It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:13

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: CLD-D702 Drive Belt
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2016, 17:39 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I received my CLD-D702 from Goodwill, and I went through the motions of getting it running. It was mostly functional when I got it, so I did a maintenance re-lubricating of the drive rails, a good dusting of the internals, and a check of the capacitors since the early 90s was a time of very bad capacitors being made (leaking being the worst issue). It flips sides eloquently (got the pleasure of seeing the mechanism in motion...really cool in my opinion), and plays beautifully once I cleaned the laser of dust and debris....but it has an issue with the door on the front which slowly opens or doesn't open. It's the drive belt that's the problem (it's slipping like mad), I cleaned the belt with alcohol, and the pullies as well, it works better but not to what I desire.

Since the belt is likely 23 years old, and likely in storage for a good portion of that 23 years, it is likely to assume the belt has just memorized it's shape on the pully, making it harder for the mechanism to work and putting more strain on the motor. So my options are to buy a new belt. Where can I acquire this belt? The only belt on Ebay is listed as only working for these models; CLD-53/79/99/D406/D502/D503/D504/D505/V870. Would this belt work for my 702? The 702 is from the same year as the 502, so the belts can't be THAT different.

Post subject: Re: CLD-D702 Drive Belt
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2016, 18:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Not too familiar with the 702, but if it's the loading belt you're talking about, Pioneer still sells it: http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/mod ... um=CLDD702

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2016, 18:35 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

After snooping around the link you provided, it is the same belt since the models listed on the ebay page match up on pioneer.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2016, 00:59 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The belt for the 702 is a different size than what is used in the players listed in eBay, the D502 listed on the eBay add is an error. D702 and D502 use a PEB1013 (SCQ4.3 is supposed to be the generic equivalent) where the other players use a VEB1184 (SCQ4.0 is supposed to be the generic equivalent). With that said I've found the SCQ4.0 to be slightly larger than the VEB1184 and I recommend the Pioneer belt as it is between the SCQ4.0 and SCQ3.5. So is the SCQ4.3 truly a PEB1013, I cannot answer that.

I'd recommend Buying the Pioneer belt.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2016, 19:51 
True fan
True fan

Wow, can you share how you fixed up your 702? I'd love pointers on servicing mine! Everything works but the side flip and I once had to tweak the Rf level for on discs digital audio track, and it drops out playing DTS.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2016, 23:21 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If you had to turn up your RF LEVEL then either the lens is dirty or the laser is starting to age. Side B flip is commonly a lubrication issue, either the top rail is dirty or not enough lubrication to side easily onto the top rail

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2016, 23:59 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

sdraper wrote:
Wow, can you share how you fixed up your 702? I'd love pointers on servicing mine! Everything works but the side flip and I once had to tweak the Rf level for on discs digital audio track, and it drops out playing DTS.

I use white lithium grease to lube up rails. Careful about using it on gears since the stuff depending on what it's made of can damage plastics. I think the gears in anything like a Laserdisc player (CD player, DVD player, Video Game optical drives, even floppy drives. Restored an Apple II floppy drive with the stuff) are usually nylon and resilient, it is worth mentioning. Do not use the spray, use the tube for less messy application.

As for components, use a multi-meter, get one that can measure capacitance, to test capacitors. Most of the ideal players were made in the 90s, and that is when they made some bad caps aside from a few brands. Also it never hurts to check the caps for leaks as well. Leaking/Dead caps can cause a bad playback experience on Laserdiscs. Muffled audio, bad picture, etc. If you find one, replace it. If you can't solder, have someone help you.

I didn't have issues with the side flip, greased up the rails anyway, as a preventative measure.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2021, 20:22 
Third post and above
Third post and above

krbahr wrote:
The belt for the 702 is a different size than what is used in the players listed in eBay, the D502 listed on the eBay add is an error. D702 and D502 use a PEB1013 (SCQ4.3 is supposed to be the generic equivalent) where the other players use a VEB1184 (SCQ4.0 is supposed to be the generic equivalent). With that said I've found the SCQ4.0 to be slightly larger than the VEB1184 and I recommend the Pioneer belt as it is between the SCQ4.0 and SCQ3.5. So is the SCQ4.3 truly a PEB1013, I cannot answer that.

I found one seller (marvac_2001) on eBay with a lot of choices, one being SCQ3.8. Every one of these belts has a stretch factor, with 10% not being that uncommon. It would be cool if a forum member with mechanical engineering experience could comment on materials and design guidelines.

Durabelt has an interesting set of calculators for belt sizing. I use these to get to the right ballpark. The use of pulley diameters is helpful if you can measure the inside diameter, but this can be tricky to do in the confined spaces inside an LD machine.

https://www.durabelt.com/beltlengthcalculator.php

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2021, 21:20 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

arcturus wrote:
I found one seller (marvac_2001) on eBay with a lot of choices,

:clap: Thanks for posting this, I know I have in the past but was too lazy to search, I need a new belt on my DVD player, the one
I bought worked for about a year but stretched out, I kept the size and made notes but forgot about the seller.
So I'll be picking up another belt in the correct size sooner now :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2021, 00:15 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

arcturus wrote:
I found one seller (marvac_2001) on eBay with a lot of choices

That is the eBay account for https://marvac.com/

+1 They are my go to for belts!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]