It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:18

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: [CLD-R7G] Side 2 problem - crosstalk?
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2015, 20:44 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I bought a CLD-R7g a few years ago and have had it in storage. I have a few other players so I haven't used it much. I recently took it out of storage and decided to give it a spin so it get some play. When I played a movie this week, I notice that when it flipped to side 2, I was getting some wavy lines at the top of the screen. I tried playing side 2 on side one and it worked fine. Not sure what would cause this. Would appreciate any help. Hopefully not a big fix.
Thank you.

Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 79.65 KiB | Viewed 4274 times ]

Post subject: Re: Pioneer CLD-R7g side 2 problem - crosstalk?
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2015, 20:45 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

another picture

Attachments:
20150301_075202.jpg
20150301_075202.jpg [ 85.73 KiB | Viewed 4273 times ]

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2015, 21:46 
could these issues happen if you don't use your player often?
you have several players at home resting, when not using all of them for long time, would this cause playback problems?

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2015, 21:57 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

not sure.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2015, 22:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It probably needs alignment if side 1 is fine and side 2 isn't. If you have a 'scope and can get the GGV1069 test disk from Pioneer you can use the D604 service manual - not an exact match but close enough to use the instructions.

http://www.lddb.com/_misc/manuals/LD_Players/Pioneer/CLD/CLD-D604/CLD-D604-EN_Service_Manual_Scan.pdf

The R7G's worth sending to krbahr or grasshopper to fix/tune, but if you're inclined you'll get better value by realigning it yourself. All the late CLD's are relatively easy to work on, you don't even have to remove the tray to take care of the crosstalk alignments :thumbup:

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2015, 23:17 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

could be alignment or also laser could be going, its really hard to see what the issue is with your pictures.
does this happen with all discs???
its a great player once setup right, and one of the positives about it is that you can still get parts even from pioneer.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2015, 02:09 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Test disc and scope sound like might be hard to come by, no?
It has done it on 2 CLV discs so far. Have not watched many movies yet. How could I tell if it is laser going? If does not do it on side one only on side 2.
I did play a Jurassic Park CAV disc on side 2 that I bought just looking for laser rot and it did not seem to do it but I only played it for a couple of minutes.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2015, 02:10 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

If you look at the 2 pictures, you will see the wavy lines across the top rein-o.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2015, 02:13 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

That would point towards crosstalk (misalignment based, may or may not require parts) since CAV discs are immune to it, however the patterns in your pictures are really weird. I've never seen crosstalk like that before.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2015, 02:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The R7G has a lot of digital processing going on w/the 3D comb filter and all, that could just be how crosstalk looks through it. Usually enabling test mode turns all NR etc off.

GGV1069 isn't cheap from Pioneer ($52+tax/shipping these days), and scopes vary a lot, but the alternative is mailing the player to someone and back, and then paying for the adjustments on top of that. So it's like buying a fish vs getting fishing gear and learning how to fish - the latter can be cheaper in the long run, but the former can be easier.

... or you can just pretend it's a single-side player ;)

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2015, 03:10 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If the same frame looks the same when you flip the disc and play it as side A then it could be a Frame with the two different fields causing this. Could be the digital processing or the VIZIO. I hate to say it but VIZIO does not excel in processing NTSC signals.

If this is side B only then you don't really need the Pioneer alignment disc since the servo's got adjusted with side A, but it would be best you you find a CAV recorded disc that has differences in three different adjacent frames. Then play the middle one and make sure you don't see any form of the image from the prior and post frames, plus this needs to be on the inner tracks. The test disc does have the perfect frame 115 to do this with, that is the advantage of using it.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2015, 05:08 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

happycube wrote:
The R7G has a lot of digital processing going on w/the 3D comb filter and all, that could just be how crosstalk looks through it. Usually enabling test mode turns all NR etc off.

not at all, this is wrong, you do not see that much digital processing, all others who say this are wrong.
I have owned this player and it is a top notch player, when setup properly you see NO crosstalk on any discs, and i've had discs that do
show crosstalk on other players.

yes its a cheaper build but gives an amazing image and the blacks are incredible.
I've even heard many others say that this is better to their eyes than the LD-S9.

as krbahr says, flip the disc and play side 2 first then side 1, if you still get the same issue on side 2 playing first its the disc.
if not its something else.

good luck with it, contact kurtis or duane/grasshopper they can help.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2015, 06:02 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Happycube wasn't insulting the R7G he was simply saying that if the R7G in question is out of alignment and having crosstalk issues the crosstalk may show up differently on screen from other players due to the extra processing going on in the player. FWIW, whether artifacts show up or not, there is extra digital processing over the 604 on which it's based; that's not up for debate.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2015, 06:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

What gumbyandpals said. :thumbup: My corollary to Clarke's Law - sufficiently good digital processing can be indistinguishable from good (i.e. expensive) analog, and able to do things analog processing can't reasonably do at all. (The last-generation digital TBC is a good example of transparent digital processing)

The R7G's digital processing is very good - severe crosstalk due to player misalignment isn't something it needs to be designed to handle at all - unlike rot, which IIRC you said it does handle well. I wish it was in some US models - then I could afford one :mrgreen:

In general I like the later players - they track nicely and are a lot simpler to work on.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2015, 12:07 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

krbahr wrote:
If the same frame looks the same when you flip the disc and play it as side A then it could be a Frame with the two different fields causing this. Could be the digital processing or the VIZIO. I hate to say it but VIZIO does not excel in processing NTSC signals.

I have tried playing side 2 as side one and it worked fine. The weird part is when it flipped to side 2 (being side 1) seem to play fine for the start anyway.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2015, 22:54 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If it starts playing side B fine and then gets worse, some of the problem could be the side B centering to the spindle motor. With the top off play a LD. At the beginning track, push the top off the metal mechanical assembly to the left and then to the right. Should move three same distance before the picture breaks if adjusted correctly.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2015, 23:28 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

don't know what type of setups you all have but crosstalk is crosstalk, looks the same on my CRT, my LED television and my DLP projector.
the R7G gets slammed too much by people who have never even seen one other than pictures on nicolas' site.

those waves that I can kind of see on your fuzzy pictures does not look like any crosstalk I've ever seen in the past 24 years.

good luck getting it back and playing, its a great player and crosstalk looks like below more than wavy ocean lines.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015, 00:32 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

The wavy lines started pretty soon after the start of autoflip to side b. The picture was fine at times but the wavy type lines came and went. I also noticed a few other picture issues that are hard to explain. Like I said though, when I played side 2 as 1, it was fine. When I played another CLV disc of Young Guns, there were wavy lines towards the middle of the disc and sometimes it bounced back a few frames.

krbahr wrote:
If it starts playing side B fine and then gets worse, some of the problem could be the side B centering to the spindle motor. With the top off play a LD. At the beginning track, push the top off the metal mechanical assembly to the left and then to the right. Should move three same distance before the picture breaks if adjusted correctly.

What do you mean by pushing the top of the metal assembly left and right? If I move things while disc is playing, it will not harm anything? Thank you for the help.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015, 00:37 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

rein-o'
I would like to get to the bottom of this because I really do like the player. Just would like to get it fixed. Not sure what is going on. Can a player get off track just by sitting around for a few years?
The player is just temporarily hooked into a bedroom LCD for the moment. I just wanted to get it some playing time. Eventually when I move, I would like to have it as one of my main players in the living room.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015, 01:11 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

not that I have ever seen, my father had his 3070 sitting unused for about 8 years and it was fine with a little help from grasshopper.
it wasn't staying open with the tray but needed other stuff but nothing with tracking etc.

so I really don't know what could have happened unless it was dropped or hit somehow??
even then these players were and can be shipped without issues.

I don't know if I would be moving any metal bars inside once the top is off, kurtis may be saying something else that we didn't catch???

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next