It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:51

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: CLD-59 chapter search issue, how to fix?
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2015, 01:21 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

This particular player now works but seems to need side A alignment, I too would love to know what to get and how to do a pro style alignment?

Post subject: Re: CLD-59 chapter search issue, how to fix?
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2015, 01:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

pbiancardi wrote:
This particular player now works but seems to need side A alignment, I too would love to know what to get and how to do a pro style alignment?

It takes a lot of practice to get the alignment right and to know what to look for. There's a reason that there are so few people qualified to do it well. I got sick of shipping players half way across the country, so I dove in and determined to teach myself. I am by no means an expert and everything I say should be taken with the disclaimer "do this at your own risk." If you live close to krbahr (VA) or grasshopper (MI) they both do good work and it can be worth just letting them do the work.

I started with a CLD-3080 (which I was told is not the easiest to start with) that came to me damaged in the mail. I didn't really have anything to lose at that point. I would recommend using a low value player to practice on. I then moved on to a Panasonic LX-900U. That's all I have done so far. I was able to do it with the following equipment:

Service Manual for the player
Oscilloscope w/ probes
Audio frequency oscillator
Frequency counter
GGV1069 Test Disc
Audio CD
Screwdrivers
Homemade "eccentric screwdriver"
An LD of Coneheads which I found to be sensitive to proper spindle motor centering.

I then followed the procedures in the manual. Getting familiar with multiple models' service manuals is recommended because the amount of detail they go into for instruction varies from manual to manual. They assume you already kind of know what you're doing.

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2