It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 17:19

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-2850] Auto side change problem
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2014, 11:57 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I swear this thing near went through the window last night. The auto side change stopped working again so went hunting once more. From what I can tell the whole mechanism is controlled by a combination of the motor on the tray and the motor on the laser. The mech appears to work as follows:

1. Laser retracts and runs up rails into rotating caddy.
2. Laser rotates 180 degress, bounces back say 2 degrees and waits for tray mech to drop. (this is the problem)
3. Once tray is set disc starts spinning in reverese and laser moves along top rails.

If its in side B it will always swap back to side A without fail. The problem is going from side A to B and in particular at the point were the tray needs to adjust. If it is stuck you can hear the motor that controls the tray mech spinning on its belt. I've checked and its spinning but not turning the belt but I don't think the problem is with a slipping belt because the same belt controls the loading and ejecting and these work fine. When it sticks if you push the tray mechanism (as in the white plastic slide on the side of the machine) out say 2mm it will bounce back and the side change operates as it should.

I've lubricated everything I can find and have let off the screws the mech runs on as far as I dare without them coming too loose. The side change works 99% of the time with the cover off but when the cover is put back on it fails again. I have currently just set the cover in place not screwed it down and its working. As soon as its screwed in place it fails.

The only thing I haven't lubricated is the laser caddy and I don't really want to disasemble this incase I knock the playback out of alignment.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Post subject: Re: Pioneer CLD-2850 auto side change problem
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2014, 13:54 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

???? I can only offer what I know, I don't know your player.
it could be that rubber pad is slipping and the player won't read that it has to flip the disc.
or the alignment is off, don't really know how to do that but have had that issue in the past.

don't open that caddy up with the laser, shouldn't be the problem if its working 99% of the time.

I would just see if there is also a screw that is too tight, you may have tightened it too tight or it was like that in the past.
or something that got bent in shipping?? or ????

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2014, 14:16 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

What you describe are the classic symptoms of a player that got a dent or a knock in transit.
I remember getting a player that exhibited the exact same characteristics because the chasis got bent due to bad packaging.
It was really fussy about loading discs and would stop playing them if I put the lid on or tightened any screw etc.

You seem to be having a lot of problems with players like this. I'd suggest getting yourself a decent working second hand player and most importantly making sure it is packaged properly. The players last a long time if they are shipped properly and will give you many years of enjoyment.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2014, 13:42 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I have this fixed now.

I was able to manually help it to change sides by pushing on the mech that sides in behind this side of the lid so I slackened off 2 screws at the front left of the player that part of the sliding arm mechanism runs through then had to bend the lid slightly on the left hand side (looking at the player) as when tighted in its original position it seems to almost clamp against the mechanism.

I think its an issue as suggest above with the chassis being slightly twisted. But as I say its working all the time now, the players housed in a dark media unit so you can't see my adjustments.

I'm always on the look out for another player just not willing to pay the stupid eBay prices.

PostPosted: 30 May 2019, 19:50 
Third post and above
Third post and above

You've not fixed it, you've created another point of failure.

The reason it's struggling is the drive belt. Always is, exactly the same issues. They're on ebay or just measure it and buy one a few mm smaller as it'll have stretched with age.

While your in there clean off the old crap grease and adding fresh, Tamiya mineral grease cured it completely.

I know this is an old thread but thought I'd save some9ne else the headache.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2019, 05:59 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I agree with jwhybrow.

You need a new loading belt. They do wear out and that is the usual symptom (gets jammed up on the auto reverse). I would suggest tightening up whatever screws you loosened as that can affect other aspects of the player.

BTW... here is how you change the belt (see ninth post down from the top).

Does it get much better than a CLD-D702?

PEB-1013 is the part number of the belt that you need. Also, SCQ4.3 is another reference number for an aftermarket replacement.

Addendum:

Did not realize this was an extremely old thread. Not sure what the point was to bring it up now as we’ve discussed this to death for the past five+ years and I think most people know about it now.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]