It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:51

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-D701] Side B Will Not Play
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2019, 07:16 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Recently I acquired a Pioneer CLD-D701 for a little over $100, and overall I'm really satisfied with how the unit works. This is my third player following a Sony MDP-500 which suffered from a faulty tray system and a Pioneer CLD-V2400 with a cracked pickup gear rail. It is currently the most reliable of the three and can play LDs without any significant issue (though CDs appear to play with consistent unwanted 'skipping' sounds during playback). Both digital and S-video outputs work excellent, and while the unit did not come with the proper remote, the one I had for the V2400, the CU-V113, works adequately enough despite the lack of a power button and inability to close the tray after opening it.

While I consider the D701 to be a really great player for more casually minded LD enthusiasts, there is one minor yet significant issue I have with the unit. While the machine is able to play Side A for a disc from beginning to end without error, it suffers from an apparent issue when changing to Side B. Either after playing the entirety of Side A or selecting Side B on the machine itself, the laser successfully changes sides but fails to cross the disc while a mechanical humming can be heard for about seven seconds. After this, the player gives up and changes back to Side A and, though at first appears to be spinning the disc again, ejects it. While I am fully able to complete a video by flipping sides manually, I would like to attempt to fix this issue to allow for seamless playback of double-sided discs, or at the very least, narrow down the specific reason for the malfunction.

Footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lIojVvdT2U

Post subject: Re: Pioneer CLD-D701 - Side B Will Not Play
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2019, 09:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Go to this posting....

Does it get much better than a CLD-D702?

... and see my post with all the pics on "how to replace your loading belt".

That is the issue causing your problem as the loading belt will also adjust tilt on the mechanism during the side change and a weak belt does not have enough torque to push it over all the way.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2019, 10:16 
True fan
True fan

ldfan wrote:
Go to this posting....

That is the issue causing your problem as the loading belt will also adjust tilt on the mechanism during the side change and a weak belt does not have enough torque to push it over all the way.

Haha how many people have you helped at this point? I've seen a few since you helped me, and that was only like a month ago.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2019, 15:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

pokefraker wrote:
Haha how many people have you helped at this point? I've seen a few since you helped me, and that was only like a month ago.

Too many to count i’m afraid ;).

But it’s cool. I can see why many would not think it’s the belt based on what they observe since it doesn’t always give off the usual telltale sign of a slipping belt squeal.

I’m sure we’ll have many more in the future. That reminds me, need to start shopping for more spare belts for my Alpha and Gamma / Epsilon turn players :wtf:.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2019, 17:38 
Third post and above
Third post and above

ldfan wrote:
Go to this posting....

That guide definitely looks pretty helpful, thanks very much! So any SBS3.5" belt will work? I'm currently eying a PEB-097 at the moment.

My only concern is removing the clamp assembly, as I'm worried about possibly tampering with the video calibration of the unit. During an attempt to repair my CLD-V2400, I attempted to remove the laser unit to reach the pickup gear rail and accidentally created playback issues because of it. Your guide definitely makes this specific repair look easy, but if a mistake is possible, is there any way to prevent it aside from only removing the four screws specified?

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2019, 19:10 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

sharked98 wrote:
So any SBS3.5" belt will work? I'm currently eying a PEB-097 at the moment.

I’d play it safe and just order an original PEB1013 belt. They have a good deal on eBay right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-PEB101 ... Swd4tUDaev

sharked98 wrote:
My only concern is removing the clamp assembly, as I'm worried about possibly tampering with the video calibration of the unit. During an attempt to repair my CLD-V2400, I attempted to remove the laser unit to reach the pickup gear rail and accidentally created playback issues because of it. Your guide definitely makes this specific repair look easy, but if a mistake is possible, is there any way to prevent it aside from only removing the four screws specified?

The clamper assembly is pretty foolproof when it comes to staying aligned since you’re removing the entire assembly in one piece. So long as you don’t mess with the Side B Centering adjustment, it will be fine. (Correction >>> it appears that the Side B Centering adjustment is on the auto reverse assembly and not on the clamper section so there would be no chance of any alignment going off since there is nothing to adjust on the clamper)

In any case, it’s better to access the belt in this manner vs. trying to remove the front facade and loading tray which is more work and could potentially knock the tray alignment off (I know forum members who did this and just created a bigger mess).

Last edited by ldfan on 28 Sep 2019, 06:58, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2019, 20:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

While not explicitly stated here, where the mechanism is stopping is where the pickup waits while the tilt adjusts for side B. It has to raise the a** end of the assembly up so the pickup will clear the edge of the disc. As stated above, replace the belt.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2019, 20:46 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Also, if you really feel hesitant to get a belt, you can try cleaning the current belt and gearing assembly that it touches with alcohol for now to see if works better. If the player now does the side change, it doesn’t change the fact that you need a new belt but you can delay it for until it starts happening again (might buy you a week; maybe a month).

Post subject: Re: [CLD-D701] Side B Will Not Play
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2019, 16:23 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Ordered a PEB1013 belt, just got shipped out and should arrive by next week. I'll be sure to post the results once I finish the repair.

Post subject: Re: Pioneer CLD-D701 - Side B Will Not Play  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2019, 06:33 
Third post and above
Third post and above

ldfan wrote:
Go to this posting....

Finally got around to doing the repair, and the unit's working great so far! The guide was very helpful, so thanks for that!

Post subject: Re: [CLD-D701] Side B Will Not Play
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2019, 06:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Great to hear it. :thumbup:

Have fun with your player again. :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]