It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 20:57

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-3080] Not spinning up discs
PostPosted: 14 May 2019, 19:19 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hey everyone,

Newest broken LD player has just arrived. This CLD-3080 looks great on the outside! When I fire it up, the front display lights up with Side A and B chapters as well as all 0's on the time. I can pop the tray open and put a disc in, but it doesn't do much beyond that.

I found a youtube video exhibiting the same problems, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thSlZhafdH8, but there doesn't seem to be anything said about it.

I've tried placing this in service mode (pull the tray flap lightly when powering up), but I can't get the disc (LD or CD) to spin there either.

Any ideas? Bad ribbon cable? Bad laser assembly?

Post subject: Re: [CLD-3080] Not spinning up discs
PostPosted: 14 May 2019, 21:39 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Pop the top and see if the pickup is going through the motions. It should start out beyond a CD and attempt focus (this would pickup 8 or 12" LDs), then move in toward the motor to pickup 5 and 3" CDs. If you look at the lens at an angle when it is making these checks, you can typically see a hint of the laser. Try it first without any disc and then with a CD or 8" LD so you can see the movements.

No pickup movement is going to be one issue. No laser is going to be another.

PostPosted: 15 May 2019, 22:04 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I just popped the top and the pickup is indeed going through the motions. I had a CD loaded and could see the laser was parked outside the circumference of a CD looking to scan a laserdisc. Since it did not detect one, it moved inwards and tried to scan the CD.

I was watching the laser the whole time and did not see any light from it. If it's just the laser, how far would I need to go to swap it for a known working one? Get a whole assembly? I get that there would be alignment work needing to be done, but it would be great to get this player up and alive again.

Thanks!

PostPosted: 15 May 2019, 22:29 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Easiest way to replace is actually pull the electric cord when it is on side B. Then remove the four screws for he top plate. You will have to manually turn the turn mechanism over to unplug the cable.

I normally take the top mechanism off while the pickup is on side A and unplug the ribbon cable then carefully turn the gears to get the laser into the turn mechanism and flip it over and pop it out of the turn mechanism. You have to be careful doing this as the gears a fragile and a lot of them break and no replacements are available.

he long way is remove the whole mechanism and remove the screw holding the side A rail and swap out the laser.

PostPosted: 15 May 2019, 22:29 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I would check the power going to the laser to verify it is sending voltage to the laser before trying to swap it.

PostPosted: 16 May 2019, 00:14 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Thanks Kurtis. Are the contact points I need to check located in the service manual? I’ve got a multi meter and can check it Friday.

I kind of saw what you mean on how to remove the laser assembly, but I couldn’t figure out the gear I need to manually turn to get the laser to side b. Do I have to remove the back panel to access this? Either way, I’ll get this assembly pulled and hopefully find a replacement.

PostPosted: 17 May 2019, 21:20 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I forgot my multi meter at home today. Instead, I found an intact loading/laser assembly on eBay from a 3070. It should be here next week and I plan to swap out the whole thing. Let's hope no calibration is needed.

PostPosted: 17 May 2019, 23:05 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

ldstl wrote:
I forgot my multi meter at home today. Instead, I found an intact loading/laser assembly on eBay from a 3070. It should be here next week and I plan to swap out the whole thing. Let's hope no calibration is needed.

I don't believe those are compatible.
The 3080 and 95 I believe are but not 100% sure, I think the 3070 is a gen older and uses a different laser and spindles.

3030,2070 and 3070 are the same family of parts I believe.

PostPosted: 17 May 2019, 23:15 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

3070 is not compatible to the 3080, completely different inside

PostPosted: 20 May 2019, 18:52 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Man, that really sucks. I guess I assumed since the model numbers were so close, that it would work. So, I can't even harvest the laser out of the 3070 and put it into the 3080?

Should I make a new thread or just ask in here if someone has a CLD-3080 parts machine? It seems like the others for sale on eBay are exhibiting the same issue (can't read LDs or CDs, rest of unit is fine). Just a frustrating issue to have. Does anyone know where laser diodes can be purchased? I feel like I have nothing to lose here.

PostPosted: 22 May 2019, 22:27 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hey everyone, I received the 3070 laser assembly today. Just for grins, I removed the 3070 laser assembly from the rails and installed it into the 3080. I know you told me it wouldn't work and boy were you right! IT's kind of funny. I put the laser back in it's normal spot on Side A and turned the player on. I closed the drawer and the laser immediately went to flip to side B.

It's funny how that happened. It must have a different instruction set. So, I've still got it in there, but will remove as soon as I find a proper laser assembly from a donor player. The 3070 will not even read side B of a laserdisc in case anyone was wondering.

PostPosted: 22 May 2019, 23:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

On the pickup carrier, there is usually a switch to tell the player the position of the carrier. If the assembly has the switch in the wrong orientation, it might think it needs to be on Side B. The pickup itself has no knowledge of "A" or "B".

This is based on my knowledge of other players, not the 3080 specifically. I've seen this switch be jammed in some cases.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2019, 19:49 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I have an update of sorts. I purchased another CLD-3080 and swapped the laser assembly. I'm now able to get it to recognize CDs and LDs. When I press play on an LD, I get video but it's very garbled. There are intermittent times when I can see the video (copy of Eraser). It's weird though, sometimes it will spin down the video shortly after spinning it up. Alignment issue?

So, I'm going down the road of aligning the laser. I need an oscilloscope and test disc, correct? Would something like https://ebay.us/PyEB2bwork? It's on the cheaper side, but then again I don't know advanced of a scope I'll need for this.

Side note, it will briefly spin a CD up, but I do not get audio. The CD spins down shortly after spinning up. I think this is the laser failing to get a good read and giving up.

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]