It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:30

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: CLD-R7G VS DVL
PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 14:22 
True fan
True fan

Hey peeps! I know the CLD-R7G is more or less a DVL-player without DVD and the latest features of ld playback.. the DVL is nice, but it does have a noisy picture compared to higher end models, how does the r7g compare to dvl when it comes to noise?

Post subject: Re: CLD-R7G VS DVL
PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 15:21 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

The R7G has a pretty noisy picture (up there with the D600 series.) That's why it's never really useful to go with the composite over the S-Video on that player as it is unlikely that any comb filter will clean up the picture better than the internal NEC #7 3D comb filter (which is a damn good filter.)

However, I would pick the R7G over all the DVL series, save for one--the Japan only DVL-H9. The H9 has the same NEC #7 filter as the R7G but with a slightly less noisy picture (from what I've read.)

PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 15:26 
True fan
True fan

PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 16:01 
True fan
True fan

elahrairrah wrote:
The R7G has a pretty noisy picture (up there with the D600 series.) That's why it's never really useful to go with the composite over the S-Video on that player as it is unlikely that any comb filter will clean up the picture better than the internal NEC #7 3D comb filter (which is a damn good filter.)

However, I would pick the R7G over all the DVL series, save for one--the Japan only DVL-H9. The H9 has the same NEC #7 filter as the R7G but with a slightly less noisy picture (from what I've read.)

the comb filter isn't a problem though, i use the crystalio ii, it should be the r7g, the h9 probably cost a lot in shipping, the r7g is extremely light. my plan is to get an extra
hld-x9, but in the meanwhile saving up for another one, i'd like to have an extra player, just in case the x9 would get issues :)

PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 17:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

cpix wrote:
elahrairrah wrote:

the comb filter isn't a problem though, i use the crystalio ii, it should be the r7g, the h9 probably cost a lot in shipping, the r7g is extremely light. my plan is to get an extra
hld-x9, but in the meanwhile saving up for another one, i'd like to have an extra player, just in case the x9 would get issues :)

Owning both the R7G and the H9 I agree with elahrairrah completely on that point, the H9 is quite a bit less noisy and overall much more comparable to the X9 - but with the qualifier that is via the s-video. Keep in mind the issue of the recombined composite output with these players, the H9 suffered a considerable drop in sharpness and clarity in my system via the composite output compared to the s-video. The X9 on the other hand did not. I never compared the R7G composite, but the same was true of the S9 and I suspect the R7G would be no different.

On the basis of the weight and shipping/purchase costs I agree it makes a good backup player but I would suspect even with the CII the s-video output would definitely be the way to go (unless you have crappy s-video cables). I too am holding out for a reasonably priced second X9 to try to 'future-proof' myself.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]