It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:41

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: [CLD-97] service technician in the FL panhandle area?
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2019, 18:09 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

long shot, but I figured I'd ask the question. Is there anyone here that can provide standard service on a CLD-97 in the Florida panhandle area? Shipping cost is soul-crushingly high and risky. Basically, it plays discs and video quality is ok, but most disks have scratchy/clipped audio. I'm sure this thing has never been serviced, so I figure a tune-up on an oscilloscope will probably fix it up.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-97] service technician in the FL panhandle area?
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2019, 19:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Same Schweaty from PCEFX (rip)?

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2019, 20:00 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

gypsy wrote:
Same Schweaty from PCEFX (rip)?

Yep! Pouring one out on the curb for my favorite forum. Here's to better times.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2019, 20:36 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Regarding the audio, does this happen with both Digital and Analog sound discs? Have you tried flipping between the two while playing it? Also, are you using digital or analog outs when you experience this? What is your overall LD experience level? It helps to establish this when diagnosing things. Do you have other players to verify the quality of the discs? Does the issue happen more on side B than Side A?

Usually the video suffers in some way before the sound does unless it’s an audio hardware issue. If you haven’t spent 10,000 hours watching LDs though the video faults may be too hard to see.

What’s the history of your discs? Are they from different places over the years or did you get everything you have at once?

I’m just trying to eliminate the possibility that every disc you have is defective. That actually happens if the entire collection came from the same swap shed or open roofed storage RV.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2019, 20:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Regarding the audio, does this happen with both Digital and Analog sound discs? Have you tried flipping between the two while playing it? Also, are you using digital or analog outs when you experience this? What is your overall LD experience level? It helps to establish this when diagnosing things. Do you have other players to verify the quality of the discs? Does the issue happen more on side B than Side A?

Usually the video suffers in some way before the sound does unless it’s an audio hardware issue. If you haven’t spent 10,000 hours watching LDs though the video faults may be too hard to see.

What’s the history of your discs? Are they from different places over the years or did you get everything you have at once?

I’m just trying to eliminate the possibility that every disc you have is defective. That actually happens if the entire collection came from the same swap shed or open roofed storage RV.

I feel like having more than one good, working LD player is a must. That way you can make sure any given issue is disc related.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2019, 21:03 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Oh totally.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2019, 21:11 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

signofzeta wrote:

Ill do my best to give you the information you need. The audio clipping comes over both the digital and analog outputs simultaneously (I have both connected). Most of the time the audio issues are worse on side A than B. I have a second player and can confirm it's not always the discs causing the problem. I have about 400 LDs that have come from all over. The video picture isnt perfect either. Most of the time it looks like there is some "wavy water" over the pic. Not bad but not perfect. I almost want to say it plays older discs better than newer discs.

I'm no slouch when it comes to electronics repair and modification, but I dont have an oscilloscope or a pioneer tuning disc. I printed out the factory service manual and those 2 things appear to be pretty essential.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2019, 21:34 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Ok, yeah, that’s probably an alignment. :)

Still, the Digital and Analog sound tracks are recorded in a completely different way so the audio issues should sound different. Usually Digital messes up in a way much like CD, cutting out or maybe with some static, but mostly like how CD or digital cable sound when it’s bad. The analog should have a more successful time of getting through without interuption but it will sound scratchy or muffled.

I’m pretty sure the 97 just has duplicate line outs, not one hard wired for Digital and one for Analog although some players are like that. You’re hearing just Digital, I’m guessing. You need to hit the Audio/Digital button on the remote.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2019, 21:39 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

signofzeta wrote:
You need to hit the Audio/Digital button on the remote.

I wasnt aware of this. I'll check it out when I get home and report back

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2019, 23:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I could help you with a cheap scope but I have no idea on that tuning disc.

And yeah Zeta is right you have to change the audio mode/channels with a button press.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2019, 00:00 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

You can wing it by adjusting stuff without any discs etc. But its best to do it with the disc.

Another thing is that you need to find out the real issue before you start tweeking stuff and possibly make matters worse.
If its wavy it sounds like possible crosstalk but it could also be something like the cables.

Is this something that just stated or has this been going on since you've owned the player??

And I'm not experienced enough, but could this be a laser issue?? I think the 97 has a good laser but not 100% certain.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2019, 00:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Sounds like laser is getting weak, play analog only (as stated above) press remote to switch to analog track, if it sounds ok weak laser confirmed and you can turn up the RF slightly until it clears up.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2019, 02:59 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

When he says “wavy water” to me that sounds like the herringbone pattern usually associated with the crosstalk that comes from misalignment which, if it’s bad enough, could cause Digital Audio issues.

SO! We must then ask him, what do CAV discs look like? Do they look and sound better? If so, alignment.

One thing I don’t know because I don’t have a 97 is if they have M Holder failures. That’s a huge part of later decks developing this issue, such as CLD-604. My assumption is that the 97 isn’t like this but I don’t know for sure. You can’t align broken parts. It’s important to make sure the misalignment isn’t just a symptom of another problem.

This is a deck worth investing in to keep going if there ever was one.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2019, 03:23 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

When my laser was dying in my R7G there were no wavy lines, it was a bar going across.

And wavy to me also sounds like crosstalk.
As Zeta is saying, we need to find out the true real issue before someone tweeks a player too hard.
Sorry to bring it up but Forper comes to mind, he did some adjustments too much too soon and broke a player.

And so far we do not have any tech posting in this topic or in the Fl area.
So all repairs are done at your own risk.
Good luck with that 97, they are valuable in working condition but paperweights when broken.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2019, 04:55 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I'm home now and have some news to report. Switching from digital to analog audio made a huge difference. Analog actually sounds pretty good. Switching back to digital sounds aweful. In my defense, how was I supposed to know what the D/A/CX button did?

Additionally, CAV and CX discs sound pretty great on digital audio. Is it just CLV discs having digital audio issues?

I also Google searched some images of crosstalk. I beleive that's the "wavy water" I described earlier. It's not really constant, but theres enough that it drives me nuts.

Lastly, I have a little confession to make: it's not exactly a CLD-97. It's actually MLD-7020. That's the main reason I dont want to ship it out if at all possible :lol:

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2019, 06:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Just guessing here but it seems it might be a combination of many things; tracking, focus, RF level, tilt, etc...... The service manual has some adjustment instructions on page 83 (page 56 on the service manual pdf located here....http://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pioneer/CLD/CLD-97/ )

I just got my CLD-97 but haven't had a chance to look around inside my player yet.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2019, 13:27 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Firstly a player like a 97 or 7020 version shouldnt need any minor adjustments, its not like these pots move in shipping or just sitting there over the years.

Crosstalk is a CLV issue and due to discs more times than not, you are going to adjust it for that disc and then another one
will show issues, it will be a never ending game of adjusting to get each disc to work.

Players are set to the middle if that makes sense, so if you have one with major crosstalk you can watch it and one that is done better but still not
perfect will play with little to no issues so that when you have a good disc you won't see any issues.

I only have one case where my Digital audio is distorted and I sort of remember Blam saying something about that being the beginning of rot?
So that disc may be bad.

Also if you have both analog and digital connected to change your settings on the player as Zeta said OR you may have a setting on your amp to
select analog or digital. I had one on my amp from years ago to do manual or automatic selections.

Again try not to tweek a player for 1 single disc if you have a large collection, you may be sorry in the long run.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2019, 14:17 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I appreciate all the input guys and I want to be clear about a few things. The digital audio distortion is consistent across most CLVs. I wouldnt be posting here if I had 1 out 400 discs that sounded bad. The video crosstalk is also fairly consistent. It's not there all the time on every disc, but it's enough that it's a concern.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2019, 15:13 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Then another question I need to make sure of.
Are you storing the LDs properly that they aren't possibly warped from poor storage???

Any adjustments are at your own risk, keep a mark or picture of the pots before you adjust and do very small adjustments if you plan to do your own.
Good luck

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2019, 17:27 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

schweaty wrote:
I appreciate all the input guys and I want to be clear about a few things. The digital audio distortion is consistent across most CLVs. I wouldnt be posting here if I had 1 out 400 discs that sounded bad. The video crosstalk is also fairly consistent. It's not there all the time on every disc, but it's enough that it's a concern.

(This may not be popular advice but it works)

Start with step one, open up the player and find the RF adjustment (rear center) and with a disc playing SLOWLY turn it up (clockwise) until the audio clears up (BEFORE YOU DO THIS TAKE A PICTURE OF THE CURRENT POSITION OF THE ADJUSTMENT SO YOU CAN PUT IT BACK IF THIS DOESN'T HELP). If this solves the problem your laser is getting weak but you can leave this turned up to buy yourself some time.

Once you get that we can talk about the same type of adjustment for crosstalk which is similar, while disc is playing you adjust the tilt until crosstalk is gone.

rein-o is absolutely correct about the different disc issue so if you appear to have solved one or both problems keep the player open and watch several discs to confirm the issue is gone.

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next