It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 22:32

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: Repairing a CLD-3030
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2014, 18:51 
Hello, I purchased a 3030 for relatively cheap (shipping is killer) but the gear for the disc motor has been stripped and so it just clicks--I need to make this thing work because I am just infatuated with it--any idea of where to get repairs or a service manual I can use?

Post subject: Re: REPAIRING A CLD 3030
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2014, 18:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Is that the gear for the loading motor? I had to replace a gear on the loading for mine, and it wasn't hard. The actual loading motor has a small gear on it as well.

I got the part myself so should be still available.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2015, 17:13 
I am sending it up to Bayview--he said he has the stuff for it and might have a new head for it as well as this one looks like it was jamming into something or they put their cigarette tray too close to it...or incense burner...bong...who knows..theres quite the little melted spot under the hinges there. It was/is a VERY used machine, but I loved that article that ?? wrote on how it was "the best Pioneer LD player ever" and so I thought all things considered why not resurrect it?

My wife and kids don't "get it" why I would want to fix it, but its more or less a labor of love for the old things I never got in my teen/young adult years..LOL...

We'll see what happens and I'll take some pics later on!!

Thanks for YOUR help!! Where did you get that part from however??

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 00:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I would wait a bit, he has... quite a backlog and IMO shouldn't even be thinking about taking on any more players yet...

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 06:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

happycube wrote:
I would wait a bit, he has... quite a backlog and IMO shouldn't even be thinking about taking on any more players yet...

second this^
I'm not sure why he agreed to take on another player...

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 06:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

gumbyandpals wrote:
happycube wrote:

second this^
I'm not sure why he agreed to take on another player...

:wtf: there must be something really wrong, or he won't admit to his situation :think:

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 12:50 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Do we know for sure if ldservice has accepted to take on another player? All I can see is that he is willing to send it up to Bayview for a repair and ldservice replied that he has the parts.

After all, welcome to the forum spaceglider8. :)

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 20:04 
no fixing yet and no sending--just talking. Eventually I hope to get it up that way..maybe get an estimate of what might be wrong and if it's even worth it to pursue..I DO like the machines that have the face that comes down and tray opens--very cool. My deal with Bayview is that they are the only company I have found that even will look at these--I'd love to learn the ropes eventually to work on them myself--looking at taking some big time tech classes in the summer...

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 20:51 
True fan
True fan

spaceglider8 wrote:
no fixing yet and no sending--just talking. Eventually I hope to get it up that way..maybe get an estimate of what might be wrong and if it's even worth it to pursue..I DO like the machines that have the face that comes down and tray opens--very cool. My deal with Bayview is that they are the only company I have found that even will look at these--I'd love to learn the ropes eventually to work on them myself--looking at taking some big time tech classes in the summer...

I would be Happy to look at it and give you a free estimate and check or adjust all Mechanical and Focus-Tracking gains and I can probably set you up on a nice face-plate at no cost if you give me a chance to work with you!!!

Duane, MI

\../

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 18:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

sure does sound like someone attempted a crude lubrication job with lubricant that was corrosive to plastics. i think i could successfully work on this player,
since i completely dismantled and refitted my own 3030 with flying success. still, since Grasshopper actually knows how to make the electronic PB adjustments,
and, evidently, he also has plenty of spares in which to refurbish your 3030 nicely, and, finally, he was the first to offer,
i'm going to strongly second his advice to send your player on to him for work...

Post subject: Re: REPAIRING A CLD 3030  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 02:22 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

i'll third it, always very happy with his work, was happy with Duncan's work if you ever get it back.
hopefully he will be on track soon, but then again that may also never happen.

I've only been waiting a short time so far for ldservice, its only been 7 months so far

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2015, 02:11 
my understanding was that Mr. Duncan (don't know his last name) was moving from Cali to Washington--I would imagine the work has piled up from moving and all--I'm not in a huge hurry to get anything fixed per se--now that I am "hooked" on this LD stuff..(and HD DVD) I might just start collecting some players and more and more discs as I go too..not sure what I want to spend all my Amazon.com seller money on I' ve been making (selling old DVD's we never watch..and I bought a pro-DVD cleaner/repairer so I take old games and such, fix em, and then sell them used with a guarantee...no negative feedback so far..knock on wood...)....

I am trying to figure out from my junked MDP 605 too where the "good" one won't put up a good picture for the LD--it reads my CD's awesome, has no leakage that I can tell from capacitors...need to put that on a post too.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2015, 02:18 
True fan
True fan

HE HAS ALWAYS LIVED IN WA STATE!!!!

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2015, 19:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

spaceglider8 wrote:
my understanding was that Mr. Duncan (don't know his last name)

Hunter. Duncan Hunter. License to Fix...

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2015, 20:46 
True fan
True fan

Tasuke, What mods have you done to your 3030 besides the bottom insulators (Feet)?

Grasshopper_License to post!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2015, 21:03 
I would love to see any mods done to the player(s) as well, what attracted me to purchase the 3030 at first was that it was cheap and had the digital optical out on it--that way I could use it for a CD player as well on the system--the way I have it all set up. I was wondering too if anyone had upgraded a 3030 or the like to AC-3?

Mr. Duane "grasshopper" I sent you a couple PM as well about my 3030, hoping you got those--

Hope everyones having as much fun collecting and so forth with this as I am--I've discovered something that no other electronics nerd can take away from me...happiness is finding a Laserdisc in your neighbors attic...or in their old furniture store where they had set up the 80's equivalent of the man cave with the space shuttle launch in glorious LD and fantastic 2.0...

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2015, 21:11 
True fan
True fan

spaceglider8 wrote:
I would love to see any mods done to the player(s) as well, what attracted me to purchase the 3030 at first was that it was cheap and had the digital optical out on it--that way I could use it for a CD player as well on the system--the way I have it all set up. I was wondering too if anyone had upgraded a 3030 or the like to AC-3?

Mr. Duane "grasshopper" I sent you a couple PM as well about my 3030, hoping you got those--

Hope everyones having as much fun collecting and so forth with this as I am--I've discovered something that no other electronics nerd can take away from me...happiness is finding a Laserdisc in your neighbors attic...or in their old furniture store where they had set up the 80's equivalent of the man cave with the space shuttle launch in glorious LD and fantastic 2.0...

Yes, I have one with AC-RF I have done and I sent you a PM for you to decide what you really want to do since your CO.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2015, 18:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

grasshopper wrote:
Tasuke, What mods have you done to your 3030 besides the bottom insulators (Feet)?

Grasshopper_License to post!! :mrgreen:

nothing truly invasive, just better screws throughout, since i have a TON of PIONEER standard copper-plated screws of all sizes and types
from cannibalized PIONEER gear, and very neatly re-routed and zip-tied up the enormous mess of wiring within.
i had completely stripped the player down to it's base component modules, -when i bought another 3030 for it's healthy transport mechanism-
and had re-assembled one good player from all the best parts available to me, thoroughly lubricating, precisely fitting,
and firmly fixing all components and wiring in place with the best screws i had, and liberal zip-tying.

with all that work done, i have a 3030 that purrs like a kitten, operates flawlessly, and is overall strikingly smooth and quiet in all mechanical operations.
if anyone out there would like to copy my efforts, i recommend the large PIONEER isolating feet from several of their high-end late 80's/early 90's receivers
such as the VSX-9700S, VSX-9900S,VSX-95,VSX-D901S,VSX-D2S,etc. for the 3030's front feet, and your choice of smaller PIONEER chrome-ringed feet
from all manner of their products from 1988/2000+ (VSX-9500S for example has a nice set, front feet of CLD-1080 would also do)
and use FENDER WASHERS from your local hardware store as spacers to even the FRONT/REAR heights out...

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ]