It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:18

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Orange Display CLD-D703 & CLD-D704
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2019, 01:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

In one of my "frankenstein" projects, I put the front panel assembly from a CLD-D703 player into a stripped down Japanese player. This is the same "orange" display that Pioneer used in all of the US based players. The funny part is, when I put it in the Japanese player, with the Japanese power supply, the display switched from the ugly orange display to the multi-color Japanese format.

I haven't done any deep diagnosis yet, but I'm wondering, the only thing different between this frankenstein player and a CLD-D703 is the power supply. The main board and video board are from a CLD-D704. Has anyone ever figured out what triggers the display to be orange versus multi-color?

Post subject: Re: Orange Display CLD-D703 & CLD-D704
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2019, 01:46 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

So you just moved the board only? Not the complete facade?

If so, I think the glass covering in the facade is what gives the orange color. The Japanese models seem to have a different color on their units.

Last edited by ldfan on 27 Feb 2019, 06:47, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2019, 05:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

You are absolutely correct! It's the lens. I had never picked up on that. The facade I used in my frankenstein player is from the CLD-05, which is a Japanese player. Thanks so much for the assistance!

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2019, 08:55 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Not a problem. Wasn't sure what to call it but I guess it's like an inlay filter behind the facade glass.

In any case, I must admit that I like the orange (amber) look of the US Pioneer players. I have a Mitsubishi HS-U80, S-VHS deck and its record level indicators are the same color combination (orange and red) and it's a nice match to my Pioneer players.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2019, 17:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

the FLD windows, in nearly all CE products from the onset of the 80's through today, are an acrylic plastic transparency, not Glass.

to the best of my knowledge, McIntosh Laboratory was the only CE firm that ever used actual glass in the front fascia of their components.

it was something McIntosh eventually tried to get away from,
-due to the fragility of the very thin glass fascia, and thee difficulty in tooling it-
but their loyal customer/fanbase would have none of that,
and so McIntosh products have sported full glass front panel fascia to this day.

also, PIONEER, like pretty much every other CE firm out there,
uses transparent shading sheets between the FLD tubes and their outer acrylic windows.

PIONEER, for their JAPAN and WORLD market products, stuck by a neutral dark sheet
that let the FLD's natural BLUE/RED indicators shine through, much as SONY and most other Japanese CE firms did.

for whatever reason, from about 1987 through around 2002, PIONEER specified dark red shading sheets
for their U.S. market products. a dark red hue that rendered the FLD's natural BLUE/RED as a YELLOW ORANGE/NATURAL ORANGE...

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2019, 20:23 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

AKA Gel.
I was going to have Grasshopper change out the gel on a 2070 that I'm getting from him but decided not to bother.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2019, 22:28 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah. Space Invaders Deluxe did the same thing. It was a color game on a b/w monitor. They were able to colorize with a gel because most stuff stays put in Space Invaders.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2019, 23:50 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yes, Space Invaders was a B&W monitor with strips of sticker color, they had a few different versions for that game but that was one of them.

Had a few B&W monitors that had sticker strips across the monitor, bad is that you can't really get it off without a razor, good is that its B&W and only
used for a handful of games.

The one machine I remember having didn't have the board or button panel so I gutted it and used it for a kit.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2019, 02:02 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

In Japan the lens is a 2 piece. A smoked plastic window with a filter sheet between the plastic window and the FDT. It masks the non-lit areas better than just plain clear plastic. The US players have a one-piece red filter plastic window that turns all light the various shades of orange.

For me, I liked the look of the Japanese players better. I really felt ripped off on the CLD-3030 when the Japanese variant (CLD-99S) had the cool multi-color display. Same is true for the Japanese version of the LD-W1.

For a player that I've "frankensteined" together, I've taken the guts of the CLD-07G, added the audio board of the CLD-D704 and replaced the display lens with that from the 07G to come up with a "CLD-D704G". LD-G and AC3 playback in the same player. I sure wish they had included LD-G in the HLD-X9...

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]