It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:32

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-D406] Loading problem
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 15:03 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I have a Pioneer CDL-D406 recently given to me by a friend. It works in every respect, but it has a loading problem.

When I insert a disc, the lens mechanism buzzes, but doesn't move into place. However, if I tilt the player about 30 degrees counterclockwise when loading the disc, the lens doesn't jam and I can then lower the player to a level position and the LD plays fine.

Taking off the cover repeals no wear or obstructions.

Any thoughts what I could do to to diagnose of fix this?

Post subject: Re: loading problem
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 17:59 
True fan
True fan

Probably loading belt slipping. It is located towards the front of the player on the left.You can take it off and clean it with alcohol or even water then dry it and put it back, if that doesn't work the belt is too worn and needs replacing.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 18:41 
Third post and above
Third post and above

sjoerg wrote:
Probably loading belt slipping. It is located towards the front of the player on the left.You can take it off and clean it with alcohol or even water then dry it and put it back, if that doesn't work the belt is too worn and needs replacing.

From what I read, the belt controls the LD and CD tray ejection and retraction, which works fine. It's the lens assembly that doesn't move into place after the LD is in place. Does this single belt control both?

Would changing the lens alignment have any effect on the mechanism's movement?

I really appreciate the suggestions. Even if it's not the belt, perhaps just the action of replacement will free it up, so I'll order it.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 20:43 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I can't envision what's happening here. In the LD player loading cycle, the optical pickup assembly doesn't "move into place". The tray retracts into the player, then moves downward to leave the disc supported by the spindle, while the upper clamp moves downward to hold the disc in place. Then the focus servo on the optical pickup attempts to detect a disc (the lens itself moves up & down to find the focus, while the pickup as a whole stays in place). If a disc is detected, only then does the pickup move inward if a CD is loaded, while the motor spins up so that the Table of Contents can be read out. Raising the right-hand side (as seen from the front) of the player might possibly help with a balky loading operation, but it wouldn't affect the optical pickup at all.

Get a Pioneer VEB1184 belt, or a generic SCQ3.6 belt. Remove the old belt, clean the pulleys with alcohol, put the new belt on. That solves most problems right there. While you're at it, use alcohol to clean the rubber mat on the disc turntable, which solves most of the rest.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017, 00:46 
True fan
True fan

On this model The loading belt moves the entire mechanism which includes the pickup and spindle motor upwards to the disc, when you described
the laser "buzzing" the only explanation I can think of is the belt slipping against the loading motor, the mech becomes too heavy and will not lift up, hence the laser not moving into place.

Another sure sign this is the problem is that tilting the player makes it work, I just repaired a 504 clone player with the same problem as yours, it would play only when turned on its side. In addition to changing the belt I had to take the mechanism apart and clean it out, only because there were food crumbs inside the player causing friction. Hopefully in your case the player is clean and it's just the belt, which is the fix in most cases.

I really think that is your problem, the only other thing would be the plastic m-holder that is attached to to the pickup. If it cracked it can effect the movement of the pickup.

Look at the belt first, then check the m holder/

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017, 02:42 
Third post and above
Third post and above

sjoerg wrote:
On this model The loading belt moves the entire mechanism which includes the pickup and spindle motor upwards to the disc, when you described
the laser "buzzing" the only explanation I can think of is the belt slipping against the loading motor, the mech becomes too heavy and will not lift up, hence the laser not moving into place.

Another sure sign this is the problem is that tilting the player makes it work, I just repaired a 504 clone player with the same problem as yours, it would play only when turned on its side. In addition to changing the belt I had to take the mechanism apart and clean it out, only because there were food crumbs inside the player causing friction. Hopefully in your case the player is clean and it's just the belt, which is the fix in most cases.

I really think that is your problem, the only other thing would be the plastic m-holder that is attached to to the pickup. If it cracked it can effect the movement of the pickup.

Look at the belt first, then check the m holder/

I'll look at the belt. If it's slipping, then rotating the wheel by hand should move the mechanism into place.

In either case, you're giving me the nerve to try disassembling it. Thanks.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017, 19:47 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

This is a super common issue. If it’s struggling, and it If it’s a player you aren’t too concerned about, when you hear the “struggle” you can give it the old Fonzerelli right around the area of the upper right corner of the control panel. Don’t hit it too hard, but don’t be a wimpy nerd either. If it wakes up and mounts the disc then you know it’s the belt problem.

Usually this issue shows up on LDs before CDs because of the huge weight difference. Same trick works on most CLD Dual Side Pioneers.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]