It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:24

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-V2400] Disc skipping- alignment or bad disc?
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2020, 03:57 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I have a V2400 that I got from a goodwill auction. It survived FexEx from California to Pennsylvania, and I've been using it since October. A couple nights ago I encountered my first real problem with it.

When watching Golden Age of Looney Tunes, Vol 2, side 5, the disc starts skipping just as soon as the "Bacall to Arms" title card comes up (which is the last short on the disc). And when I say skipping, I mean just like a vinyl record. It stays rocking back and forth on a frame or two of the title card until I scan forward or eject the disc. I took the disc out and there was some kind of crumb stuck to it far toward the outside, but even after cleaning it off the thing still skipped when playing. After letting the player cool down for a day, playing the disc again results in skipping at the same spot, but the disc will advance after a few skips. The first time it would not advance at all until I used the remote to scan forward.

There are two points of note on the disc itself. First off, I will admit I was a blonde as a child and am dumb as to if LDs are manufactured like records or CDs. (I thought it was CDs but they all say "program material was recorded only on the other side" so I'm confused!) So I looked at both sides of the disc. The side labeled "side 5" seems to have a flaw in the data layer- there's along "m" like wave on one part. And the side labeled "side 6" has a little light/faint scratching in the shape of a ball about an inch from the center hole. Not deep at all, it actually looks like a fuzzy.

A reddit user suggested that the disc could be warped or the player could be misaligned. This is a one sided player, so I flipped the disc over and the other side plays okay. If the disc is warped, I can't tell. So if the disc isn't bad... Does this sound like the innards of the player are starting to go? I was under the impression this player is a tank, but all things go bad I guess. I would like to fix it if I can, since there aren't many places to get these things around here.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-V2400] Disc skipping- alignment or bad disc?
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2020, 04:33 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

How many discs do you have? If you have 500 LDs and one side of one them skips then...that’s pretty good luck. If this box set is your entire collection then I think we haven’t seen a large enough statistical sample. If you see defects on the disc in the very area of the problem then I’d suspect the disc.

Alignment is usually more like something that ruins the picture quality of every second of the disc than something that will cause skipping only in one spot.

“One inch from the center hole” is still in the label. It must be further than that?

For the record, LDs start at the beginning and play outward. The labels are the reverse of where the data actually is.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2020, 04:54 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Pretty much what Zeta said. If you only have issues with that disc, it is more than likely not your player.

shinobipopcorn wrote:
I was under the impression this player is a tank

It really isn't. I think the industrial moniker can be a little misleading.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2020, 05:01 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Thanks to the both of you. The player is definitely as heavy as a tank, even if it isn't as strong as one.

The scratch is on the side labeled "side 6" (so it would be 5's data side), and is one inch from the edge of the label. I attached a pic. My fault there, I wasn't thinking when I said center hole. I have 185 sides according to the site and I've watched about half of them so far. This is the first to skip so it very well could be a bad disc. It's funny because out of all the LT boxes I've got, this set was the "mintiest" of them.

Attachments:
scratch.jpg
scratch.jpg [ 434.35 KiB | Viewed 2255 times ]

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2020, 05:09 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

That’s a pretty hellacious scratch. But Bacall to Arms isn’t located there so aparently it’s playing right through it. :)

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2020, 07:20 
Just shammy the whole side. I've had a disc that at first try sounded like it had wrecked my player. Three or four minutes shammying reduced that to skipping like you describe, then some more to skipping but able to fast forward through it, then after some more to finally playing properly. There are limits to what can be done but if it's glue you're likely to get it fully playing.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2020, 18:14 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I have had discs (although very rarely) that looked near perfect, no warping but had some sort of manufacturing defect.

In regards to warped discs though, it is hard to tell if it has some minor warping unless you hold the disc up and look at the disc from the side. I have gotten into the habit of this before I play any disc new to my collection.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2020, 19:48 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

You can lay the disc on something perfectly flat. If it’s warped you’ll see it.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2020, 21:16 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

What's the best way to store discs to avoid warping them? I have mine in crates, standing up on edge like records since I have no shelving for them.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2020, 01:50 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

That’s fine.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2020, 23:16 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

shinobipopcorn wrote:
Thanks to the both of you. The player is definitely as heavy as a tank, even if it isn't as strong as one.

The scratch is on the side labeled "side 6" (so it would be 5's data side), and is one inch from the edge of the label. I attached a pic. My fault there, I wasn't thinking when I said center hole. I have 185 sides according to the site and I've watched about half of them so far. This is the first to skip so it very well could be a bad disc. It's funny because out of all the LT boxes I've got, this set was the "mintiest" of them.

You sure that's not a hair?? Did you try to wipe it off??

Shouldn't be the cause but since that looks like a CLV you have to remember that side holds about 55 minutes and discs
play from the center out, so if calulations are correct from not knowing what the title is I woudl say it woud skip at about 15 or so minutes
in and should be playing through that if that's where the issue is.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2020, 23:17 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
That’s a pretty hellacious scratch. But Bacall to Arms isn’t located there so aparently it’s playing right through it. :)

Oh yeah, look at pic again, looks like its possibly the dead side.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2020, 00:40 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

It's not a hair, trust me I've tried to wipe it off and it's stuck on there.

The disc is Golden Age of Looney Tunes vol. 2, side 5. The error occurs on the last short of the side, while the other side plays fine despite that weird wave in the layer.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2020, 02:28 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

My assumption was that the scratch was put there by someone trying to figure out why the disc won’t play. This may have been 25 years ago.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2020, 02:55 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
My assumption was that the scratch was put there by someone trying to figure out why the disc won’t play. This may have been 25 years ago.

Quite possible. I always wonder about stuff like this. Another one is: "Are those fingerprints on the disc from BBQ sauce or chocolate?"

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2020, 17:28 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

shinobipopcorn wrote:
It's not a hair, trust me I've tried to wipe it off and it's stuck on there.

The disc is Golden Age of Looney Tunes vol. 2, side 5. The error occurs on the last short of the side, while the other side plays fine despite that weird wave in the layer.

Then its not the scratch, would be at the other end of the playing side.
Luckly this isn't worth as much as it used to be so I wouldn't worry and just pickup another copy.
I remember paying 80 or 100 bucks for this when new so you have a deal :lol:

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ]