertor to and LG LED
Again, audio by optical.

Thanks,
Sam

Plentiful enough of these lead/cables on eBay cheaply. I might get one myself but... I still need to pass the optical for dts and coaxial for Dolby AC-3 separately to the AVR so makes little sense with use of this lead even if I spent £3.97 free/postal. A straightforward video lead from Laserdisc player to the AVR.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... d&_sacat=0

Not sure what the deal is on this box? I don't have one to even guess what it might do for my Laserdisc player? I know it says converter 720/1080p.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCART-HDMI-to ... 4d13fdf435

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2013, 13:03 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Well my tv does not deal greatly with s-video thru scart hook up...the picture is black and white....but if two wires are soldered inside,then I will get colour....so next week I take the wire to radio shack to find out....the black and white picture tho in terms of black level,sharpness and picture noise is far superior than the composite connection,so I really want to try and resolve the black and white issue,which I know is only an issue with my tv....it cant handle s-video....x

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2013, 20:50 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I have one of these which does improve the image from my 925

http://www.cypeurope.com/store/store/ap ... aler-1080P

I may sell this on in the near future as I am running out of hdmi inputs, Xbox one on its way :angel:

If anyone is interested just let me know

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2013, 21:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

smitken wrote:

I may sell this on in the near future as I am running out of hdmi inputs, Xbox one on its way :angel:

Just out of curiosity...?
Does this device let you select the aspect ratio when displaying 720p or higher? Does it include aspect ratio switching such as 4:3 letterbox etc...?
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2013, 13:50 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Well got the thing souldered....and it created dreadful streaking of white colour across the screen,so I guess the best option with my TV is composite.....but I do plug that thru a scart adapter because the picture looks a hole lot better,if I plug the lead straight into the composite input the colours are not as bold and the picture is not as sharp and it has more video noise,the scart must do something because whites are brighter,colours are more deeper and brighter,and the picture appears more cleaner...So compsite thru scart for the picture and stereo plugs for audio.....and just had my THX receiver arrrive now,so will plug that up and BOOM..!!!

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2013, 22:24 
Honest fan
Honest fan

kris wrote:
smitken wrote:

Just out of curiosity...?
Does this device let you select the aspect ratio when displaying 720p or higher? Does it include aspect ratio switching such as 4:3 letterbox etc...?

No I don't think so, you can toggle between resolution 720,1080i,1080p etc and then change the aspect ratio via the tv

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ]