LaserDisc Database
https://forum.lddb.com/

[CLD-950] Player does not read disc on first insert
https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=8131
Page 1 of 1

Author:  takeshi666 [ 21 Nov 2018, 09:20 ]
Post subject:  [CLD-950] Player does not read disc on first insert

My CLD-950 has developed a weird problem where it doesn't read the disc on first insert after powering up, instead making a winding down buzzing noise for a few seconds before spitting the disc out. It'll read the disc fine if I just close the tray again however, and on subsequent replacements. It also reads the disc fine if I power up the player with a disc already inside.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

EDIT: Of course as I try to determine exactly which circumstances it does and doesn't do it, it suddenly stops doing it.

Author:  sethp3d [ 21 Nov 2018, 11:04 ]
Post subject:  Re: Player does not read disc on first insert

takeshi666 wrote:
My CLD-950 has developed a weird problem where it doesn't read the disc on first insert after powering up, instead making a winding down buzzing noise for a few seconds before spitting the disc out. It'll read the disc fine if I just close the tray again however, and on subsequent replacements. It also reads the disc fine if I power up the player with a disc already inside.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

EDIT: Of course as I try to determine exactly which circumstances it does and doesn't do it, it suddenly stops doing it.


Mine does a similar thing, I'm guessing its the tray loading belt that needs to be changed.

Author:  rein-o [ 21 Nov 2018, 16:13 ]
Post subject:  Re: Player does not read disc on first insert

There is an issue but I can't remember.
I believe there is a switch that is bad?? Grasshopper told me but I can't remember as a 503 I own does the same.

Author:  ldfan [ 21 Nov 2018, 18:54 ]
Post subject:  Re: Player does not read disc on first insert

Loading belt

Author:  rein-o [ 21 Nov 2018, 20:12 ]
Post subject:  Re: Player does not read disc on first insert

ldfan wrote:
Loading belt

Thank you, that too.
Mine goes in then I hear it reading then kicks it out, I close again and it plays fine.
So my issue could be belt and or slipping pad as I hear it sort of slip.

Author:  sethp3d [ 22 Nov 2018, 11:53 ]
Post subject:  Re: Player does not read disc on first insert

I've been trying to find out the part number of the loading belt for the 950 is it a generic part for all CLD-players?

Author:  ldfan [ 22 Nov 2018, 21:17 ]
Post subject:  Re: Player does not read disc on first insert

The 950 should be the same as any of the ā€œSā€ series models in the US.

eBay appears to have one available....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-CD-Pla ... Swal5YH-x-

Author:  blam1 [ 23 Nov 2018, 04:44 ]
Post subject:  Re: Player does not read disc on first insert

This is the same belt that Pioneer used on most of their later CLD series players and all of their DVL and DVK players. VEB1184 is the pioneer part.

If the belt on ebay is truly a 4.0, it's going to be too large. I use 3.5 belts, although I've seen some use a 3.6 belt. I would be worried a 4.0 belt is going to slip.

Author:  ldfan [ 23 Nov 2018, 06:09 ]
Post subject:  Re: Player does not read disc on first insert

After doing some research, it appears you are correct that the belt is the VEB-1184 for the CLD-950. I thought it could have been different since this model is a single side player.

Appears one can get one at this place....

http://www.pacparts.com/model.cfm?mfg=P ... uto&back=0

Author:  sethp3d [ 23 Nov 2018, 09:25 ]
Post subject:  Re: Player does not read disc on first insert

ldfan wrote:
After doing some research, it appears you are correct that the belt is the VEB-1184 for the CLD-950. I thought it could have been different since this model is a single side player.

Appears one can get one at this place....

http://www.pacparts.com/model.cfm?mfg=P ... uto&back=0



Thanks! I have a spare one from my 925 that I can try out on my 950 :)

Author:  takeshi666 [ 20 Dec 2018, 20:18 ]
Post subject:  Re: Player does not read disc on first insert

Sure took me long enough, but I finally got a replacement belt coming. The CLD-950 isn't the only thing that's falling apart in my home.

I should probably ask if anybody knows where the belt is actually supposed to go next. :oops:

Author:  ldfan [ 21 Dec 2018, 03:11 ]
Post subject:  Re: Player does not read disc on first insert

takeshi666 wrote:
I should probably ask if anybody knows where the belt is actually supposed to go next. :oops:


In most cases, the belt is located close to the front of the player on the left side (looking from the front of the unit). To reach it you will just need to take to cover off and retract the tray. I would recommend cleaning the plastic pulleys with alcohol just before installing the new belt to remove any possible oils.

Author:  jseach [ 21 Dec 2018, 15:05 ]
Post subject:  Re: Player does not read disc on first insert

I just replaced the loading belt on my D704 with a 3.6 square one. Much thanks to Peter B. for pointing me in the right direction. Works perfectly. In my case, the loading belt is on the right hand-side when looking at the front and the tray needs to be ejected to see it. Easy to replace.

Author:  laserpaal [ 02 Jan 2019, 20:34 ]
Post subject:  Re: Player does not read disc on first insert

blam1 wrote:
This is the same belt that Pioneer used on most of their later CLD series players and all of their DVL and DVK players. VEB1184 is the pioneer part.

If the belt on ebay is truly a 4.0, it's going to be too large. I use 3.5 belts, although I've seen some use a 3.6 belt. I would be worried a 4.0 belt is going to slip.


Kurtis Bahr mentions 3.6 belt as the replacement belt.

Author:  takeshi666 [ 04 Jan 2019, 00:54 ]
Post subject:  Re: Player does not read disc on first insert

Well I got home from the holidays, the replacement belt had arrived, I couldn't wait so I replaced it immediately. Had a bit of a panic since replacing the belt had no immediate effect but after putting the cover back and the player back to it's slot in the shelf, I haven't encountered any issues as of yet.

I think my player is just incredibly sensitive to being moved because the tray tends to jam but only after I've moved the player as well.

Author:  takeshi666 [ 25 Aug 2019, 07:40 ]
Post subject:  Re: [CLD-950] Player does not read disc on first insert

Well it seems that this issue has reared it's head again and considering I just replaced the belt earlier in the year...well, it's possible the belt I got wasn't all that good either, but that's kind of unlikely isn't it?

Author:  takeshi666 [ 07 Nov 2019, 19:26 ]
Post subject:  Re: [CLD-950] Player does not read disc on first insert

Last night I had a slightly different thing happen; I inserted the disc and it seemed to load up, but as soon as I pressed play, the problem manifested again. Buzzing noise, then eject.

Think I should replace the other belt as well? And if so, is it the same type or a different belt?

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/