It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:58

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-3080] What is this vertical line on the left?
PostPosted: 22 May 2019, 23:59 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hey guys,

Well, in my quest for wasting money on marginal gains and inherent headaches, I took a chance on an eBay Pioneer CLD-3080. The price with shipping was well below what they usually go for and it came with the original remote. I asked the seller to make sure and pack it well, and of course they didn't. Inside the box, there was *zero* padding to the left and right of the player. There was some bubble wrap in front of and behind the player, as well as some above and below. In other words, this player was not *bubble wrapped* - it was just sitting in the box.

At any rate, it didn't come physically damaged, surprisingly, and it seems to function mechanically as intended. BUT there's a thing I'm noticing that I need help with. On the left side of the image, there's a vertical line that's darker than it should be. I have no idea what this would be caused by and hope one of you guys might have an idea. See the attached image.

For what it's worth, I was ready to contact the customer and explain the situation and how it likely got misaligned during shipping, but I took a look at the pictures in their listing which showed the player hooked up to a TV. Sure enough, it's there. No one would have noticed this, as you could mistake it for being part of the movie being played. Anyway, it was like this before they sent it apparently.

Attachments:
cld3080line.jpg
cld3080line.jpg [ 60.19 KiB | Viewed 1401 times ]

Post subject: Re: CLD-3080 - What is this vertical line on the left?
PostPosted: 23 May 2019, 00:31 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’d assume your TV is showing too much of the overscan area. Try other TVs.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 23 May 2019, 01:23 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
I’d assume your TV is showing too much of the overscan area. Try other TVs.

Like he said.

Also.

Use a CRT and you won't see it.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Analog imagery.

BTW how old are you?
If you are too young you would have never experienced this type of thing as they didn't really start to make pure flat screen
TVs until the early to mid aughts and that's when you would really notice this type of thing.

PostPosted: 23 May 2019, 01:37 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

To answer a few questions quickly, I'm in my mid 30s. Owned many CRTs, and am well aware of overscan. I'm recording this on a direct video capture, so there's no TV in the mix. I noticed it instantly and verified that it doesn't happen on other players. Lastly, one of the perks with Laserdisc is that there are no inherent bad areas like there are with VHS (almost always have to crop the bottom 1.8-2% of VHS).

My capture workflow is greatly reliant on the fact that with a good signal chain, I have to do zero post-processing of the videos. I don't want to introduce left-edge cropping and subsequent re-encoding for something that is clearly a player issue.

Hopefully someone who's done a lot of repairs on LD players can chime in if it's an issue they've seen before and know how to correct.

PostPosted: 23 May 2019, 03:30 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Thanks.
Do a search on the Panasonic LX-900 that player has a similar issue.
So it could be the 3080? or that disc how it was mastered from video rather than film?

PostPosted: 23 May 2019, 03:38 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Thanks for the heads up on the LX-900 - I'll do some searches. And of course it's not related to the mastering or the disc itself. I appreciate the suggestion, but trust me, I wouldn't waste anyone's time if I hadn't done my due diligence ruling all of that out and identifying it as the player itself.

Also, in case I come up empty or am not searching for the right thing, I suspect there's a post or two that you're looking at right now and could link me to?

PostPosted: 23 May 2019, 04:13 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Well, I did some deep searching and all I really came up with is some vague mention about the LX-900 cutting off a bit of the picture to the right, which doesn't really fit the bill with what I'm seeing. On the other hand, I tried a handful of other searches to find a match for the problem I'm seeing, and came up with this:

Laserdisc ripped transparent line on right side

I tried powering it off and switching 'inputs' (rca and s-video outputs?) as some suggested and still didn't see any change. It sounds like it may be a problem on the DVL range or some subset thereof, but I didn't find any mentions of the 3080 having this problem. Anyone got a 3080 to confirm whether you're seeing this? For context, it doesn't happen on the CLD-1070, CLD-D703, or CLD-D604 (at least from the captures I took before it broke).

PostPosted: 23 May 2019, 22:23 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Sorry for the bump, but my window of time for returning the player is ticking down. This player is pretty useless to me as is. Does anyone know if this is something that can be fixed?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]