It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:56

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: CLD-D99 repair advice please :(
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2016, 14:10 
Hi,

So sorry if this is rude being my first post and all. I've always had an account on lddb but never really posted in the forums. I recently acquired a CLD-D99 in absolute mint condition - but it seems inter-state transport has not done well for the old girl. When playing a disc the player has trouble getting past the very first chapter.. it will play about a minutes worth of video then it will start either skipping, or just losing track moving forwards on the seconds counter rapidly. If I skip forward chapters it cannot find where it needs to be and just skips back.

I'm pretty good at electronics but have no idea about servicing LDP's (yet) I hope I can get it working, even the insides look brand spanking new, no dust, absolutely surgically clean.
Could anyone please just post the top things for me to look for in servicing this player?

Thanks SO much for any information (I have had a search around but I haven't found much info related to this model)

Post subject: Re: CLD-D99 repair advice please :(
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2016, 01:29 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Need to check if it plays a CD. If not the spindle centering is out of adjustment. If these get dropped sideways then it can break the spindle motor centering tab and the mechanical assembly needs to be rebuilt with a new bottom guide plate. Also just try cleaning the laser lens carefully.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2016, 10:43 
Okay it won't play a CD - it just makes a slow whirring noise then I get 'U1' error and it spits it back out. Do you know of any decent guides already written somewhere that I can follow? Thanks

edit: I found this guide - do you think it's a good guide for my issues? Thx
http://www.pcrpg.org/main.php?action=vi ... -u1-repair

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2016, 05:32 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The problem is one where the mechanical assembly does not fully lift up and the unit will not even spin the disc to try to play it which is different from your description of it plays but cannot skip chapters. Take the top off and see if the CD spins but never starts playing.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2016, 10:23 
Edit: I noticed the laser assembly gets stuck when lifting up on the CD tray plastic, then sometimes it 'snaps' up and through though. It comes up with a U1 error when trying to read the CD.

Edit2: I released the top clamp and put it back on which slightly re-aligned it. Now when the assembly rises up and 'snaps' past the plastic, it plays.. but then it skips just like the laserdisc does. lol, getting somewhere.

Edit3: I got a P0 code after a while trying to play the laserdisc.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2016, 14:35 
Here is a little video I made about something I noticed:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6vqg ... khzelB5NEU

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2016, 03:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

As soon as I saw you lift up on the right hand side you verified the spindle motor centering tab has been broke off. So it was either broke in shipment due to poor packaging and handling or an owner of this dropped it hard on the side. Other cause is someone tries to center and turns the adjusting tab too far and it takes some work to get it back. Send me an Email to kbahr@comcast.net and I can send a picture showing the location.
You'll have to order a new base plate and then tear the unit mechanical assembly down to replace it.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2016, 12:06 
Here's another vid where I opened up the back and found a little black spindle thingy floating around & something interesting I think is unhooked inside.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6vqg ... 1pRWWcyTVk

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]