It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:08

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-1450] Remote sensor not working
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2019, 15:37 
Honest fan
Honest fan

One of my CLD-1450s does not respond to the remote control at all (the remote itself is fine, it operates the other 1450 without problem).

It also has a bad 'fishy' smell (leaky capacitor?) when in operation, but works perfectly other than the remote problem - all the front panel buttons work, as does the display.

I removed the front panel. Nothing seems damaged in the area of the sensor, and all three of its connections seem intact (one to ground, one to 5V, and one going to the ribbon cable that heads to the ASCB board).

None of the capacitors in the player that I could see looks suspect.

My thinking was that there might be a leaky capacitor on the ASCB board that deals specifically with the IR sensor.

I've had a quick look at the service manual (with the slight problem that I don't understand electronics!). I can see on page number 56 (page 35/152 on the PDF download from lddb) the ASCB schematic, and the "IR" input there seems to go straight to the 'SR' Out and In jacks at the back.

Looking at the ASCB board, the "C310" and "C311" capacitors shown on the schematic seem to be missing from the actual board... is that significant?

((The other oddity is what looks like a later modification/repair to the player whereby a 1u capacitor has been crudely soldered between one leg of R828 and a +5V jumper.))

I wondered if maybe the "SR In" jack was damaged, as I believe there's a switch on that that disconnects the internal sensor when a plug's inserted. But I tried connecting the 'SR out' of my fully-working 1450 with the 'SR in' of the faulty one, to see if the remote then controlled both players at once - but it didn't work... does this prove that the fault doesn't lie with the front panel sensor, but further down the line...?

Any ideas..?

Post subject: Re: [CLD-1450] Remote sensor not working
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2019, 19:57 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Have you tried looking at the output from the sensor with a scope or logic probe? Following it from the sensor back to the MCU is probably the easiest way to figure out where it's disappearing. Check the sensor's getting power as well.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2019, 21:06 
Honest fan
Honest fan

atsampson wrote:
Have you tried looking at the output from the sensor with a scope or logic probe? Following it from the sensor back to the MCU is probably the easiest way to figure out where it's disappearing. Check the sensor's getting power as well.

Thanks, but sadly I don't have that equipment, only a multimeter :-) perhaps I'm being too ambitious, given that!

I think the sensor itself must be getting power, as it uses the same power feed as the rest of the front panel... and if the problem were there, then I think the player should have reacted to the 'SR In' signal from my other player?

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2019, 21:13 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Can you find some type of app to use your phone camera? to see if the sensor is working.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2019, 22:04 
Honest fan
Honest fan

rein-o wrote:
Can you find some type of app to use your phone camera? to see if the sensor is working.

Hi, do you mean use a mobile phone camera to see if the emitter (in the handset) is working? I'm sure that's not the problem as I know it controls my other 1450... or do you mean something else..? Thanks :-)

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2019, 00:41 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

yaffle2345 wrote:
rein-o wrote:

Hi, do you mean use a mobile phone camera to see if the emitter (in the handset) is working? I'm sure that's not the problem as I know it controls my other 1450... or do you mean something else..? Thanks :-)

Yeah... that's not going to work.

That's only for testing the IR coming out of the remote control to see if the IR light works but it's obvious it does work since you said the remote can control the other player.

I would re-check the SR Control In jack but with a voltmeter to see if maybe the plug is showing some "continuity" when it's plugged or unplugged. You can start with the working player to see what reading you get when a cable is plugged in and when it's not. Then run the test on the bad player to see if it has the same readings or not. If they are different, you might just have a bad mini jack affecting the whole set-up.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2019, 05:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have seen the IR receivers go bad on a handful of occasions. I've mixed and matched IR receivers across multiple player models, but you should stay within he same model series if replacing the sensor so the shielding can fits properly.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2019, 15:41 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I know the camera can see if the light is working from the remote but was wondering if there was an app that would
shoot a signal or something into the player to see if that was picking up?

So yes it was something else I was trying to say LOL.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2019, 23:08 
Honest fan
Honest fan

The problem was with the 'SR' socket - it should have been bypassing the sensor when a plug was inserted, but linking it up again when the plug was removed, but it was permanently bypassing it.

This may offend the more purist of restorers, but rather than removing the circuit board from the player and trying to mend the socket, I soldered in a bit of wire between R341 and R342 to make the connection that the socket should have made. So the SR input will never work again, but at least the remote does :-)

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2019, 23:40 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah, I have to do this to a guitar amp.
The volume is broken and there are replacements but they are a different shape so I will have to remove the old one and add jumper wires
to attach it to the PCB board.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2019, 02:27 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

yaffle2345 wrote:

This may offend the more purist of restorers, but rather than removing the circuit board from the player and trying to mend the socket, I soldered in a bit of wire between R341 and R342 to make the connection that the socket should have made. So the SR input will never work again, but at least the remote does :-)

It’s good to know you did find the issue and it was fairly simple. :thumbup:

I wouldn’t be too concerned about the jack never working again. I think I used my Control In jack for maybe 15 years with my Pioneer AV Receiver before updating to a Denon. Since that time, I haven’t used it again and probably never will.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2019, 20:00 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Personally, I used the SR link when I had a VSX-5000 receiver. When I upgraded to AC3, I switched to a Denon and pulled all of the SR stuff out because all of my components had physical power switches (tape decks, turntable, CD player, LD player) and there wasn't a single "always on" resource to be the master receiver.

My current issue is with having too many LD players on the same "channel". I have an HLD-X9 and a CLD-D925 in the same room and you have to be careful when using buttons that would "power on" a player. Can't use the "Power" button (obviously), but you can't use the "Open/Close" buttons either.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2019, 05:15 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

blam1 wrote:
Personally, I used the SR link when I had a VSX-5000 receiver. When I upgraded to AC3, I switched to a Denon and pulled all of the SR stuff out because all of my components had physical power switches (tape decks, turntable, CD player, LD player) and there wasn't a single "always on" resource to be the master receiver.

I sort of forgot that I had been using the SR Control to daisy chain in my Pioneer, CT-S800, cassette deck from my CLD-3030 and VSX-9700S since there is no IR sensor in the 800.

However, since the deck has been offline for sometime due to stretched belts (already have replacements available so I can fix it later), it was not an issue abandoning SR Control. I do plan to set-up an audio only stereo set-up so I will likely bring back my VSX-9700S from storage and mate them together again along with a turntable.

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]