It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:46

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: [CLD-79] Squealing Noise
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2020, 00:19 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I apologize if this has been discussed before; I could not find a thread with my exact problem.

My CLD-79 started making a loud, intermittent chirping/squealing noise a few weeks ago. It usually happens when the disc first starts playing, but sometimes the noise begins a few minutes into the film. It is also not constant, but there is a rhythm to it. It is very loud and sounds like something rubbing.

My first thought was the spindle pad. However, I found and replaced VEB1237 with a new one, and the problem remained exactly the same.

Any ideas on what else could be rubbing in there to make this noise?

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: Squealing Noise CLD-79
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2020, 01:15 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

This is usually the spindle motor, VXM1053.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2020, 01:25 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I appreciate the quick response. Is there any known work instruction to perform a motor replacement? I'm willing to track one down and replace it if I can find a procedure for the task.

krbahr wrote:
This is usually the spindle motor, VXM1053.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2020, 03:09 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I should point out that I have no other symptoms. Discs play and the image is fine. But the squealing is so loud, watching LDs is not fun.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2020, 03:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I don't have this particular player, but the mechanism looks very much like the CLD-D703.

Remove the entire player mechanism as one unit. This includes the tray mechanics, spindle motor, loader motor, pickup, everything. It is held on with 4 screws. You don't need to disassembly the mechanism itself. With it removed, the motor is held on with 3 screws and can drop out of the bottom of the mechanism.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2020, 04:44 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Yes, same mechanism as the 703. The issue it that the replacement motor will be the bare motor without the power wires or disc clamp. You'll have to remove those from your motor and find an appropriate glue of adhesive to hold the clamping part at the correct height on the new motor.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2020, 16:14 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

krbahr wrote:
Yes, same mechanism as the 703. The issue it that the replacement motor will be the bare motor without the power wires or disc clamp. You'll have to remove those from your motor and find an appropriate glue of adhesive to hold the clamping part at the correct height on the new motor.

What is the layman's success rate on this task? I'm willing to try it, but if there's a good chance I'm going to brick this unit after spending $100+ on a new motor, am I better off putting that money towards a replacement player?

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2020, 21:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

sgtdave wrote:
krbahr wrote:

What is the layman's success rate on this task? I'm willing to try it, but if there's a good chance I'm going to brick this unit after spending $100+ on a new motor, am I better off putting that money towards a replacement player?

Krbahr is correct on getting a brand new motor from Pioneer. However at this point, you're probably going to find motors pulled from a player which (in theory) should already have the wiring and turntable set. In my experience with the D703, D704 and 07G, I've never had to change the motor, only the turntable grip ring.

It's also worth mentioning that it could be the upper clamp assembly too. I've seen the upper bearing dry out and squeal like a stuck pig. Does pushing slightly on the center of the clamp assembly (while playing) change the noise in any way?

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2020, 01:36 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

blam1 wrote:
It's also worth mentioning that it could be the upper clamp assembly too. I've seen the upper bearing dry out and squeal like a stuck pig.

I've had this happen before as well. Quite loud and annoying. I just added a dot of white lithium grease to each ball and it resolved it quite well.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2020, 02:22 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I agree it could be the top ball bearing also. The top bearing will not have as large of an affect with the rotation speed where when the motor bearings start to wear the shaft will drop a little and you can start to see artifacts in the picture. I have ran into more bad spindle motors that the top clamp but have seen both.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2020, 02:36 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Excellent idea. I am have a little difficulty determining if it actually gets better when I press down on the upper clamp, or if I'm imagining it (I blame my tinnitus). However, it makes sense sense the picture is not noticably affected.

Since it is the lowest hanging fruit, I will pick up some lithium grease and report back.

Thanks everyone.

cplusplus wrote:
blam1 wrote:
It's also worth mentioning that it could be the upper clamp assembly too. I've seen the upper bearing dry out and squeal like a stuck pig.

I've had this happen before as well. Quite loud and annoying. I just added a dot of white lithium grease to each ball and it resolved it quite well.

Post subject: Re: Squealing Noise CLD-79  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2020, 05:12 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Well, I greased the upper clamp bearings. Initially, it actually got worse. I recorded the noise here: https://youtu.be/Pa_9gU6wWm4 .

Keep in mind, this is after the grip pad was replaced and the upper clamp ball bearings were greased.

However, after playing a disc for about 10 minutes, the sound went away. After switching to side B, the squealing began again for about 30 seconds before quieting down again.

I guess it's the waiting game now. If it comes back regularly, the improvement could have been a temporary fluke, and I may have to replace the motor after all. If it continues to improve, then the bearing grease just needed worked in better.

Am I on the right track?

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2020, 07:04 
True fan
True fan

sgtdave wrote:

Am I on the right track?

If the noise has stopped, I would say you are.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-79] Squealing Noise
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2020, 05:36 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Watched an entire movie tonight with zero squeal! Looks like the bearing grease just needed worked in a little longer.

You guys rock. Thanks for the advice!

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2020, 04:07 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Well, that ear-splitting squeal came back after about 12-15 discs. I regreased the upper clamp, and it worked fine for one disc. However, it returned the very next day.

I hate to give up on a CLD-79. Against my better judgement I ordered a used, preassembled spindle motor from an eBay seller out of South Korea. With all that's going on, I don't expect it to arrive for a few months.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2020, 16:22 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

For now I would order some longer cables or some type of box and run it until its dead then try the swap.

Good luck

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2020, 17:48 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Keep in mind you will probably have adjust the centering after you swap the motor out.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 05:25 
First post
First post

Did you ever receive that motor and swap it out? I was eyeing another motor from that same seller, but it just sold.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 15:23 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I bought it, but I chickened out when it came time to install it. I was searching for some kind of documentation or instructions to replace it when I got distracted by work. I hope I can find something to help guide me through the process when I have more time.

Concerning the seller: if you contact him via eBay, he will post whatever you need upon request (if he has it). That's what I did. I just messaged him with the model number, and he posted one the next day. I will say the box from Korea came pretty banged up, and the motor just had a thin sheet of bubble wrap taped to it. However, on the surface, it appears undamaged.

If you end up getting one and installing it, please record the process. Godspeed.

nealgrof wrote:
Did you ever receive that motor and swap it out? I was eyeing another motor from that same seller, but it just sold.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 19:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You have to remove the RPM sensor and unplug the spindle motor power from the power supply, I usually loosen the 3 screws holding the spindle motor (just loosen them, not remove) the one screw you'll either need a smaller head screwdriver, remove the pickup give rail or push sideways on the assembly to expose more of the screw. Then to remove the metal portion and the mechanical assembly from the black plastic base. That gives you the best access. With the tray out turn the gears to put the mechanical assembly in position that the tray is fully loaded, you'll see one part of the base sliding back. When it just reaches full back stop turning the gears. On one side toward the back on the base piece that moves you'll see a tab which keeps it from going back further, bend the tab back and slide the base piece back further. then you see the tabs on the metal part lined up with the holes in the base so you can lift it out. You'll need to remove the ribbon cable in back at either end and the blue/white wires on the side unplug from the main board. You'll need to turn the load gears to return the base to partially position to unhook the spindle motor wire. Now you can replace the motor, make sure you put the tab for the motor wires back in the position the current motor is in, the other positions will snap the wiring tab off. Then reverse the process.

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next