It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 06:52

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Grasshopper (Duane) saved my CLD-D702!
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2016, 09:26 
Third post and above
Third post and above

So last fall a friend of mine asked if he could dub a few commercial laserdiscs he got from ebay. I hadn't powered my Pioneer CLD-D702 in months but what the hell, it worked the last time. Imagine my surprise when the disc would spin, spin... and then shut down abruptly. No playback.

So it's off to the intarwebs! I've had an account here for over a decade but never actually engaged this message board. I was sure that I'd be guided in the right direction. Thankfully the kind souls here steered me away from the hellish link that came up first in my googley searches and in the immediate direction of Duane, who has the technical expertise of a Ph.D. and the patience of a schoolteacher.

It took a week to ship the device from my home here in Hawaii. However, Duane had the problem diagnosed in less than 24 hours after receiving the package. (A busted "spindle motor" which I could never have figured out in eleventy-thousand years.) In about a week he had the device repaired, tested, and shipped back to me via Fedex.

I suppose I could have gone out into the online wilderness and sought out a similar Pioneer deck for roughly the same price I shelled out. But I've had this baby since 1993 (from Abe's of Maine!) and I really didn't want to start all over again with "new" hardware. I just played a few old discs and the thing operates smoothly and with nary a sound whirring in the background. Good thing, since there are a LOT of LD titles out there that never made it to DVD, much less Blu-ray.

My laserdisc collection has a new lease on life, thanks to Duane! He's the real deal!

Post subject: Re: Grasshopper (Duane) saved my CLD-D702!
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2016, 13:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The route you went at least you know its done right, if you went and bought another who knows what problems it would have. Plus you know its now aligned and working properly.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]